Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:spit: dowload it from www.daemon-tools.cc

The changelog for V4:

complete redesign from scratch
support of 4 virtual drives
ONLY X32-supported now. X64 will follow
Drivername randomly generated on each machine (not finished yet)
Drive-vendor and versionnumber randomly generated
Complete new emulation architecture
DCP (DaemonCodeProtect) to make analyses harder and increase development time for malicious anti-DT tools
Digital signature verification of applications who are trusted to access DT in secure mode
AutoInsertNotification fully implemented (can be turned on/off at ControlPanel)
Dropped: MS-Installer, DT now use modificated NullsoftInstaller
Dropped: analog sound support (as Windows 2000 and above do not need this feature)
supports all popular copyprotections

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
can it emulate .cdi files now?

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Wait folks, it seems that Daemon Tools have Adware!

Another important change is the integration of ADWARE.
Yes, we need that revenues. However, we decided to let
YOU choose to run it with ADWARE and support us - or simple
turn it OFF in installation-process and run it same way
as former versions - without ADWARE. By default, it is turned
ON - to not install that ADWARE, please UNCHECK at installation
"DAEMON TOOLS SEARCHBAR" (or you can remove it anytime later when
you wish via "Control Panel"-> "Add/Remove programs")

We leave that decision to you, so please don't blame us that we did
it that way. It was a compromise to continue the free support -
we would much appreciate it if you install that ADWARE-stuff. We set-
up a special forum so please post in THAT forum only about questions,
concerns or anything else that is related to that ADWARE. The forum's
name is "DAEMON Tools Searchbar".

·
Narcissist
725 Posts
No tinfoil here

I have no problem with ad-supported software (as opposed to spyware). After all, like banners on websites, they help keep stuff free. They even let you remove the ads without needing a pay version. :thumb:

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
At least they admitted it, I installed this without noticing the check-box and would have installed it (OK, my fault) had it not been for Spybot Resident. At least it can be uninstalled though. I can imagine other people making the same mistake I did who don't have something like spybot protecting there computer would have been rather pissed at what they would have thought was a perfectly innocent program.

Could have been worse I suppose.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
I just dont get the IDE-jammer thing.
And they said i need to uninstall my IDE drivers?
Any help here?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Most common way to bypass starforce 3 protection is to have default IDE drivers and not the ones from ur motherboard. Thats probably why its asking u to uninstall. It seams to me that deamon tools 4 doesnt do anything that old tools already do. This is just a bundle :p

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
I'm sorry to see them start to use adware. Ah well, they don't charge me a dime, I'm not going to complain, and I don't necessarily need it either.

Does their job not pay them enough? There's plenty of other options:

1. Put a "donate" button on their web site.
2. If that's not enough, try going commercial; start with two versions... one that's free (still), and one that you pay for. They can even be identical. As long as nothing's GPL, it's all good.
3. Go full commercial if that fails to generate enough revenue.
4. If that fails, apparently people aren't using it (and I know that's not true)

I'll never look to adware to fund any of my projects. I have 4 open source projects under the BSD license, and 3 under the GPL license (due to a GPL library being used (No, it's not LGPL - that would have been much preferable) - otherwise I'd prefer the BSD license as I have no problem with others profitting from my code). Four of these projects are finished products and are published on my web site. I also have one commercial project. I can safely promise I will never use adware - I'd rather see it die. It's plain unsafe.

Anyways, I haven't installed DT in the last two years... and now I'm less likely to as a matter of principle and security (even if you can elect not to install adware). On the other hand, looking at the list of updates, looks like a decent strategy to an ongoing battle. Hopefully they will win in the extremely unreasonable world of copy protection.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
yea i try to emulate my dc files, but it never works. I try to install old version, but it crashes on my computer for some reason

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Ill wait for the version with the IDE-jammer thing.
Current its working flawless!

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Got it, works for me, loves it.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Aided Onslaught said:
Selling it in any way isn't a good idea cause the people who use this stuff already know how to get around that, ha.
And let them do so. The goal is not to make everyone buy it, but to generate some revenue from it (think of it as a slightly more forceful prompt to encourage a "donation").
Aided Onslaught said:
I do think the donate idea is good.
This would be my first choice as well, though I recognize that it may not always work well enough.

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
I would donate if I did more with something like paypal, but I simply don't. Many times I've wanted to donate to things the tim puts on the CAD comic site, but I just didn't have an accout or anything. I should look into this, cause I want to donate a little money to spybot and other things. If I did that a little bit of my money would go to this program as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.