Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
TEKKEN LORD
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok here is the thing ;

my former graphics card died on me during warranty (4870) so i payed a little extra and got a gtx 275 from gigabyte (oc 896 MB version ) as a replacement

during the down time I have used a 7200 gs so i can use the pc ,
so yesterday i uninstalled the drivers (nvidia and ATi using driver sweeper ) so i can do a fresh installation for the new 275 , downloaded the latest Nvidia driver 195.06 WHQl , and when i restarted after installing the new driver the computer boots ok , but when logging in to windows (7 64 bit) i get a black screen and my monitor tells me no signal , I can hear the sounds inside windows , juts no picture is available . i used an older driver (the one in the Driver CD for the card ) and it works Ok Except for the casual blinking when uninstalling a software ) or entering the NV control panel but when i tried another driver (later but not the newest ,I got the same issue (black screen )

any advice ?? I dont want to reformat my windows now and I really cant return the card .

·
TEKKEN LORD
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
D-sub has no issues :O

when conecting both (DVI and D-sub ) and entering theNV control panel i can see the DVI monitor dissapearing and reapearing randomly (mostly gone ) while D-sub has no issues with the new diver ?? could it be hardware fault??

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
The most likely issue is it's using a resolution / refresh rate that your monitor cannot support.

If you using XP, go to safe mode, then go to your display properties and then choose something like 256 color , or even 16 bit color and just 1024x768. Then restart.

If you're using Vista / Win7, press F8 on startup and choose VGA Mode and then after Windows loads, set a lower resolution using display properties.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Strange, because DVI shouldn't have any refresh or resolution problems because the monitor stores it's own EDID data for the videocard to read.
Things you could try are

Switch off the power completely including the monitor, unplug the DVI cable on the videocard, plug it back in, switch on the PC only, not the monitor, and boot to windows, try to log in blind (if you can), then switch the screen on.

Try a DVI-D cable, not sure what you have, it could be DVI-I.

Boot into analogue d-sub mode and see if you can find a proper inf file for your monitor, try the manufacturer's website.

The very last option you could try, but only as a last resort, would be to try using Nibitor to flash your videocard with a modified BIOS. Just use it to save your own card's BIOS, then reload it back into Nibitor and goto Boot Settings, More Options, and tick "Skip DDC scanning", it doesn't always work but I've had some success in the past. Resave the BIOS as a different name, and flash the card with nvflash.

·
TEKKEN LORD
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Maybe you can try using another DVI cable?
cable works ok on other cards so...
The most likely issue is it's using a resolution / refresh rate that your monitor cannot support.
No way , since its the native resolution and it woked with 3 cards before
Switch off the power completely including the monitor, unplug the DVI cable on the videocard, plug it back in, switch on the PC only, not the monitor, and boot to windows, try to log in blind (if you can), then switch the screen on
already tried that and I was able to log in just dine and see the desktop and play a game ok , but when I open NV control panel I hear the bum-bum , like some device is disconnected and connected again , and the screen goes black
Try a DVI-D cable, not sure what you have, it could be DVI-I
I have DVI -D single link connector end on the cable .
The very last option you could try, but only as a last resort, would be to try using Nibitor to flash your videocard
mmm not a very big Fan Of Flashing TBH , and since its working ok on the D-sub , i just droped it and chilled , since its really really hard to get a replacment since I'm now 1100 KM away from the shop with 2 interntional borders in between :eyemove:

·
Registered
68 Posts
mmm not a very big Fan Of Flashing TBH , and since its working ok on the D-sub , i just droped it and chilled , since its really really hard to get a replacment since I'm now 1100 KM away from the shop with 2 interntional borders in between
Yeah, fair enough. I've found that, as long as you have a PCI backup card you should never have a problem with flashing a videocard. I've actually flashed cards with the wrong BIOS, one was back a few years ago when trying to turn a ATI 9200 AGP card into a ArcadeVGA card, I actually flashed it with the old 7500 BIOS using "Forced" to flash. Easily recovered with a S3 PCI card and a forced flash with the correct BIOS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.