Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, well, if you read my sig, you can see that I have a crappy 128bit/128mo 9800 pro... First I was wondering something, what's the FPS loss compared to the true 256bits version. Anyone knows?

Then, I recently sold an MMORPG avatar and earned 140€ with it, so
I planned on an upgrade. What card could I buy for about 160€ (about 200$)
with a 9800pro -> [newer card] performance gap worth the price. I've heard
about the 6600GT 128mo, but it has only 8 pipelines and a 128bit bus, just like my current one, though I've also heard that it beats easily the 9800pro 256bit.

Any advice?

BTW: My power supply is 300w (360 PFC)

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Well the 6600GT should perform consistently better, but what's the point? Do you really need the extra performance or would you be better saving your cash for either the next gen of cards, or some other new component?

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
Kane said:
Well the 6600GT should perform consistently better, but what's the point? Do you really need the extra performance or would you be better saving your cash for either the next gen of cards, or some other new component?
i agree, altho even the 256bit version of the pro is about double the speed of the 128bit one, the 6600GT would outperform it, but to be honest with your current specs it would go slightly to waste.

I have a Barton 3000+ and a 9800Pro 256bit version (infact yours is suppose to be 256bit, the non pro is 128bit) and the performance does lag sometimes, but in this pc which is an Athlon 64 3400+ with a 9800XT (the one up) its almost double the speed of the other pc.

i suggest saving up n getting a new PSU a motherboard and chip first, then think of graphics card later

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, knowing that I'm not going to have large amount of cash in a near future... and
that the rest of my PC is the best I can get with this mobo. The only thing I can do is to get a better card, I really don't like those 20 fps slowness peaks I get in multiplayer when
I'm facing more than 2 guys :p

If I can get 50 fps in the same condition it's ok, but if I only get a ridiculous 5fps boost it's no use. That's why I ask, I know 6600GT>9800pro 256bit>9800pro 128,
but I don't know how much :p.

EDIT:

>> i agree, altho even the 256bit version of the pro is about double the speed of the 128bit one

That much???

>> (infact yours is suppose to be 256bit, the non pro is 128bit)

No it's a cutdown version of the 9800 pro, the kind of card you buy cause you didn't notice the small caracters meaning "you got a$$raped" :(

·
Mr. Stupendous
1,138 Posts
the 256bit card is nowhere near double the speed of the 128bit pro. it's about 45% at best given the right conditions (ie shed loads of FSAA and filtering) a 660gt is faster but i agree, wait and upgrade your other components first.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, maybe I'll wait for the prices to drop a little anyways, but I can't afford a major upgrade, I recently bought a barton3000, I don't feel like buying another mobo+CPU+PCIE card combo, neither does my wallet :(

Also I don't use FSAA, only AF8x/16x in 1024x768 in FPS games.
Dammit, I wish I could try before buying :(

3Dmark2k5 gives me a 1500 max score with my current card, maybe I could decide
if I knew what a 6600gt gives on a similar system :s

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah of course, but... What I wann know the FPS boost is significant enough between 9800 pro ---128 bit bus--- and the 6600GT before buying.
3000 marks looks good, but what on what system you got that?

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
As biased as Tom's Hardware is, they have a 256-bit 9800Pro vs the 6600GT here.
This is one from [H]ard|OCP

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm thanks, I get around 1400 with 128bits, they get 2400 with 256bit on a system not too better than mine and 3000 with 6600GT... I guess I could have a boost from 50 to 80% with it ... And its SM3.0, a good point for future games.

I may by it some time soon :I

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
3000+ barton and 6600GT would go WASTE!? Not a chance. Isnt 6600GT perfect card for computers of that speed? Neither of them is a bottleneck, and if something is supposed to run on either of them, it does run (making sense?) I can put with my still-average 2600+ barton and 6800GT (CPU is bottleneck, but still not horrible in nowadays standards) to 4x FSAA and 4xAF in doom3 and no lag. (high details of course. Ultra is a waste of bit-bandwidth and memory with no graphical improvement. I use displacement mapping mod instead) 3000+ barton with 6600GT should do same except 128bit bandwidth might prove problem in high-texture situations with FSAA and AF on.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyways my bro is building his comp, all he needs is a mobo, so even if I buy it, my 9800 will either be used by my bro, or sold at a decent price. I'll wait a little before deciding, if the prices drop decently I'll get it. I just hope the boost will be noticeable enough (I never use AA, only high AF settings)

Update:
And what about the non-GT version of the 6800? If I wait till it reaches the 160€ bar, worth it or not?

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Well, 6800 is faster than 6600GT, but slower than 6800GT, so go and figure. :)

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah ok heh... anyways I just noticed that it needs at least a 350w PSU, I dunno if the one I'm using has good quality it's enough for my CPU, my 9800 and 4 drives, but I'd be pissed off if I had to spend extra bucks on a new one :p

What's your PSU?
(sometimes I hate computers :()

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Colors 400W. They are very cheap, and mine has been working fine.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheap and good quaility? wow, lucky you ^^
I'll remember that when time will come thanks...
but maybe it works fine for you cause you only have 1 or 2 drives... I have 4 of them :p

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Who said it was good quality? ;) I just said that its working, and its quite silent aswell. Who knows if it might fry something in future, cuz its still quite new? :evil:

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh k ..... better avoid it then :p

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Mr. Killjoy said:
Oh k ..... better avoid it then :p

Lets see what time tells us. It might prove to be good quality afterall. :) I havent paid much attention to PSU's anyway. They arent as "sexy" as GPU's and CPU's. :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts