Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Not a Registered User
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Originally I thought that my old i3 4170 wasn't powerful enough for 4x but lately I upgraded to i7 4770 and still the 4x doesn't ran smoothly.
CPU usage is at around 30% but i still get constant framerate drops and stuttering.

Just a curiosity, any clues?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
strange, I get a solid 60fps (80+ with the frame limit off) what spu?? gpu core goes hand in hand with the internal spu, anything else doesn't play nice
1576989109874.png

**EDIT**
almost forgot, I have an i5 4670, 16gb ram and a gtx 1660

·
Not a Registered User
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
strange, I get a solid 60fps (80+ with the frame limit off) what spu?? gpu core goes hand in hand with the internal spu, anything else doesn't play nice View attachment 201271

**EDIT**
almost forgot, I have an i5 4670, 16gb ram and a gtx 1660
Im confused as well, same settings, default internal SPU, with the FPS limit off I get around 70FPS with some serous FPS skips.
My setup.
Wim10 i7 4770 3.4-3.9GHz
Geforce 750 1GB soon to be Geforce 1650S 4GB
16GB DDR3 1600MHZ
Testing on Spyro 1.

·
Seasoned ePSXe User
633 Posts
Im confused as well, same settings, default internal SPU, with the FPS limit off I get around 70FPS with some serous FPS skips.
My setup.
Wim10 i7 4770 3.4-3.9GHz
Geforce 750 1GB soon to be Geforce 1650S 4GB
16GB DDR3 1600MHZ
Testing on Spyro 1.
You don't have ePSXe and/or your disc images on an external HDD or perhaps a rather old internal HDD do you? Maybe even the rare running your physical disc on a optical drive (this one is a real long shot considering how long you've been on the forum.)?

·
Not a Registered User
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You don't have ePSXe and/or your disc images on an external HDD or perhaps a rather old internal HDD do you? Maybe even the rare running your physical disc on a optical drive (this one is a real long shot considering how long you've been on the forum.)?
Both are on a internal 8TB HDD 2-3 years old, but just to check this out I moved ePSXe and the disc image to the main SSD OS internal drive, still same issue occurs.

The only fix is to either use the OGL plugin or lower the internal rendering resolution to 2x or 1x.

Edit.
To exclude another option the CPU isn't overheating and downclocking, when I bought the CPU I also bought a new cooler for it rather than use stock.
At stress the CPU reaches 64c max, can't break 65c :) with ePSXe it stays at around 50c, and normal operating temperature with stock is 70-80c from what I read.
What surprised me thou is that the GPU sees usage at about 30-50%, isn't the GPU core pure software?
Thou I recall the devs saying in a email that it's mixed CPU GPU thou that was for the android version.

Sadly threading option also doesn't help, in ePSXe or setting core affiliation in system doesn't help either.

·
Seasoned ePSXe User
633 Posts
Both are on a internal 8TB HDD 2-3 years old, but just to check this out I moved ePSXe and the disc image to the main SSD OS internal drive, still same issue occurs.

The only fix is to either use the OGL plugin or lower the internal rendering resolution to 2x or 1x.

Edit.
To exclude another option the CPU isn't overheating and downclocking, when I bought the CPU I also bought a new cooler for it rather than use stock.
At stress the CPU reaches 64c max, can't break 65c :) with ePSXe it stays at around 50c, and normal operating temperature with stock is 70-80c from what I read.
What surprised me thou is that the GPU sees usage at about 30-50%, isn't the GPU core pure software?
Thou I recall the devs saying in a email that it's mixed CPU GPU thou that was for the android version.

Sadly threading option also doesn't help, in ePSXe or setting core affiliation in system doesn't help either.
Your GFX card still has to handle some of the increased resolution burden. It is, after all what is driving the displayed image on your monitor. There will always be some GFX usage when displaying an image on a monitor regardless.

·
Not a Registered User
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your GFX card still has to handle some of the increased resolution burden. It is, after all what is driving the displayed image on your monitor. There will always be some GFX usage when displaying an image on a monitor regardless.
Fair point, also does anyone know what the rendering resolution multiplier is multiplying?
Like is it 320/240x4= 1280/960? Not a high resolution is it.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
1280x960 sounds right..... the gpu usage is the ogl blit...
it is all pure software and that cpu should be more than enough.....I have to leave for a bit, when I come back I will try spyro just to verify it is normal as well...other than that all I can think of is a bad rip or if compressed image, slow decompression

·
Not a Registered User
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1280x960 sounds right..... the gpu usage is the ogl blit...
it is all pure software and that cpu should be more than enough.....I have to leave for a bit, when I come back I will try spyro just to verify it is normal as well...other than that all I can think of is a bad rip or if compressed image, slow decompression
Well we can tick of bad rip as this issue does not occur only in Spyro but other games as well.
As for the compression bit it could be, I have my entire collection in compressed PBP format, so once I'm home I'll definitely try an uncompressed game.
Thou would compression really cause an issue, even when nothing is being read? And even if it was the max read speed of a PS1 is 300kbs and a seek time of a physical CD drive.
All I'm saying that live decompressing at that speed even with some overhead would probably use up like 0.01% of a single core.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
ahhh not you, just tried spyro and indeed it has some issues.....only dropped a couple of FPS but then audio went static and you could see the micro pauses

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
intrestingly, retroarch runs it @ 8x (Beetle PSX HW so interpreter core) perfectly fine and uses less CPU (20%)
1577047432797.png

·
Not a Registered User
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
intrestingly, retroarch runs it @ 8x (Beetle PSX HW so interpreter core) perfectly fine and uses less CPU (20%) View attachment 201273
Well the only thing I can add to this is the fact that ePSXe is still very much a a single core program, and sadly the threading option is far from finished or even properly working.
Which means while in general you'll see 20-30% CPU usage if you check the cores one of them will see 70-80% usage.
The OS probably helps a bit with the multi threading, but unless it's coded in the program the boost will be minimal.
As for RetroArch Beetle I dunno if it is multi threaded or not.

Also using either Dynarec or interpreter didn't change the performance on ePSXe.

Edit
intrestingly, retroarch runs it @ 8x (Beetle PSX HW so interpreter core) perfectly fine and uses less CPU (20%) View attachment 201273
That's cause Beetle PSX "HW" is hardware base the GPU is doing the bulk of the work, in pure software mode Beetle PSX I get the same performance on 4x as in ePSXe, and just like ePSXe it mostly uses a single core.

Shame but it would seem that for 4x in pure software you would need a CPU with clock speed around 4-5GHz.

·
298 Posts
That's cause Beetle PSX "HW" is hardware base the GPU is doing the bulk of the work, in pure software mode Beetle PSX I get the same performance on 4x as in ePSXe, and just like ePSXe it mostly uses a single core.
Code:
Settings > Video:
                * Threaded Video
RetroArch supports threaded video, but very few cores are optimized for multiprocessing in critical components. Therefore, many suffer from bottlenecks.

There are several types of optimizations for multiprocessing in emulators. The most common are in memory, video and CPU. At the same time, each of them is divided into synchronous, asynchronous or any other strange method of synchronization that only makes sense for the emulated component.
Some games may work very well with such optimizations, others may break completely. So it's a matter of trial and error.

The threaded video in RetroArch is probably synchronous... I'm not sure. In any case, keep in mind that the use of any of these optimizations is not bulletproof.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts