Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes, I know it's 2009. I still want to play GT1.

I've been searching around reading umpteen posts on this, and haven't found much in the way of solutions; F5 doesn't fix it. GamePad Configurator is no longer hosted here for some reason, or here, and I wasn't able to dig it up with Google, so it might just do the trick if someone can link me to a copy...

I've got a generic USB Dual Shock clone that works fine (now, after I swapped out the sticks and rumble motors for Sony ones) in the Game Controller Properties dialog; when in digital mode, the D-pad and the left stick work the X & Y axes in digital fashion (see screencap; all the numbered buttons light up when pressed, but the D-pad moves the left crosshair to the edge of the box) and the right stick works buttons 1, 2, 3, & 4.

When in analog mode, the sticks work axes X, Y, Z & Rz as intended, and the D-pad functions as a hat switch. I'm assuming/hoping this is normal.

Unfortunately, the only other game I'm able to test it with now is Sexy Parodius (laugh if you must) which is digital only. However, from my tiresome trawling I gather that this issue is specific to Gran Turismo; when I configure the gamepad in ePSXe... wait a minute. I've sorted it as I composed this post; the axes weren't mapped.

/slaps forehead

But anyway, now I'm coming up against another issue I saw somebody raise already, and that's the horrible great big dead spot. This is why I swapped out the original sticks for Sony ones; the Game Controller Properties dialog revealed tragically huge dead spots both in the middle and at the end of the travel of the sticks, and I confirmed it with a multimeter as the fault of the pots. Remembering the ultra-fine control I used to enjoy with a genuine Dual Shock, I dug out a busted one and cannibalised the goodies and totally solved the dead spot problem, at least as far as DirectInput is concerned.

Is this a problem with ePSXe across the board, or just with its emulation for Gran Turismo? It's certainly not a problem with Polyphony's original code.

Does that GamePad Configurator thingo allow dead spot tweakage?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
It's nearly playable...

Incidentally, after stuffing around with the graphics settings I found this setup to be pretty damn sweet : )

Works like crap in the menus; doesn't like 2D at all. Massive frame drops and the sound's all broken up, but an easy workaround is just to hit F7 if you're spending any time in 2D.

For some reason it sits on 50Hz, but it's smooth enough.

·
twentyninetyseven
602 Posts
centre deadpsots can only be tweaked at the driver level under winXP+, so you need to use the software supplied with your pad [if any] -logitech profiler has it, but i haven't tested it. otherwise the game itself needs to have a deadspot setting, & many do not.

if you have win98 etc, you can use DXtweak from logitech on any directinput pad [can also be used on XP but deadzone adjustment has no effect, this is a known limitation of directX 9]

however, if you are trying to decrease the deadzone that is not apparent in windows control panel,then it would suggest that GT1 has a built in deadzone that may not be adjustable, unless you are using a negcon controller in epsxe, which has issues like yours, but i found using a dual analogue controller works perfectly in wipeout 2097 [ingame necgon calibration verifies-no deadzone, so i set to 6 degrees].

[............sony sticks centering is good [unless worn] but even new ones have about 1mm play either side [not deadzone as the cursor moves in that 2mm, which can cause pulling to one side when re-centering if no software deadzone is used] i've found thrustmaster dual trigger 3in1 to be the most accurate.]

·
twentyninetyseven
602 Posts
by the way, instead of de-soldering/swapping sticks, you could have just bought a playstation2/usb adapter off ebay for less than $10, i got one with a memcard reader for $15.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember GT1 had no deadzone at all. The driver panel shows no deadzone with my hybrid controller... (I would've grabbed an adaptor, but my Dual Shock was busted.)

As far as I can tell, logically the dead zone must be down to ePSXe. Might grab a copy of Wipeout 2097 to see if it goes away...

·
twentyninetyseven
602 Posts
i have also noticed no deadzones in:

need 4 speed III
colin mcrae rally 1 -N*
driver 1
test drive 5
acecombat3
starfighter 3000
burning road -N*
wip3out [3]

*-N: these games can use negcon pads, that let you calibrate, dual analogue only games usually have no calibration.

