Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to use Gsdx D3D10 software renderer as it is much more accurate than the hardware renderer, but it's running a bit slow. Since Core i7 has hyper threading, should I set sw render thread to 3 or 6?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,570 Posts
Hyperthreading doesn't really make a difference. Setting the threads to 2 or higher is about as much performance as you can eek out of your CPU. Setting it higher than 6 could spell trouble though in the for of slowdown.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
*cough* wrong. Hyperthreading does benefit the SW render, the SW Render is optimised for more then 2 threads and will benefit from them.

·
Sir
51 Posts
I set to 6 in my Core i7 920 @ 4.0 GHz. It's pretty good and allows me to play Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi 3 for instance full speed. Great for getting rid of annoying graphicals bugs :)

It will still be awhile before more cpu intensive games like God of War are playable this way though...

I believe 6 is a good number for the Core i7. I wouldnt try more threads if I were you. ;)

·
Sir
51 Posts
Theoretically, the Core i7 should benefit from using 8 software renderer threads but I'll need more testing to see if the emulator will remain stable from all that stress. :eyemove:

Unfortunately, we got not actual benchmarking toll for PCSX2 :p

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
PCSX2 is as good as a benchmark as any :p

just make it as cpu bound as possible.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I get full speed 60fps constant with DD10 software renderer for every game I've tried. Just make sure to set the resolution to 640x480, then run it in full screen. Setting the resolution any higher will just cause slowdown without looking any better. Also, I found out setting SW threads to 3 is the best. Oh and I am on a core i7 overclocked to 3.6ghz

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
splitting the thread allows each HT to work at 100%

·
Sir
51 Posts
I concentrated on Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 and did some testing... 3 sw rend threads works... FPS 52 to 60. 6 rend threads makes it full speed all the time FPS 60! :D

8 rend threads degrades performance and crashes the emu randomly. :)

This game has bugs in the floor of the world tournament stage btw (shadows on the floor). Both in software and hardware mode. :thumb:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I don't have god of war but I've tried tales of the abyss, fatal frame, yakuza, and okami all run at 60fps constant with 4 sw render threads.

I read somewhere that Tales of Legendia plays perfect with the software renderer, anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Theoretically, the Core i7 should benefit from using 8 software renderer threads but I'll need more testing to see if the emulator will remain stable from all that stress. :eyemove:

Unfortunately, we got not actual benchmarking toll for PCSX2 :p
No it doesn't because when you do that, the main pcsx2 thread gets clogged up and running 8 gsdx threads along with the pcsx2 thread is 9 threads, pcsx2 is then not getting the amount of cpu time it needs, and the whole program starts to freeze up. I tested myself. 6 is good enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.