Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :)

So finally got my PC built and trying some emu's, specifically nullDC. The speed is good but, just that little bit slower than the original frame rates etc.

My CPU is a 3.0ghz Core 2 Duo but my card is quite a bit older, an Nvidia 6600GT (256mb).

So I'm wondering if I bought a new graphics card, would I notice a fair increase in frame rate or do I have enough power and the problems are with the emu itself?

Cheers (pics coming soon btw...)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, cool :)

I thought so, but needed to make sure. As I'm finding while setting up all my emu's this week, the few years I missed have meant I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Plus, I've been on a Mac for a while now so the whole Windows PC thing is taking a while to get used to also.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In Australia, prices aren't great and I can't seem to find an older, decent cards in my local stores.

One that caught my eye though was...
Umart Online

I haven't kept up to date with card models and differences but this would be a bit better than an 8800gts right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey again mate,
been busy with work and life but have the weekend off to get back into my emu gaming :D
Was ready to make a decision on a new card but came across an ATI Radeon with a better price and much better review than similar Nvidia cards.
Should I stay away from ATI for emulation or are they just as well supported and compatible these days?
Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
You'll run into slightly less issues with the Nvidia card, but not enough or often enough to be a deal breaker.

Really for emulation your not setting to bad with a 6600GT unless you plan on running PS2, DC, GC emu's then you can certainly use more horsepower namely with PS2.

If you plan to upgrade again with in a year and a half really any current modern release from ether chipset maker is fine.

Now a possible dark horse here is if emulator authors start looking to make use of OpenCL...which is something that would take time to convert over to. However Nvidia's GPGPU efforts are currently way ahead of ATI, and thats likely to carry over to OpenCL support.

However I don't think any Emu developer has made any sort of comment towards OpenCL...so basically I'm bringing up a non-issue...but felt I should point this aspect out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it turned out my power supply couldn't quite handle those Nvidia's mentioned above so I picked up real cheap, an ATI Radeon 4770.

Really impressed. It has double the frame rate/speed of Dolpin and made the NullDC a bit smoother too.

(Frame rate in Crysis Demo has more than doubled also)

I have noticed some graphical bugs in NullDC though, which weren't there with my old Geforce. Like in Jet Set Radio, now the buses are almost wireframe after previously being perfect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.