Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I load up ePSXe it freezes and shuts down due to my graphics card not responding. I have a nVidea geForce 8500 GT and my ePSXe plugins are Pete's OpenGL Driver 2.9, Eternal SPU Plugin 1.50, P.E.Op.S CDR Driver 1.4. Anyone got any ideas?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,507 Posts
Try updating your graphics card drivers.

Have you installed your motherboard's chipset driver?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Windows comes up with an error message saying the graphics driver has stop responding. Have no fear tho.. re-installed older version driver and ePSXe works fine now.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
what O/S are you using? did it tell you the display driver nvlddmkm has "stopped responding but has successfully recovered"? you are going to have alot of fun with that one if its what it told you, its one of the most annoying problems ive seen in years and it usually is not limited to occuring with just one application.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup thats the one. Reverted back to older version driver tho and its all working dandy now. Do you know how to get round that problem tho?

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
its really tricky, from what i know it is a common problem with windows vista and certain 8 series cards although there are dozens of other things i have read about it that can trigger the message as well. i ran into it when i was using an 8800 ultra and while i was able to get it to stop for a small period of time, it kept coming back and i never found out what was actually causing it. just about every game i had (both pc games and emulation-related) crashed after 10 minutes or so and it was really driving me nuts.

i have since then switched over to a gtx280 and have yet to run into the problem again but i cant really say if using something else would work for you too. if you google that exact error message you will find a great deal of info on it but i can tell you now that its going to be a real pain in the ass to identify the source.

some of the things you should look into are-

-making sure your display drivers are installed correctly (and any previous drivers have been uninstalled correctly)

-set any overclocked hardware back to factory defaults

-underclock your RAM

-make sure all your hardware is seated correctly

-plug your system into a different power outlet and make sure your PSU works correctly.

i could list more but i think you would be better off googling for this issue as its really well-known.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
That problem is usually caused by the usage of a vanilla Vista install.

After that, its an incorrect hardware configuration, most usually the ram's SPD settings are not setting AUTO values correctly and require manual configuration.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
i dont think it was vista for me, there was a hotfix for the TDR error issue included in the SP1 and i was still getting that message, ive seen many others report the same thing too.

if i had to guess now i would say it was either something to do with my motherboard and how it was managing the system voltages and timings (i have turned off the auto function and now i do it myself) or it was something with the 8800.

i favor the latter because i have been using the gtx280 for several months now and thankfully i have yet to encounter the problem again, whereas with the 8800 it was go away for a few days, or maybe a week at best, and then show up again.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/wddm_timeout.mspx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts