Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a lot of changes in this version, but no textures yet! Sorry ! ...

Here's a list of changes:
-------------

- Added place holder 8x8 and 16x16 sprites
- Added the flat textured triangle (although with no texture yet! :)
- Added more standard resolution choices to the screen configuration menu
- Draw offsets enabled. Should fix some problems with polygons showing up in
wrong places.
- All of the primitives have the correct color now. I was reading the data
backwards before...
- Added the single flat line primitive
- Added the single GShaded line primitive
- Added restore viewport on pause and continue, which fixes the problem
of the screen not being stretched properly.
- Added the primitive rectangle/block fill, although it's not emulated in
VRAM yet.
- Rendering calls use a sightly more efficient way of passing data to the
OpenGL API.
- Color operations for the primitives are A LOT faster now! :)
- Improved speed of memory copying in the quad primitives
- Frame buffer updates in direct display area are now very much improved.
Fixes a lot of problems, and speeds up things a bit!

Have fun!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Uh, oh... I can't seem to get wipeout to work at all now...

the sound plays fine, but none of the 2d or 3d graphics display; as you can see, the windows that were behind the epsxe graphics window were all that I could see. When I tried it fullscreen, my irc windows continued to scroll with new text, even though I could hear the game playing.

After that, I tried pete's dx6 plugin, and that worked, then I tried his ogl, and that caused a crash. Zen's ogl plugin had a lot of error messages (Unable to create OpenGL Render Context), which I didn't want to spend the time to go through in order to see if it worked.

I'm going to see if this problem is fixed with a reboot. I know that the other ogl plugins worked in the past, but I haven't used them very recently, so I'm going to see if:
a) the new version of nextgl crashed so badly as to sabotage all my ogl until i reboot
or b) something I did before this messed up ogl (I believe I ran 1.0 during this same session; I don't think I've rebooted since then), which will be fixed by rebooting (I would be able to tell if this is the case by trying pete's ogl plugin first, then 1.1 nextgl, then pete's again)

I can't shut down at the moment, but I'll post my results as soon as possible.

EDIT: I just noticed, in that screenshot, it's not 640x480. I did try to configure it for 640x480, although I noticed that every time I went in to the config menu all the radio buttons in the nextgl config were blank, like I hadn't picked anything before.

-=Marcus

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Nick U are doing a pretty good work.I played a few games such as SmackDown!2.......These games are running fine but the roblem is with th mdecs.I mean there are no movies.SO please check this problem.

·
Registered
136 Posts
NickK, there seems to be a problem with configuring it (maybe)
On the machine I'm at now! (a P3 500, 128Mb Ram, ATi Rage Pro Turbo 4Mb) I tried using v1.1, and all I got was a tiny box with just the titlebar!
What I had to do was download the original v1.0 configure & run that, and then replace it with v1.1
These games are running fine but the roblem is with th mdecs
Well "some" mdecs are working! Most of the Square based ones (except Vagrant Story) are working! Not sure on any others though ;)

I can't really compare this one much because I only have 1 game here at the moment! I'll test it some more when I get home! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Nice avatar NickK:D

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm really sorry Marcus. I didn't think my little changes would break compatibility. Anyway, here's the plugin again, and I've restored the original init code. Tell me how it works.

NEW: Please note that I think the original problem was with the bad config file replacing code :) ... This one will run slightly slower than the other one I posted, but it looks slightly better too :)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Also, Marcus, if you get a config error like that again. Please delete NextGL.CFG file in the ePSXe directory to reset the config. It should do it automaticaly, but that might be the source of your problems :)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, liaqatali, about the MDECs... I know _exactly_ why some of them don't show. SquareSoft seems to write directly to the frame buffer to display their MDECs. However, I've noticed a majority of other programmers decided to use the tiling function (not yet available) to display them. I'm looking into adding that feature next :)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ben! As I told Marcus, you'll want to delete the \ePSXe\NextGL.cfg file to get things working again... I'm not sure why exactly it's not replacing the old version of the configuration file, but I'll definitely look into that!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Marcus, I would like to know how the first plugin I posted (original v1.1) works after you deleted the old cfg file... Thanks!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by NickK
Thanks Ben! As I told Marcus, you'll want to delete the \ePSXe\NextGL.cfg file to get things working again... I'm not sure why exactly it's not replacing the old version of the configuration file, but I'll definitely look into that!
Yep, that seems to fix it! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I deleted the config file and tried running the old 1.1 again, but I got the same problem. Then I deleted the config file and tried the new 1.1, but still the same problem. I haven't been able to reboot yet though, so whatever problem the old one caused may still be in effect.

-=Marcus

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Do you know exactly where it's crashing? Or is it just as soon as the window appears?

I don't know exactly why it would just start acting like this... Anyway, if it IS crashing as soon as the window appears. You might just need a reboot!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I rebooted, and it froze when it shut down, which is not normal behavior for me (usually I get a bluescreen with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, I suspect it's the fault of my soundblaster software, but I haven't looked in to it yet). Once I had finally restarted, I put in Wipeout. , I tried pete's ogl, and it worked, then I deleted the nextgl config from before and tried the new version 1.1, and it works beautifully:

Then, I deleted the config and installed the old 1.1, and it once again worked beautifully:

The only really noticable problem I'm seeing at the moment in 1.1 in Wipeout is a bit of trailing when I go through the tunnel on the first level:

Also, the smear is particularly noticable at a moment where the camera goes below the track after the first big jump, which is right before the tunnel.

-=Marcus

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm really glad to hear the new version is working properly :) I really wish I knew ePSXe acted up sometimes...

Anyway, future versions should properly replace old config files, so you probably won't need to delete it again, but you never know :p

The screen shots look nice! Is the sky in WipeOut usually textured or is it a solid color?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wipeout normally has a textured sky (very simple textures, just a few stars).

I just tried wipeout on Pete's dx6 plug, and I noticed two things. The trails in the tunnel are 2d objects, which look circular in pete's because most of the square is transparent. It seems like, in nextgl, the objects leave trails when they are overlapping each other, but stop trailing once they are alone (they become alone due to your changing perspective; that is, they're lights in the tunnel, and the ones close to you are spaced apart while the ones far away look close together and overlapping). The other thing I noticed was that the car appears in pete's plugin now; I guess that was something that was fixed with epsxe 1.4 (I hadn't tried wipeout since 1.4 was released).

BTW, some of the weapon effects are really, REALLY cool without textures!

Also, I tried Battle Arena Toshinden again, and it looks like all the trailing is still there in front of the sky:

-=Marcus

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'm sure your trailing problems in Wipeout are due to a lack of textures. I'm getting there! I've made some great progress, so when the next version comes out it should have full texture support :)

Thanks for checking out my plugin again! It's been helpful!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts