Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i just got this game. unlike some other recent high profile xbox360 ports(dead space, farcry 2, fallout 3), this game is very unoptimized and definitely not user friendly. the game takes no less than an hour to install. it will install not one but two online services, windows live and rockstar social clubs. after the install, your required to create your online accounts for both services. once the game starts, depending on your hardware, the game will automatically determine your graphics settings and you cant change most of the options afterwards. like the recent rockstar pc version of bully, anything less than a x1900/gt7900 can expect to run the game in 800x600 with low settings. so far i have to give this game a 5 out of 10.

my personal comment. ive seen plenty of youtube videos wherein kids( less than 13) are reviewing this game and giving it high regards. from what ive seen of just the beginning, any child under 17 and playing this game needs very serious parental supervision. i dont know how any parent can let their children be expose to explicit sexual references, lewd behavior, and deprave humor in just 5 minutes into the game.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
i would wait for some updates/patches and mods on the pbay...cough before i get into this ****

also it would rape my current hardware if i play with it :p.......so time for an update too

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no thats a documented nvidia issue. it appears the 180series drivers have issues with certain textures, most noticeably the sky and ocean and gui.

switching over to my ati system resulted in better quality. but the game still run very slow, ie less than 20fps. i still dont understand how this medicore looking game has such terrible performance . fallout 3 and farcry 2 had much longer draw distances and more physics onscreen yet they both outperform this 2 to 1. very buggy and poor port i have to say.

·
8+ Years
2,796 Posts
I heard it wasn't a great port.

·
Registered MSX user
1,625 Posts
Vice City runned like a dream with an older PC and even with Celeron 1300MHz it was possible to get the longest drawing distance. Only very huge explosions could lower the frame rate. Good old days...

GTA IV for PC... what a mess. Let's see if they can do anything about it.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
start the game with the norestriction or norestrictions command line.

·
Irregular User
3,188 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
start the game with the norestriction or norestrictions command line.
F!CK the norestriction line! The -availablevidmem line is much better, and essentially does exactly the same.

Create a txt document called commandline.txt. Inside the document, write this simple line:

-availablevidmem 2.0

You can also set it to 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0. Possibly more. REMEMBER, this does not mean that you have that much video memory!

What this genius little code does, is to make it look like you have more video memory. I would be a bit careful with it. When i used the norestriction line, and when i set the game on a certain setting, i would get that well known lamppost syndrome. When i used the -availablevidmem line, with the EXACT same settings, that problem was not there. AT ALL.

Funny story: This guy at gtaforums claimed that he had discovered (Not by himself, he said he found it) some new lines to use. Those lines would be VERY neat if they were real, but they were not. Rockstar THEMSELF (Someone who work for Rockstar)said on the forum that those codes didn´t exist. Uber pwnage.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Okay I got this game full of excitement and enthusiasm, thinking I'd get a kick out of it similar to what I got from San Andreas, the truth turned out to be very different...

1) 15GB of disk space, wtf!

2) Once I installed the game, I had to make online accounts for Rockstar social club and Games for Windows Live just to be able to run this and save my games/achievements.

3) Started the game, and the graphics: Just wow! Draw distance on 41, all settings on high yields 19fps on my machine :dead: Now you might be thinking "hey that's not half-bad for a crappy E2160 and a 9600GT, but the thing is that even on high, everything looks HORRIBLE, I mean just see the shadows quality in the screenshots, and the horrific object detail with tonnes of jaggies. The game is VERY CPU limited, I dropped all the settings to medium and turned off Vsync, but still it wouldn't budge over 22 (so I'm playing it on high since it doesn't seem to make much difference). In short, GTA 4 makes Crysis look like a highly optimized piece of work.

4) 5 minutes into the game, I noticed the camera started spinning violently around the protagonist, making gameplay impossible (and quite dizzy too). Also, any car which I entered started accelerating on its own, meaning that driving anything is also impossible. To get around this problem, I had to use the 1.0.4 patch, but the issue has still cropped up once after applying the patch.

5) So FINALLY, after hours of messing around I could play this game. I opened IGN cheats enthusiastically waiting for a 2-page list to appear before me.....what actually appeared was more like 10 cheats :mad: and some of them are really absurd, I mean, there's a cheat for regenerating health and armor, and a separate cheat for regenerating just the armor oO But there's no cheat for trivial stuff like spawning various types of vehicles (there are a few, but the number pales in comparison to SA), never having a wanted level or infinite ammo.

6) The game world is small and repetitive. In SA, there were 3 cities, each with a variety of landscape around them (ranging from coniferous forests, to scrub to deserts, incorporating fields, canyons, mountains and rivers). Here, there's just Liberty City, that's right, no country-side to cruise your motor-cycle on, no mountains to conquer with a monster truck, no off-road races, NOTHING!

There's a few more things I'd like to rant about, but I think I better quit and just post the damn screenies xD

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
makes you want to kill a bunny, right?

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,886 Posts
4) 5 minutes into the game, I noticed the camera started spinning violently around the protagonist, making gameplay impossible (and quite dizzy too). Also, any car which I entered started accelerating on its own, meaning that driving anything is also impossible. To get around this problem, I had to use the 1.0.4 patch, but the issue has still cropped up once after applying the patch.
This is what happens when you torrent the game and don't crack it right,
google the issue

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I must say I find it interesting how much that post from you 3 hours ago Gamefreak contradicts the one slightly over 2 days ago in the Fallout 3 thread.

For those too lazy to look:
http://forums.ngemu.com/1733004-post104.html

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
3) Started the game, and the graphics: Just wow! Draw distance on 41, all settings on high yields 19fps on my machine :dead: Now you might be thinking "hey that's not half-bad for a crappy E2160 and a 9600GT, but the thing is that even on high, everything looks HORRIBLE, I mean just see the shadows quality in the screenshots, and the horrific object detail with tonnes of jaggies. The game is VERY CPU limited, I dropped all the settings to medium and turned off Vsync, but still it wouldn't budge over 22 (so I'm playing it on high since it doesn't seem to make much difference). In short, GTA 4 makes Crysis look like a highly optimized piece of work.
Put the shadows on the minimum setting. They're horrible, they cripple your performance, and they look better at low quality. (Seriously. Less shadows being shown, but better quality on them.)
Put draw distance somewhere in the range of 30-35 if you have performance issues. I found it to be overrated.
For the love of everything that is good, don't use a low texture quality, it simply looks too ugly.
I believe there was a "blur" that could be enabled to somewhat smooth the jaggies out. Simply press P in game, tho I personally disliked using it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts