Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just played the Halo demo. If the demo is any representation of what the full release of the game is I’m really puzzled why this game is so popular. From the a few hours of game play Halo is an average science fiction first person shooter.

In the demo single player campaign a team of marines make an assault on the alien Covenant base. The Master Chief which is you, will make his way into the Covenant base and gather information.

Weapons: You can only carry two weapons and grenades. You can swap your weapon with the enemies’ weapons lying on the ground. This can lead to some strategic planning to which weapons you want to carry, but there’s a downside to the limited weapon slots. Since there’s not a lot of ammo around you find yourself backtracking to pick up loaded weapons because you used all the ammo in the current weapon.

Level Design: In the demo the raid is done on an island. The outdoor environment is okay but once you get inside the alien bases the design is flawed. The entire alien base designs look the same bringing in some confusion as to where you are going. When you complete your mission inside the base you have to backtrack to the outside, which is a pain.

Ally A.I.: In the beginning of the game there’s a whole team of marines fighting along side of you. There’s an epic feel as your squad shoot up the Covenant units. After the first group of aliens is killed off they stop moving. Yup, you have to continue on with the mission all by yourself. This draws you away from the game. You got a whole squad of marines doing nothing while you have to be the one-man army.

When you drive the Warthog, you do get two soldiers to aid you, but their roles are limited. The two grunts just shout out phrases about killing the aliens and man the guns. Once you get out of the Warthog they just stand there and do nothing. It would be nice if I could give out commands to the bots to have them do something.

Enemy A.I. The enemy goes through a predictable pattern. They shoot, duck and walk around their patrols. The Covenant never charge towards you or run after you. You can always shoot into a room, duck back behind a corner and reload your weapon and charge up your shield and then finish them off.

Instead of making the aliens smarter, I find the aliens use cheap tactics to kill you off. There are aliens with cloaking armor that you don’t know they are in the room until you are right next to them and then they start attacking you. Rooms that you cleared earlier will respawn with more enemies when you backtrack with the completed task.

Vehicle: In the demo there’s only one vehicle available and it is the Warthog. The Warthog is a three person armored buggy with a gatling gun in the rear. The passenger side has the person firing his personal weapon. I find driving the Warthog very slippery and not solid. I have driven the Unreal Tournament 2004 Hellbender and I find the steering to be more superior to the Warthog.

Final Thoughts: After playing the most hyped FPS game I don’t understand what is so great about it. Maybe something was lost during the translation from the console to the PC.

The graphics doesn’t look so good on my low end system. (P3 733, 512 RAM & Geforce 2 MX) :heh:

·
Classic Games Lover
5,280 Posts
RZetlin said:
After playing the most hyped FPS game I don’t understand what is so great about it. Maybe something was lost during the translation from the console to the PC.
Agreed. PC has more interesting FPSes and if it's about Sci-Fi FPS games I find for example Unreal better than Halo. I guess it needn't have been ported to PC, they should've left it an Xbox exclusive.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just bc is like the most decent fps for consoles.. and ppl hear about that, and thinks that is a masterpiece or something, that's why is all the hype, all my friends thinks that halo is awsome or something (lol), but is obvious, that they don't play fps on the pc(bc they don't).

Shin Mike.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
hey Rzetlin, 2001 called, they want their videogame review back :???:

Halo came out in 2001 for Xbox and in 2003 for PC. you're way, way, way behind the times man.

when i first saw the thread i was about to close it because i thought it was an old dead thread revival (we used to have hella Halo PC threads back in 2003 if you remember) but i saw it and i was like oO

i'm gonna leave this open for discussion, im sure someone still wants to discuss Halo...

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hushypushy said:
hey Rzetlin, 2001 called, they want their videogame review back :???:

Halo came out in 2001 for Xbox and in 2003 for PC. you're way, way, way behind the times man.

when i first saw the thread i was about to close it because i thought it was an old dead thread revival (we used to have hella Halo PC threads back in 2003 if you remember) but i saw it and i was like oO

i'm gonna leave this open for discussion, im sure someone still wants to discuss Halo...
I have a habit of playing games several years after its released.

It makes it a little easier to see what the game is truly is passed the hype.

I will tell you that the next screenshots that will be posted will be a game released this September 2005. :)

·
___GANTZ Fan Boy___
406 Posts
hey Rzetlin, 2001 called, they want their videogame review back

when i first saw the thread i was about to close it because i thought it was an old dead thread revival (we used to have hella Halo PC threads back in 2003 if you remember) but i saw it and i was like

/Me feel like you, I though it's a dead-raising thread....

But I agree with RZetlin, I've play Halo (long, long time ago....) but I'am not really like it. Story, gameplay, graphic (Pc version), Nothing appealed me.

And when Halo2 came out, after read many many reviewer said about good thing in the game, I bought it. But IMO, it's just another FPS game, just like the first Halo. I don't know why so many people love it.

This doesn't mean it's a bad game, but I just want to say that I agree with you, doesn't really like this game.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I personally like Halo. The singleplayer is nice, if not a bit repetitive (though I have played MUCH worse). The real gem about this game is the multiplayer (as has been said). It's not the best multiplayer, but there's plenty of servers, and the people are normally kind. No CS kiddies playing that game, thank goodness, though the last game I went in had someone named "omfghax"... okay, there are some cs kiddies, but nonetheless, it's fun. :)

·
Computer Nerd
162 Posts
what you expect its a poory done port of the xbox ver. now if they kept it as planned for the pc as it was in the first place then none of this would had happen.

all it is is just the one thats on the xbox without the co-op since bungie wouldnt let gearsoft edit the code to fix the co-op.

it ran great for me when i had my GF4Ti. the game does not support AA so turning it on is not a good idea. it wouldnt be halo if they let u carrry more then 2 weapons at a time.

they added pixel shaders to the pc ver. so you need DX8.0 card to use the pixel shaders, DX7 cards do not have pixel shaders support so thats another reason it doesnt look so great on your Gf2mx400.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
RZeltin... it's realy realy behind, you haven't told anything new ;) I agree with you :D even in multiplayer I think it suX hard... why it had all that hype I dunno till today

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
FLaRe85 said:
Halo and Halo 2 are popular because of their exceptional multiplayer, which you didn't even touch on.
yep, anyone who says Halo has crappy multiplayer is totally out of their mind, they must've not been playing the same game that i did...even Halo PC is fantastically fun, it was great playing with kirby/flare/elly etc even when the ping was like 300 because Elly was the server :D

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
http://www.flaretech.net/halovid.asp?v=ts_coagulation_90705

The new team snipers playlist in Halo 2 is insanely fun. I also enjoy the friendly environment on Halo that Modem1 mentioned. After that game, even though I completely destroyed the other team, gukeNukem was kind enough to send me a friend request, congratulating me on such a great game and invited me to join him in some TS and DT.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I like this game as well. I have the PC version and I think that this is an excellent game. The singleplayer was great, I liked the story, the music is great and the multiplayer rocks. Can't wait to play the PC version of Halo 2. :D

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
i mean, i wouldnt really have a problem with the thread revival if it was ya know, actually about the halo demo i wouldnt really have a problem...but anyway, enough of reviewing a game thats almost 5 solid years old. i mean, it's like, everyone has played Halo, do we really need to review it?

·
Registered
700 Posts
man you just cant compare Halo on PC with Halo on XBox. They are not the same. The feeling of playing Halo is way different whn you play it on XBox. Anyways yea its all about Halo 2 and Halo 2 on XLive!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.