·
twentyninetyseven
602 Posts
i recommend getting the pc version off ebay, you'll need a user made patch for XP though, but it it has clearer graphics [mountains look like paintings instead of blurry blocks of a fuzzy dream of a mountain] -better yet, get colin mcrae 2 for pc, [looks like an xbox game compared to the ps1 version ] it's crystal clear, hi-res, with tree shadows & no patch needed. [only it seems steering sensitivity options don't work, so if you prefer low sense, get DXtweak and make the axis 50% less.]

driver 1 was also updated for pc in 2000 & looks more like gta3 now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Sorry if I am resurrecting an old topic, but I also have the problem Kimmo is having with the analog deadzones in ePSXe 1.7.0. I'm using a Logitech Dual Action. I succesfully set it up as a dual analog controller and press the F5 key to turn it on when playing Gran Turismo. Gran Turismo also succesfully detects the analog sticks, but when playing it is has just too much deadzone and makes the game unplayable (Gran Turismo 2 too). Also it isn't the problem of the gamepad as far as I can tell, since all Windows games function with no problems in that respect. Also when searching this forum I came across some similar topics, but I couldn't find a solution regarding this subject. This topic for example, and this topic. This topic talks about a registry entry and I was wondering if tinkering with some settings here could solve the deadzone problem? If anyone could shed some light on this subject it is very much appreciated. :)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
use PCSX-R with the latest SSSPSXPad plugin from PCSX2.

the issue is that epsxe is using the wrong value for its centering value.

·
twentyninetyseven
602 Posts
another option is to use 'negcon' pad mode in epsxe, from what i've read GT supports it, [but with issues with throttle/brakes, and also with physical negcon pads i believe] - I can confirm there is absolutely NO steering deadzone in negcon mode in wipeout 2097/epsxe 1.7, [ingame config shows 0%, slightest touch moves it instantly no more than 3%] so if GT has deadzone in negcon mode, must be game specific.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the replies, :)

I tried using the 'negcon' option right away. Although I still haven't figured out how to set up the axis properly :(, I noticed that in the options menu of Gran Turismo 2 I could now adjust axis settings, while with my dual analog setup this was disabled! :???:
Could it be that somehow ePSXe is using digital output on the dual analog mode sticks?

·
twentyninetyseven
602 Posts
only if you mapped the sticks to epsxe d-pad. use digital acc/brake in negcon mode as epsxe analog necgon acc/brake is buggy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
only if you mapped the sticks to epsxe d-pad. use digital acc/brake in negcon mode as epsxe analog negcon acc/brake is buggy.
That is not what I meant, I meant that it seems like ePSXe is using digital output for the 'dual analog' mode (and perhaps for the 'dual shock' mode too), but it does put out analog signals in 'negcon' mode. Let me explain it with some screenshots I made. :D

This is from the options menu in Gran Turismo 2, but Gran Turismo 1 behaviour is exact the same. These two pictures are for ePSXe with the controller configured in 'dual analog' mode:

As you can see it does detect the thumbsticks, but it doesn't use analog output.

These two screens are when I configured ePSXe with the controller to 'negcon' mode:

So when in 'negcon' mode it does use analog output !!!
I'm not sure, but I think we may have discovered a bug here. :p
By the way, I can't use my gamepad in 'negcon' mode as ePSXe doesn't assign my controller axis' and buttons properly, it springs into my mind that I had the same problem when I configured my controller as a 'dual shock', that is why I had to use the 'dual analog' mode.
Guess I have to try Squall's suggestion then and fire up PCSX-R, but from what I can remember it doesn't support accellerated graphics. :(

·
twentyninetyseven
602 Posts
1. as i said: do NOT use analogue for acc/brk in negcon mode, epsxe uses buttons I/II/L as buggy analog buttons only, which you have assigned to acc/brk - use buttons A/B/R instead & d-pad for reverse, basically buttons I/II/L are unusable, but twist axis for steering is fine.

2. as for analog mode, it's likely working but may just not be configurable in GT [try on console to confirm] but will obviously be digital if the steering isn't gradual ingame once past the deadzone. all my games work correctly in analog mode, there is a slight deadzone but it's barely noticable in non-precision arcade racers.

3. if you use PCSX 1.5 [+R?] try these plugins [will look as good as epsxe]:

D3D renderer 1.11 [search gpuImpactD3D.dll on google] PAL frame limit=25, 30 for ntsc, SAPUcdr 1.0, eternal spu 1.4 [or Peops Dsound 1.9] and optionally Harakiri pad plugin or similar. you also have to close/restart the emu after you modify plugins/settings for stability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
use PCSX-R with the latest SSSPSXPad plugin from PCSX2.

the issue is that epsxe is using the wrong value for its centering value.
I busted my arse trying to find a copy of that emulator and particularly the pad plugin, but the emulator runs like crap and the controller shows up as digital in GT2 despite apparently configuring properly in the emulator.

>: (

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
the plugin has the ability to assign an analogue enable button.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.