Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of some help. I am playing GT2 and have been playing it for a while now w/o problems. Today I decided to finally play one of the endurance races which in general take over an hour to complete play. I successfully completed the race in first place, and when I goto save, the save is apparently done and successful. However when I goto reload the game at a later time, it is reverted to the previous save, the one before the completion of the long race. I did use save states throughout the race as I did not want to sit through over 1 hr of play all at once. I've even tried to use the F4 SIO IRQ hack and that did not help. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

Just incase it really matters here are my plugins:
NULL's spu v1.35(?)
Pete's 1.50 OGL
Internal CDROM plugin

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't have any really helpful info, other than that I've experienced the problem myself (so it's not just you.)

I was using savestates as placeholders while I was using [pec] to make hybrid cars. After tuning a really sweet little 434 HP Peugeot 106, I decided to actually complete a race, saved it, and took a break. Long story short, I came back later, loaded up my save, and lost all the changes I'd made from one save to the next. I was able to get back to my last savestate, of course, but it definately struck me as being odd.

FWIW :confused:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks UncleClive, you're right, they're called temp.000 and temp.001 and I loaded the first one and it had the right data! Now the thing is, why does this problem occur?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
There is a problem when using saved states and memory cards together (i mean if you save to memory card, then use a saved state, then save to a memory card etc...) If you look below, you will see that Lewpy has provided an explanation as to how this may be happening. (Taken from ePSXe FAQ.)

Q: When I save my game using the memory cards after loading a save state, it saves fine, but
the save data is missing/older when I play it the next time, what gives?
A: ***WARNING: This answer has yet to be confirmed by the authors, although our tests verify it***
(Answer provided by Lewpy, developer of Lewpy's Glide GPU plugin)

Here's a step-by-step of what I believe happens:
1) You start the game in ePSXe and the memcards you have selected in the GUI are used.
2) You make a SaveState - this includes PSX RAM, GPU VRAM, SPU RAM, and memcards (<- important!)
3) You quit ePSXe, go do something really important in RealLife™, and then come back
4) You start the game in ePSXe and the memcards you have selected in the GUI are used.
5) You load the SaveState - here is the problem: what should happen to the memcards?
They need to be restored from the SaveState, but should they overwrite the ones that
you have selected in the GUI? That _could_ trash some important saves! So the safe
route is taken: some memcards called temp.000 & temp.001 are created from the SaveState,
and ePSXe then uses those for the rest of the game, until closed.

What does this mean?
1) Your original memcards are not overwritten by the SaveState
2) Your saves _are_ being recorded after the SaveState load
3) You have to manually recover the memcards once you quit ePSXe, BEFORE you load another
SaveState (as this will overwrite the previous temp.000 & temp.001 files)

To recover the memcards, go to the memcards directory and rename temp.000 & temp.001 to
whatever you like. Then, in the ePSXe GUI, point it at these memcards. There may be a more
sensible way around this quandary, but at least at the moment ePSXe plays it the "safe" way:
imagine the "knee-jerk" reaction that would happen if ePSXe started overwritting memcards
with the ones from SaveStates ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, makes sense. Now I've already renamed the memcard so I suppose I'll just continue using that, but when I play another 1+hr race, gonna have to use those save states again. Little bit of a hassle, but worth it. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts