Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this already :p. The one-level "tech demo" for HDR and the Source engine was released earlier today. I just got done playing it, and the best way I can sum it up is: short but sweet. The HDR seems to add a good amount of depth to the game and the commentary is a nice touch. It gives good insight on the development and implementation of HDR into the Source engine, as well as the development of the level.

Having said that, you need a pretty strong system to run the game. My Radeon 9500 Pro was easily able to hit 90 FPS or so in the Counter-Strike: Source test at 1024x768, high settings, overclocked core/memory, but it seemed to chug along at 15-30 FPS (estimate) for most of the level, using the same exact settings.

I noticed some weird issues with the "game" though, those being that I didn't recieve damage from enemy fire and that every 10-15 seconds, I would lose control of the mouse and keyboard for a second or two. I'm interested in seeing if this happens with anyone else.

If anyone wants me to post pictures or a short video demonstrating the HDR, just let me know :). The level took me about half an hour to download on Steam, with it going at 100-190 KB/sec.

·
Souless Angel
900 Posts
I didn't experience them problems per say. My game chugged alot. While it was short, it still was pretty sweet. The HDR can really make a difference, and will love to see it used in up and coming games.

The two problems I had was. I restarted from a death and when I respawned all the dead combine were stuck in mid standing postions. Really wierd, the second was when I entered the cage towards the end. My FPS hit rock-bottom then I got black blotches on two of the sky box sections.

Overall fun little romp.

·
AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
Steam said my gfx card isnt DX9 capable, WTF?!?!
A GF 6200 is DX9.0c capable card.....
And my processor is clocked @ 2.0, not 2.2 as they asked.
Gonna get it them report my experiences.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zer0Soul said:
The two problems I had was. I restarted from a death and when I respawned all the dead combine were stuck in mid standing postions. Really wierd, the second was when I entered the cage towards the end. My FPS hit rock-bottom then I got black blotches on two of the sky box sections.

Overall fun little romp.
I forgot about the Combine that were just sitting there. I thought it was odd that I could walk through them :p. I'm not sure if Valve purposely made it so nothing could hurt you but I had some fun unloading various weapons on the last enemy :D.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,934 Posts
Great, so now I'll try it on my machine, I was thinking I'd have to wait for my new one to try it out :), thank you n_w.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
Yeah it looks amazing to say the least. I loved the light effect when walking from a dark hallway to an open sunny area. With this I really think my AthlonXP 2100+ was lagging behind, however it ran perfectly playable 1024x768, 2xAA 4xAF @ Max Settings. The commentary was awesome too because it let you know what was happening and maybe give you insight into things you would may not of picked up on.

I think you have to turn off commentary for you to take damage, or turn sv_cheats 0 in console, and when I brought out the gravity gun the crosshair was a little screwed up.

·
2,934 Posts
I think the HDR I'm seeing with my 9800XT is only the bloom version and not the full version, also I'll get artifacts with too high AA/AF.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Given the time it took for Valve to complete this, the level and hdr wasn't all that great. As far the HDR bloom effect is concerned, it is old news. It was implemented by a group WAY back. You can find it here..

To be fair, the HDR made by Valve does look a bit better, but it isn't great.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
well, i played it and...well it was short. it was fun for some hack and slash action, but in truth it was little more than a tiny tech demo. to be honest, i didnt enjoy HDR much. if my 2500+ @ 2.1 ghz and 6800 w/16 pipe softmod are chugging like this at 1024x768 just for fancy lights...it's not worth it ;) (especially since HL2 ran smooth as buttah when i played it with the same hw).

anyway, i cant believe no one posted shots oO i guess im first :D

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was going to post pictures if anyone asked but no one did so I didn't take any :p. Maybe I'll do a short video of walking in and out of that archway on top of the hill and put it on some site, like YouSendIt.

Edit: Perhaps I'll do some 1600x1200 shots once I get my A64 up and running :D. Hushy, did you use any AA/AF?

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
Just finished it myself, my system is AMD 64 3000+, 6600 GT, 1gig ram, it ran fine for me at the absolute highest settings (well the resoluion was 1280*1024 but my monitor can't go higher so...) The HDR seemed little more than just a fancy light show that didn't really make it look much better at all, the only thing that interests me is that it is more HL2 fun, I don't care how similar it is, I would pay for a HL2 expansion and this will be free so I'm not complaining one bit. About time I got compensated for all that torture Steam has put me through over the last couple of years anyway.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
I loved Lost Coast.. the narration was amazing, I loved that. The HDR was decent, but doesn't change much IMO. A bit too bright at times, and more than anything just makes performance worse.

It slowed down at some parts on my rig (1024x768, all highest ingame settings, no aa/af), but overall it runs great.

ChankasRules: Actually, it's complete. Valve's implementation is a PS 2.0 effect. Contrary to what nVidia would like you to think, HDR isn't a new thing and doesn't require the longer instructions PS 3.0 provides.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Maybe they were exaggerating it a bit just to show what it could do. Remember what the last commentary said about giving Valve feedback. Maybe we should all email Gabe and tell him to tone it down a tiny bit :p. I'm going to try turning the narration off to see if damage kicks in again.

·
2,934 Posts
ChankasRules: Actually, it's complete. Valve's implementation is a PS 2.0 effect. Contrary to what nVidia would like you to think, HDR isn't a new thing and doesn't require the longer instructions PS 3.0 provides.
We'll see, I have a feeling we'll be seeing better HDR soon, it has been in Far Cry for quite awhile, without any PS 3.0 , but I think the method NVIDIA refers to is higher quality.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.