Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Didn't start taking them 'till a while into the game (hey, I was quite engrossed with looking at the graphics of this game, and, I just didn't think of it), so I'll post some that i started to take. This game is... awesome... I'm really loving it so far. The boat stuff went a little long so far, but that's fine, it really doesn't hurt it any. NOTE: One of the screenshots was too big, so I had to resize it down some. The rest fit fine. Now if you excuse me, I think I'm just gonna...

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:
- Modem

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
Hl2

D**amn, this source engine is amazing, I was really amazed at the playground in the beginning (the physics let's you play like when you were a kid ), and it just gets more impressing as you see the faces of the characters and so on, one word WOW, BTW you're lucky if you have a high-end ATI card. The game runs silk-smooth with all settings on high. :wub:

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
OMG, impressive screen shots.
The game looks much more impressive then Doom 3

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
It does look nice, but i don't think it looks as nice as Doom 3. aside from mdels everything looks so...square. I'll probably be picking it up sooner than i wanted to due to my friends wanting to play it and mods at LAN parties :(. UT2K4 still outscored it on Gamespot though ;)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Comparing Doom 3 and HL2 is like comparing Peanut butter and jelly. sure they are in the same category, but they are also totally different. Doom 3's graphics were nice, but I prefer HL2's "real" aproach better. But IMHO you can't be comparing the two. Please oh god let's not have a HL2 vs Doom 3 thread :rolleyes:

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
Razor Blade said:
Comparing Doom 3 and HL2 is like comparing Peanut butter and jelly. sure they are in the same category, but they are also totally different. Doom 3's graphics were nice, but I prefer HL2's "real" aproach better. But IMHO you can't be comparing the two. Please oh god let's not have a HL2 vs Doom 3 thread :rolleyes:
Just stating my opinion on what he said, i wasn't triggering anything :p. I still think that everything looks way too square in HL2 though from what i've seen, not that it doesn't look fun.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well you know how some people work. One person says Doom 3 in a HL2 thread and all hell breaks loose! (or vice-versa) :p

The only things I see as being blocky are the hills and some buildings. Even so, I would say the detail and hnigh poly counts in the characters, vehicles and gund make up for it. The textures also look nice and sharp. :D

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
Well with the Stats ive seen so far everyone is getting EXCELLENT FPS's, but thats primarily because the engine was made 2 years ago, i think they could have added some bumpmapping or something to add a little even if it does slow it down a little, since everything runs so fast anyways. The textures look great, but they don't look like anything i could reach out and feel the surface of. Kind of lacking but other than that the models and guns do look good.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Bump mapping has been so overused. Especially in Doom 3. It makes textures look horrible and blurry. I'm sooo glad they didn't use bumpmapping. IMO it's just an easy way to make something look good from a distance. At least with this game things look decent up close as well. Plus the fact they use shaders throughout is one thing that doesn't show the engine's age. There's many effects we never seen in games before that HL2 brings to the table :)

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
Razor Blade said:
Bump mapping has been so overused. Especially in Doom 3. It makes textures look horrible and blurry. I'm sooo glad they didn't use bumpmapping. IMO it's just an easy way to make something look good from a distance. At least with this game things look decent up close as well. Plus the fact they use shaders throughout is one thing that doesn't show the engine's age. There's many effects we never seen in games before that HL2 brings to the table :)
i wasn't talking about bumpmapping to that extent. But everything in the game you can absolutely positively asure yourself that they are 2d. There doesn't even seem to be a feeling of depth. If your gonna just stick a texture on a cube and call it a room, at least add some depth. And most of the effects are just small variations of one effect. Now i'm gonna stop nagging before Reich, MetaMurphy, and ChaosBlade show up and refuse me the right to an opinion.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as saying that. They do add a lot of "accessories" so to speak to walls and rooms. Like pipes, bookshelves, etc ... Well take a look for yourself in the screens above. They do this throughout the game as well.

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
Razor Blade said:
I wouldn't go as far as saying that. They do add a lot of "accessories" so to speak to walls and rooms. Like pipes, bookshelves, etc ... Well take a look for yourself in the screens above. They do this throughout the game as well.
i know, and not to say that actual rooms are just cubes with stuff in them, but i was moreso speaking of outside enviorments, since thats pretty much its big "thing". Alot of the buildings or things in the eviorment are quite blocky, and some of their textures are decently crappy. But i guess if your not really looking it doesn't matter. I'm yet to try any gameplay so i can't gripe about that...guess i'm done for now :p

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
The outdoor environments in doom 3 looked unbeliavably crappy ( the few of them there was), so if you're comparing this game to doom 3, you better just do the indoor stuff. Indoor's doom 3 had better lightning and shadows. However where half-life 2 really shines, and surpases far cry, and doom 3 by a mile is characters , check out the facial animation you can see sadness, eyes are moving and so on. Physics are great to... and there'll be even better looking levels released by valve the source engine can handle better graphic, you'll see they've already promised some even bettert looking leves, I can't wait for them.

On a side not... Vampire: Bloodlines, same engine YES, I have to get this game... too bad it's not on steam.

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
ChankastRules said:
The outdoor environments in doom 3 looked unbeliavably crappy ( the few of them there was), so if you're comparing this game to doom 3, you better just do the indoor stuff. Indoor's doom 3 had better lightning and shadows. However where half-life 2 really shines, and surpases far cry, and doom 3 by a mile is characters , check out the facial animation you can see sadness, eyes are moving and so on. Physics are great to... and there'll be even better looking levels released by valve the source engine can handle better graphic, you'll see they've already promised some even bettert looking leves, I can't wait for them.

On a side not... Vampire: Bloodlines, same engine YES, I have to get this game... too bad it's not on steam.
Quite frankly i don't think being outside on Mars would look very interesting anyways :p.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Ever wanted to swing legs around a tree with a saw ? Half Life 2 lets you do that ! :lol:

1 - 20 of 149 Posts