Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Guru3D
Drawn-out saga of Valve's opus approaches an end at last. Vivendi Universal Games is expected to formally announce a November 26th release date for Half-Life 2 in Europe shortly, along with a US release three days earlier, after informing UK retail partners of the date this week. Valve delivered a release candidate to VU on September 15th, and although an official 'Gold' announcement has still yet to emerge, retail sources in the UK indicate that they have now been given notice of the expected late November date. It was previously feared that the game might slip into 2005, as recent news of legal wranglings between VU and developer Valve made talk of further delays look increasingly likely, although the company could ill afford to miss out on the lucrative Christmas opportunity for such an important game. With marketing plans taking months of preparation and Christmas space at a premium, it was essential VU made retail aware of its plans - even though official confirmation may be still pending. When contacted for confirmation, Valve's Doug Lombardi was still unable to shed further light on the matter, uttering the now-familar words: "Unfortunately, I do not have a release date from VUG right now," no doubt under orders to wait until it's 'officially' announced. On a related matter, despite the appearance of print reviews of the game next week, online readers are being forced to wait until the day of release before they can read review coverage of the game. Last night, Lombardi confirmed: "The online reviews will be held until the day the game is made available," with review code being held back until then.
I hope it is true.
I think they would be crazy to miss the hollyday season.

·
Nobody Knows Him
526 Posts
Yeah, i hope it myself. I'm really looking forward to get it.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
I don't know why but I can't wait for it... maybe to compare it to doom 3 or what... ;)

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think doom3 was a huge disapointment. The problem with doom3 is that it was overhyped. And as most overhyped games, hey fail to meet the expectations.
Doom3 was a great game on it's own and by no way it should be compared to other games of it's genre (i mean FPS) like FarCry or Half Life 2, becouse it's very different.
You will see that HL2 will be a disapointment becouse everybody has high expectations of it.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
I enjoyed Doom3 because I didn't expect it to be good, to enjoy HL2 don't expect it to be any good before it's released

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Counter-Strike Source comes out this week though! YEA!!! :)

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Player-X said:
I enjoyed Doom3 because I didn't expect it to be good, to enjoy HL2 don't expect it to be any good before it's released
I totally agree with you Player-X. If you don't expect something to be good and it's good then it's a real treat but if it's not good then you feel like "yup, I expected as much". Overhype kills games though... just like it's gonna murder Halo 2.

·
Link to the Underworld
1,148 Posts
The main thing about doom 3 was the reviews that came out in the mid 90's that had people in them practically calling it the second coming of christ and whatnot. Of course, doom 3 is in reality maybe deserved a score in the high 70's or so. When people actually played it, they saw how much mags like PC Gamer were taking it you know where from game developers ;). Seeing as how PC Gamer UK gave HL2 a 96% in their recent "review" the process is slated to start over again.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Doom 3 is a very good game, but, i think they made a too limited engine, those who already played CS:S or seen the gameplay movies of hl2, you can sence that HL2 engine has HUGE modding potential, its gonna be HL1 all over again. In 5 or more years you'll still gonna bee playing games/mods of HL2. Im 100% positive on this

on a side note ^^ looks like im gonna have a good birthday present ^^

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Yes exactly, HL is still alive to its hi moddability... it's never been deleted from my HD in 5 years :)
Even if HL2 can be deceiving (I doubt it ;)) there's still the 'power of mods', I dunno many ppl still playing HL1 for its standard games, everyone plays CS, DoD or NS

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
the same goes for quake (world), quake II, quake III games, even I've heard that doom and doom 2 ;)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Apparantly Gamespot thinks this November 23-26 thing is BS. It's in their latest Rumor Control. But then again, they aren't right about everything.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
err, dudes, the HL1 engine is a mod of Quake I and Quake II's engines, so, technically, if it's highly moddable, that's thanks to Id Software and John Carmack ;)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
yeah i know that but it doesnt change the fact is way better. :p

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By Metalmurphy
Doom 3 is a very good game, but, i think they made a too limited engine, those who already played CS:S or seen the gameplay movies of hl2, you can sence that HL2 engine has HUGE modding potential, its gonna be HL1 all over again. In 5 or more years you'll still gonna bee playing games/mods of HL2. Im 100% positive on this
Quake 4 is built upon a modified Doom 3 engine and by the screenshots it doesnt look like limited. Check the PC Gamer review.

·
Nobody Knows Him
526 Posts
next year :p

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
I thought North America for the most part got things before Europe :p

1 - 20 of 40 Posts