Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Who here uses one of these? I'm pretty confused as to what makes a GPS system. I've seen a GPS cost anywhere from $100 to $400 upwards. I've also heard of people using a laptop or palmpilot with certain software as GPS. So how exactly do you get yourself a GPS? Since it uses satellite to determine your location, do you need to sign up for some sort of monthly service?

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
IIRC, GPS is a free service, but who knows for how long. The GPS works by three satelites measuring your distance from each of the 3 and can then claculate with that information where in the world you are.

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,619 Posts
I have a GPS system myself. I have the version of Microsoft Streets and Trips that comes with the GPS unit which connects to a PC via USB (or Laptop for more practical use). I should say that it works quite well. You don't have to sign up anywhere to use it either. Just install the driver and Streets and Trips, then you can initialize the usb gps unit and you're ready to go. It also updates fairly quicky as well.

You can get it at various stores and costs around $150 (CAN). It's a nice cheap GPS solution and if you need a GPS system and you also have a laptop, this is great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts