Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I managed to be one of the first to get my hands on a copy last night. I preordered through EBGames and went to the whole Midnight Madness thing. They said to show up at 9:00pm, so I did and paid off my presell, then went to the back of the line (which wasn't very long yet). Then they handed us out numbered flyers. I ended up with #33, which wasn't bad. All that was left once the flyers were out was to wait until 12:01am, when they could start selling it. There were tons and I mean TONS of Halo freaks there. Some people were dressed in homemade Halo 2 outfits while a lot of others had official Bungie and Halo shirts. They had a few terminals setup with the original Halo on it, so there were some tournaments going on. At 11:00pm, they shoved us back out the door to lineup in numbered flyer order and they started raffling off a bunch of games and Halo 2 merchandise. I didn't win anything, but I didn't really care because most of the games I either already owned, or they sucked. :p That last hour freaking felt like forever. It was so fscking cold outside the store. Though, around 12:15, I finally got my hands on a copy and an official Halo 2 strategy guide.

I played campaign mode into the wee hours of the night and even a few of my XBox Live friends noticed I had Halo 2 and invited me to some matches, but I declined, since I'd only had the game for about an hour or so and didn't feel up to going multiplayer live yet.

I'd say it's a little too early to judge overall, but so far Halo 2 feels like a completely different game when compared to the original. There were some MAJOR changes. A lot of these changes made the game HARD. The first thing I noticed was the elimination of health. You no longer have that second lifeline after your shields deplete. If your shields get wasted and you're hit just a few more times, you're gone, now. The graphics are very....plastic looking. They seemed to have focused a lot more on the facial features of characters now so they look nice. Master Chief has some new armor this time around, so he looks a bit nicer. Cortana was also surprisingly well-animated. She has flowing long hair and everything. The next major change was in weapons. I am so screwed in this game, because they eliminated the scope on the pistol, so the weapon basically blows. It seems to have been replaced with something called the battle rifle, which fires highly concentrated rounds in short bursts. Then you have another smaller submachinegun that's similar to the assault rifle only fires much faster. The rocket launcher seems to fire faster and takes less of a straight path, now and sniping has become a lot easier since you don't really have to lead your shots anymore do to the increased speed of the bullets. I haven't found a shotgun yet, but the instruction manual says they're in there. It's also possible to carry up to 3 weapons at any one time, because of the dual-wield option where you wield and attack with 2 weapons. Most marine and covenant weapons allow this. It took some getting used to since each trigger fires its respective side's weapon and you have to watch your ammo to make sure you're not stuck reloading both guns while in a firefight. I'm also noticing several additions to the covenant weaponry. The original plamsa pistol and plasma rifle are there along with needler and fuel-rod gun, but they have an assload of new weapons. There's this plasma sniper now that is wielded by jackals....pisses me off. Then they have this "light" version of the fuel-rod that fires straight instead of at an arc. The elite energy sword is more commonly seen so we get enough chances to wield it ourselves, I'm guessing. The new "brutes" also have this grenade launcher that can kick your ass. Another interesting addition to the weapon system is the ability to trade your weapon with marine troops. They'll willingly give you whatever they're carrying and take your current weapon now if you want. Another thing you'll notice is the addition of turrets everywhere.

It seems we also got screwed over with the vehicles this time. Both warthogs from the PC version and the scorpion tank are there, but that's it. The covenant get their ghosts, banshees, wraith tanks, along with these new spectre and shadow vehicles. You also tend to see A LOT of vehicle use in Halo 2. Ghosts are extremely abundant and I noticed when I picked up my first hog and went for a joyride through a tunnel, I saw another 5 or 6 drive by from behind me. Also, as most of you already know, vehicles can take damage now...and boy do they ever take damage. You can wear a warthog down to nothing but wheels and sparks and still drive it before it'll explode. Ghosts and banshees are my favorite. When you damage them enough, they'll spin around, shoot straight up, or fly forward before exploding in half. The bad thing is that it can hit you if you're too close or it can be a good thing if it hits a nearby enemy. I guess I should also mention that you can damage the drop-ships now. Of course, they've been pumped up with somthing like 4 turrets on them now instead of the original one so they'll get on your nerves fast.

Hopefully this doesn't spoil anything, but you get to play as a covenant elite in campaign mode and, as I understand, multiplayer, now. It's actually pretty fun, since you can willingly turn active camoflague on and off. I haven't seen camo for the chief yet. This is all the farther I've progressed through the story though, so I can't really tell you much more.

Multiplayer looks intersting. Though I haven't tried it yet, I must say that the menus are very impressive. :p It looks hella slick. You have MANY new options for multiplayer. As I mentioned earlier, you can set your profile up as a covenant or master chief character. They added this new thing where you can create a symbol that goes on your shoulder and that symbol is your entity online. XBox Live is supposed to keep track of stats and get as comprehensive as favorite weapon(s), best map, worst map, etc... and the stats are supposed to be viewable on the web somewhere, I hear. One other thing I noticed in the options was a "mask voice" feature. I'm not quite sure what this does, but my guess is it disguises your voice if you're one of the shy type. :p It's just...incredible.

I haven't played enough to say whether or not it's an awesome game, but I like it so far. It's VERY different from the first and I'm sure I'm going to have to develop new tactics for multiplayer, since the changes mean my old strategies won't work. If anybody has the game and wants to hit me up online, my Live ID is FLaRe85 (duh).

I'm interested in hearing other's thoughts on the game. :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm going to buy a copy of Halo later today, if I can actually find any... My gamer tag is Xzyx987X, so feel free to add me if ur looking for a match :D.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Dang, nice review flare :D Almost makes me want to buy an xbox now... :cry:

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
I can't stand shooters on the Xbox. I just hope they release it for the PC. :)

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
They will eventually...I hate FPS's on all consoles (except Metroid Prime and Timesplitters/Goldeneye Loved those) RPG's and Platformers need to stick to consoles -_-

·
Registered
356 Posts
Never liked the first Halo and defiantly thought it was over-rated. Halo 2 looks like it might be better, but I'm scepitic. I think it's going to be unfair if this game wins game of the year just because of all the hype.

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
Halo was highly overrated. It only got so much attnetion because it was "pretty much" the only game worth buying on the Xbox. Overall it was an ubergeneric FPS with a sub-par storyline. Coop was the only thing worth playing for me, looks to be the same with the sequel since I can play much better fps's with more comfortable controls and better graphics online without an Xbox on my computer :p

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
To tell you the truth I don't really play FPS single player mode more than once. I love to play online though :) I don't have Xbox live so I will wait for the PC release.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
N1ghtw0lf said:
They will eventually...I hate FPS's on all consoles (except Metroid Prime and Timesplitters/Goldeneye Loved those) RPG's and Platformers need to stick to consoles -_-
I don't think they will this time. The main selling point for Halo PC was the online netplay, which Halo XBox didn't have. Although, with Halo 2, the online play is there. I actually got my first taste of XBox Live multiplayer this afternoon. It absolutely rules. Nothing on the PC can come close to this kind of experience. The proximity chat is hilarious. I decided to pay a visit to the "training grounds" (unranked matches) and it was just infested with n00bs that were always saying stuff like "omg, how did you kill me," "wtf," etc.. I played a few ranked games also and did pretty well overall. I found my stats online already -> http://www.bungie.net/Stats/PlayerGameList.aspx?player=FLaRe85 :D

As for your notion that FPSes should be kept off of consoles, I think I'll have to disagree with you there. The XBox controller just outright destroys any other controller out there when it comes to the FPS genre. I MUCH prefer the left analog stick to a "asdw" keyboard scheme. It feels more fluid and doesn't tend to make my fingers as sore as a keyboard would.

·
Interplay sucks!
1,219 Posts
Hmm, I hope the pc conversion don't suck as bad as the first one did...

I thought Halo was a good fps, pretty good storyline IMO than most of the recent fps on the PC, too bad the later levels are pretty standard, you just replay the levels that you've passed before.

I'm speaking strickly on the SP experience, can't play MP here so can't comment on that altho on the x-box it's pretty much the main staple of lan party around here.

But yeah, I never know why the first one gets so much hype.....

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
FLaRe85 said:
I don't think they will this time. The main selling point for Halo PC was the online netplay, which Halo XBox didn't have. Although, with Halo 2, the online play is there. I actually got my first taste of XBox Live multiplayer this afternoon. It absolutely rules. Nothing on the PC can come close to this kind of experience. The proximity chat is hilarious. I decided to pay a visit to the "training grounds" (unranked matches) and it was just infested with n00bs that were always saying stuff like "omg, how did you kill me," "wtf," etc.. I played a few ranked games also and did pretty well overall. I found my stats online already -> http://www.bungie.net/Stats/PlayerGameList.aspx?player=FLaRe85 :D

As for your notion that FPSes should be kept off of consoles, I think I'll have to disagree with you there. The XBox controller just outright destroys any other controller out there when it comes to the FPS genre. I MUCH prefer the left analog stick to a "asdw" keyboard scheme. It feels more fluid and doesn't tend to make my fingers as sore as a keyboard would.
Just Personal Preference, If i ever saw the man who designed the Xbox controller walking on the street, i'de probably jack him in his face. I'll end up playing it at my weekly LAN party this week and i'll give my opinion, but i can't believe any game on xbox (especially an FPS) can top any of my favorite FPS's, especially since i didn't like Halo 1.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
To you Halo2 on the Xbox is good, but I just hate not using a mouse in an FPS games (I've tried Halo1 with a contoler before and it was infuriating)

·
Registered
774 Posts
It takes some getting used to, but halo works better with a controller than most fps's. BTW, all of those who claimed the original Halo was overrated obviously never went to any LAN parties with it :p.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
I hate using thumbsticks for aiming, the accuracy of the mouse is unmatched in FPS's. Now if there was a way to get the best of both worlds...

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Emulator! :p Well maybe in a few years? :D

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
__Xzyx987X said:
It takes some getting used to, but halo works better with a controller than most fps's. BTW, all of those who claimed the original Halo was overrated obviously never went to any LAN parties with it :p.
Yes i have, and its ridiculously monotonous and aggrivating (controls and trying to see in split screen) after about...2 minutes. I personally found our giant games of Super Smash Brothers much more entertaining. :p

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Razor Blade said:
Emulator! :p Well maybe in a few years? :D
How about a few minutes damnit! :cry: :p

·
band
4,912 Posts
Super Smash Brothers
dude...how can u compare Halo and SSM?!??! SSM as a party game is so good its unfair.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
N1ghtw0lf said:
Yes i have, and its ridiculously monotonous and aggrivating (controls and trying to see in split screen) after about...2 minutes. I personally found our giant games of Super Smash Brothers much more entertaining. :p
Giant? Isn't it just a 4 player game? I just got done playing a 16 person Halo 2 match over the Internet. :p

·
Interplay sucks!
1,219 Posts
Reichfuher said:
I hate using thumbsticks for aiming, the accuracy of the mouse is unmatched in FPS's. Now if there was a way to get the best of both worlds...
You can use the keyboard and mouse with xbox or ps2 now with this device.

Those that reviewed it and sait it was pretty good :)

1 - 20 of 81 Posts