Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
:yawn:
by making it faster.

Seriously, it would help if you said which game, and what your computer specs are.

Sorry, but if I post something like "sound doesnt work", how could someone possible help me?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the game is XenoGears. I have an Ati All in wonder-1997 card. the graphics are only slow in the emulator, everything else is fast. The card is also a TV tuner, and that is fast too. the problem is only in the emulator. How do I fix this?

G

·
sounds like an outdated card...I think your system's simply not fast enough for epsxe....
what's your processor speed?

oops..I had to leave this window open for just a while and prafull already beat me to it :)

· Premium Member
2,776 Posts
Your video card is really old. I remember it, and it WAS good, but now it's completely outdated. Try a Software plugin, like Pete's or Kazzuya's.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My computer's pretty fast though. It has a 233 MHz Pentium II processor. Even though that is a low speed, it runs fast and smoothly. I am using Pete's SoftGPu and Pete's package. My video card isn't slow at all. It displays graphics and movies without a problem. It is just the PSX Emulator that runs slow. Perhaps I have a wrong plugin. If else what plugin should I use for my system?

· Registered
12,014 Posts
> It has a 233 MHz Pentium II processor.

Er...that's not fast at all for PSX emulation. I suggest trying the fastest of EVERYTHING and then increase the quality of a plugin only if you have a good frame rate, and make SURE to play only from ISOs. Frame skipping is a must.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My computer's pretty fast though. It has a 233 MHz Pentium II processor, 96 MB Ram, 512 KB L2 Cache Memory,. Even though that is a low speed, it runs fast and smoothly. I am using Pete's SoftGPu and Pete's package. My video card isn't slow at all. It displays graphics and movies without a problem. It is just the PSX Emulator that runs slow. Perhaps I have a wrong plugin. If else what plugin should I use for my system? Also, could not having the correct version of Direct X software effect it? I have Direct X 3.0 and the emulator runs smoothly without a problem.

· <B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
6,550 Posts
More often than not, emulators tend to depend more on how 'fast' the CPU is than how good the video card is.. With a p2-233 you'll get slowdowns at some points in most games you're gonna play.. and you're card is quite old as well ..

--

· Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Originally posted by DigiSm89
My computer's pretty fast though. It has a 233 MHz Pentium II processor. Even though that is a low speed, it runs fast and smoothly. I am using Pete's SoftGPu and Pete's package. My video card isn't slow at all. It displays graphics and movies without a problem. It is just the PSX Emulator that runs slow. Perhaps I have a wrong plugin. If else what plugin should I use for my system?
Pretty fast? I call that slow.. Epsxe requires a much more hefty computer to run at full speed.. Hell.. On my old amd k6-2 533 with a voodoo 3 it ran slow.. I can imagine how slow it is on your comp..

· Premium Member
6,391 Posts
My computer's pretty fast though. It has a 233 MHz Pentium II processor, 96 MB Ram, 512 KB L2 Cache Memory,. Even though that is a low speed, it runs fast and smoothly. I am using Pete's SoftGPu and Pete's package. My video card isn't slow at all. It displays graphics and movies without a problem. It is just the PSX Emulator that runs slow. Perhaps I have a wrong plugin. If else what plugin should I use for my system? Also, could not having the correct version of Direct X software effect it? I have Direct X 3.0 and the emulator runs smoothly without a problem.
I hate to tell you but your system is severely outdated. I doubt you could run any of today's roster of games on it. A "fast" CPU nowadays would be somewhere in the 1.x Ghz region. Even my 700 Mhz P3 Coppermine (which is more than 3 times as fast as yours) is considered mediocre. Since you're using Pete's software plug-in your CPU is the bottleneck and to see any improvements you need to upgrade it. You're running epsxe at the bare minimum settings. Recommended settings for epsxe is a 400 Mhz Pentium 2 CPU, 128 MB of RAM, and a 16 MB TNT videocard or better (for 3D acceleration, otherwise it doesn't matter). Your videocard is fine, but only for 2D applications and games. Since you're not using any 3D accelerated stuff it wouldn't really matter, but you should look into an upgrade anyways. And you should upgrade your DirectX to the latest version, 3.0 is way too old.

BTW, try using Connectix Virtual Game Station (since you're not using any 3D acceleration). It works well with low-end systems.

· Premium Member
873 Posts
If you think that you are simply using the wrong plugin (still ignoring
all the well said hints about your outdated system), why don't you
just try a different one?
though I doubt that any gpu (beside the soft ones) will work with DX3 :)

G

·
guys, my computer does run rast enough to run graphics. My system was meant to play video and it has a built in tuner card. I just feel that I am not using the right plugin.
yes, I know, it probably plays video well...
but games, and especially emulators, are different. My p2 350 with dual voodoo2 video card (that sounds powerful, doesnt it? well ...it was...) already struggled with many games in epsxe.

Sorry to say this, but computers are outdated real fast nowadays. Basically it's three years for a new one and then you have to upgrade if you want to keep up with new software (especially games). My brother has a pentium 200, when we got it in 1997 it was ultra-fast....well, know we consider it as pretty slow. Of course, it still has the same speed but modern games require at least 500 mhz or so.

The fact it plays certain older games and tv and/or videoclips real fast doesnt say anything. That p 200 does that too. but on new games? no way...sorry, but that's how it is. And especially emulation...the emulation of the PSX itself already requires a load of power, much more than a pc game with similar graphics.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Boy. do you guys reply fast!
I know my system's severely outdated but it is proved to be very good in games. Do you know where I can find Connectix Virtual Game Station because I coudn't find it on their site?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmm. I wonder how the real Playstation can run their games using a 90 MHz processor.

G

·
you have to buy it, allthough there arent many stores who still carry it ...however, you can try the demo version, it's downloadable here at ngemu.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.