Next Generation Emulation banner

HA, may join the fourgasm club with phil =p

926 views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  skoreanime 
#1 ·
Yes, i stole your old sig phil :p but pretty good news. I have been doin a lot of thinking and have come to the conclusion i need a new cpu. I will still be getting a gpu in the near future, but i need to burn dvds and stuffs faster. And pcsx2 will be a bonus:D

So i will probably be getting an e8400, with my existing watercooler, gonna push it too 4 ghz, if my mobo can do it anyway:dead:

#3 ·
Finally someone that thinks like me HCR.

Although the E8400 should also still manage to stand in 2 years time.

#5 ·
Well the i& so far in my opinion just from the specs is junk from what i want it for. It will run what i want almost the same as an 8400. And the price comparison between the 8400 i was looking at against a quad was very vast. Look at it like this, my cpu is completely outdated now. Multiple generations of cpus have come out since it.

#6 ·
I always thought it was odd how you have water cooling yet only (in comparison) a E2160 CPU.

Oh, and as for burning stuff, it may improve somewhat, but I always thought the bottleneck in that stuff was the drive itself. For example, my current CPU seems to rip songs from discs barely any faster than my old Pentium 4 1.5GHz did (my old Pentium III 800MHz with a 32x CD-Rom drive, however, was probably only half as fast at best). Burning may be more intensive, but I think the bottlneck is still on the drive itself. Drives burn even slower than they rip, so if the bottleneck is in the drive while it's ripping (48x is about the standard for ripping for most modern drives), it will be when it's burning too at an even slower speed (the standard for that is, what, between 16x and 22x), I'm pretty sure a new CPU won't make that much, if any, faster, so just don't expect it.

#7 ·
I always thought it was odd how you have water cooling yet only (in comparison) a E2160 CPU.

Well when you get water cooling for free you really dont say no, no matter what you got:lol: and it keeps my temps from idleing at 35-40c with my aftermarket air cooler(big as hell) to 18-23c with cores idleing at 19C now, on a load never hit over 45c so far. And its overclocked too.

Anyway, but for burning movie files to Dvd it has to encode the disk which completely maxes out your cpu. on my pc takes about 35mins on a good day, with my cpu not overclocked to 2.6 it takes like an hour and a half.

#8 ·
Yeah burning speed will NOT improve....
Encoding will also not improve as much as you think, there are software/codec limits as well

#10 ·
not as much as you think, as i edited in (I never noticed you posted), there are software/codec limits as well.

#11 ·
Well, there may be limits but i havnt hit them once. And with different cpus you can see a big difference. My dads Pent.D at 3.2 encodes in like 2 hours, my bro's core 2 laptop burns in like an hour and a half, so from what am led to beileve is since the processor is getting maxed out completely currently, why not get a better one

-and the burning wasnt the only reason. Pcsx2, computer games, etc.

#15 ·
An E8400 can hit 4 ghz on air. Mine's at 4 ghz on only air. Runs just fine.

#16 ·
really, mines at 6.5Ghz on air only!!!

*sarcasm*

#17 ·
#18 ·
It's very unusual to not get temp increases from idle to full load...especially on air cooling. Intel TAT may give you errors, so try CoreTemp. Always play it safe with overclock or you'll regret it.

And it is possible you may have a faulty temp sensor. It wouldn't be the first one to happen :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.