6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I would like to play GT 1 (PAL) on my PC

Duron 800
384 MB RAM
GeForce 2 MX
SB Live

My problem is, it looks I play it in Software-Mode. I tested it with (I think) with all Plugins and the different modes. I tested @ all Detos with the same result. PLZ can anyone help me ??????????

CU, Zorbel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I tested (I think) all plugins, but I post a screenshot of the plugin and the config. I hope you can help me. :(

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Well for one I would recommend using extend filtering. Also you really do have your offscreen drawing set too high, try dropping it down to standard. Enhanced if you still feel that it isn't doing what it should. Also can you post a screenshot demonstrating your problem, because it looks to me like it should be displaying fine with those settings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The second is, the car in the looking-glasses looks like a cigarette-box and the detail is realy poor, ;) the rocks on the horizon like a paper-rock

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
If you're comparing GT1 to PC games graphics, then that's what you get...... it's sh!tty.... it is only a PSX game after all.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
That's really not fair to judge a game soely on its graphics. I play GT2 a lot, but I don't complain about some bad graphics that I see. Why? I enjoy it. Can you find a game as good as GT2 on the PC? I don't think so (or Tekken 3 for that matter.) If you think the "details are so bad" using an emulator, why not try the actual thing... :p

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
It looks to me like it is applying bilinear filtering properly. There is nothing you can do to tweak it from here. Maybe you should try scanlines and see if that is more to your liking. Epsxe can't enhance the polycount after all.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Originally posted by NickK
That's really not fair to judge a game soely on its graphics. I play GT2 a lot, but I don't complain about some bad graphics that I see. Why? I enjoy it. Can you find a game as good as GT2 on the PC? I don't think so (or Tekken 3 for that matter.) If you think the "details are so bad" using an emulator, why not try the actual thing... :p
Oh yeah I agree with you... don't get me wrong, I love GT2, GT1 (and alot of other PSX games as well).... I was just trying to make the point that you shouldn't even try to compare the graphics of PC and PSX games.... besides, it's gameplay that matters! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I am very agree with kairi00 and nickk...

and why those things happen is because...
you see, PSX games, especially 3D games, they are using a Low Res Graphics Texture, that is applys for TV...
so, when everything applied to PC, PC's monitor's Resolution much higher than TV's, so the emu try to rearrange everything with the available Video Card,(if they don't, you can see the result with VGS and ePSXe(using the software plugins)) but the result is not to good too, as you can see in your GT(which sometime can be overcome with Bilinear Filtering :) and only work with some game :( )...

so, my last word is...

ENJOY, because that is the best you can get with emu, because EMU won't never be perfect :(

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Now here's a bit of an idea... I want to see how feasible it is to increase the polycount of PSX games through subdivision.... I don't really know how the whole scheme works, but assuming that you load all the polygons required for a scene into VRAM before it's used, potentially we could use subdivision surfaces (2 levels, maybe) to increase polycount and thus probably get better quality graphics.... but again, there will be tradeoffs using this method. Loading times will be longer than a real PSX, and you better get some serious graphics card going in your system (since the polygon count jumps significantly; subdivision splits one vertex into as many as the degree of the initial vertex).

Implementing the subdivision itself won't be a problem, the real question here is, say I want to write a GPU plugin that utilizes subdivision.... does the plugin get access all the scene polygons ahead of time?

[edit] Actually, applying old textures to the new resulting polygon mesh might be a problem... hmmm.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to bump up and oldish topic but it looks from the pictures that the settings on the graphics card arent set to what they should be got best looking.

Rive Tuner works nicely.
http://guru3d.com/download/rivatuner/RivaTuner20RC8.ZIP

And so does Anstropic filtering. And if your useing D3d theres a bar you can tweak... cant remember what its callled... but see the bar to (minus. Minusing this setting makes things look better as long as you dont set it to high) -0.5 or something. Keep in mind the higher you set every thing the slower it will go! And those GeForce 2 MX's arent meant for heavy duty if ya get what I mean. Good luck ;)

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Originally posted by Sir Canealot
Sorry to bump up and oldish topic but it looks from the pictures that the settings on the graphics card arent set to what they should be got best looking.

Rive Tuner works nicely.
http://guru3d.com/download/rivatuner/RivaTuner20RC8.ZIP

And so does Anstropic filtering. And if your useing D3d theres a bar you can tweak... cant remember what its callled... but see the bar to (minus. Minusing this setting makes things look better as long as you dont set it to high) -0.5 or something. Keep in mind the higher you set every thing the slower it will go! And those GeForce 2 MX's arent meant for heavy duty if ya get what I mean. Good luck ;)
Seems like you are talking about LOD(level of Detail Bias) which doesn't really work for psx games running in epsxe.. I have set my LOD settings to the highest and lowest and there is no difference with psx games being run on epsxe..

One way to improve the visual quality in psx games running on epsxe is to use HLE which would mean stripping the graphics away from the psx gpus.. Kinda like what Ultra HLE did with N64..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Speaking of those N64's HLE engine, was the graphics stripping really done on run-time? (those N64 emu's graphic is really impresive :) ). and if this is applycable to PSX emu, I think the graphic will be much better :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts