Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My xp has been crappin out since its been a bad install for months. so i install Vista and low and behold my mad dog sound card didnt get supported and no vista driver available. I tried the xp driver and it worked oO its not perfect, the 5.1 is a little screwed up but it gives sound:thumb:

I was just a little surprised. Isnt that not supposed to work?

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It did, i can post some screenies. The Mad Dog Predator 5.1 6ch sound card, came out around the time of XP so the only drivers available are for windows 98, NT3/4 and 2000. The drivers havnt been updated since like late 05?

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Oooh thank you BigIg. I just looked in with Everest it is off the 8738. I will have to give that a try in a couple. I looked for a while but couldnt find anything fr vista :dead:

actually, vista might have that driver built in, so it'd explain why the xp driver seemed to work.
Oh, and samor, it wasnt built in i dont think. It didnt even recognize what the card was./

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
with soundcards and video cards it's very unlikely, but there are devices that have their drivers working on both xp and vista. Seems you have an exception there :)

there's also a difference in the required specifications for INF files, causing Vista to reject some drivers which are otherwise compatible.

I'd try a C media 8738 vista driver regardless. "Mad Dog Predator" is the brand name, the C media 8738 the actual hardware, and usually the manufacturers have better driver support.
(similarly, wireless devices from Belkin and Sitecom usually use Ralink chipsets)
..found you a link:
C-Media Company Information

*edit* BigIg already found it, I didn't see that.
(and yeah, we need the delete button, but alternatively we can just mess up the posts by removing all text and leaving in a "-" or "edited" comment just to show the admins how good of an idea it was to leave it out ;) )

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
XP sound drivers will work in Vista fine.
XP video drivers will work in Vista fine. (though you lack WDDM 1.0 + DX10)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.