Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. I picked it up last thursday at Funcoland near where I live. It is a great little machine. I 've been playing w/it quite a bit and I must say I am impressed. If anyone likes the GB then you have got to try the GBA. Once you do, you'll be hooked.
I wouldn't part w/mine now for anything.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Do you plan to get a GameCube too?
So you could link the two machines.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
For some games you'll be able to use the GBA as a gamepad with a screen displaying options(ex: a Football game where you can select your tactics without your oponent seeing them).

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Maybe you will be able to play some mini-games,like the Pocketstation or the VMU of the DC.
And maybe(I said maybe) if a Zelda(or any other game) comes out on GBA,you could unlock things on the GC version by playing the GBA one and vice-versa.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Neojag. Yup, the GBA abd Game Cube will be linkable once the Game Cube is released.
Raziel, I'm not sure if I am going to get a Game Cube or not. It depends what type of games are out on it. The reason I opted for the GBA is because it will play the entire line of GB games, Pocket GB games, Color GB games, plus it's own games. There are so many great games out there for the GB that getting a GB Advance seemed like the perfect choice. I already have Mario Advance (an improved version of Super Mario Bros. 2, which is gorgeous), Final Fantasy Adventure (the first Secret of Mana), Teteris (couldn't live w/out that one), and Dragon Warrior 1&2(that one is getting very very hard to find). All these games can be played in Wide Screen mode which makes them look even better. Yes, I am definately "One Happy Camper" thanks to Nintendo and the GBA.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
i heard that the GBA has sound problems with a small number of GB/GBC games.
Nintendo has published a list I think.

otherwise, i'm really thinking about trading my GBC for a GBA...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would definately think about doing just that, takwu. I had a GBC for a short time and there is no way it measures up to the GBA. As for the sound problems, I hadn't heard about those, but the games I have, Final Fantasy Adventure, Super Mario Advance, Tetris, and Dragon Warrior I & II, have no problems at all. The GBA is quite a system that, IMHO, will live up to the hype Nintendo has given it.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, but I'd rather see more newer games, and not that much snes remakes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree.

Overall I'm pleased with my GBA (imagine having a machine as powerful as an SNES or a Genesis that can fit in your shirt pocket!)
but
I'm getting really tired of waiting for some good NEW games to arrive - as opposed to the SNES remakes and sequels that have been prominent so far...

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
hmm, actually the two games I'm interested are:
Final Fight (SNES remake? or a truer arcade port?)
GT Advance (well certainly not an SNES title, but is it any good?)

If any of you guys got these games, please comment. As I said I'm still thinking about getting the GBA...

after all, the GBA is a 32bit machine, they should be able to do something better than the SNES in some aspects.

oh, and OF COURSE, I'm also looking forward to that Return Fire port, it was a great game.

one more thing... the Genesis was once shrunk into the handheld NOMAD. Doesn't really fit in your pocket, but hey it played all those Genesis cartridges and got a pretty big screen, and was smaller than the original Lynx :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
gba is much more powerful than a snes.

final fight one is a port of snes with arcade graphics, but it has all the missing stuff that are not present in the crappy snes version. it can display as many as 6 enemies and 2 players in one screen. not to mention you can choose guy and cody from zero3.

mario kart, although it's nowhere compared to the n64 version, it still looks better than the snes version.

gt advance, not as good as you think it would be from the screen shots on internet. mostly because gba doesn't have a 3d processor(lol), all racing games are done in pre-rendered 3d graphics. looks pretty much like those snes racing games.

castlevania cotm, the only castlevania game that can compete with the castlevania sotn, i hope konami is going to port it to ps with better graphics, and add some specials.

super street fighter 2x revival, certain better than all sf games on snes, very close to arcade perfect, and you will have shin gouki.

of coz the best game is still chuchu rocket.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
i'm not too sure about street fighter... anything less than 6 buttons kinda bugs me for sf games, let alone a full size arcade stick.

dont get me wrong, i'd think the game will be good. SF alpha was an excellent game for GBC, considering the hardware they had to work with. but it just wont be the same...

perhaps that Gem Fighter game (that "cute" SF game) would be a better port for the GBA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Okay, all in all, I think the GBA is a step forward in portable console gaming, but after GB and GBC, when will Nintendo learn to add a blacklight to the thing. I mean, it would have been a great feature if you could actually play the darn thing in the dark and not have to buy some stupid little lamp that doesn't shine a decent amount of light over the screen. Also I never knew that the GBA and the Gamecube could be linked together, which is really suprising to me. Very interesting. Anyways, nintendo doesn't really interest me anymore. Most of the games seem to appeal to young children to the teens. (ie Diddy Kong racing, Pokemon) If I had to pick a console to buy in the near future, I would either pick ps2 or the new X-box coming in november (In the US).:yawn:

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Originally posted by Backet_Case
Anyways, nintendo doesn't really interest me anymore. Most of the games seem to appeal to young children to the teens. (ie Diddy Kong racing, Pokemon)
OK,so you say you don't like the "childish" games,did you actually played Diddy Kong Racing? It will give you more fun than any PS2 or Xbox game out there(not as much as Mario Kart though,and Xbox games aren't even here:) ).
I think the that people saying that Nintendo only make games for kids are wrong(Nintendo didn't make DKR,Rare made it),it's just that they used to(well OK,they still make some like Pokemon,simply horrible,pppppppiiiiikkkkkkkkaaaaaaccccchhhhhhuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!:D ).
But now they make games dor everyone,tell me you think Zelda is a kid game and I'll tell you you're crazy!
You'll tell me that Mario is a kid game,and I''ll tell you that,NO,Mario is a game for everyone,kid will like the Mario character,and other more"mature"people(even if most of us are immature;) )will prefer the possibility of the game and the fun you have playing it and trying to get all stars.

I think people like you telling "nintendo doesn't really interest me anymore. Most of the games seem to appeal to young children to the teens." aren't honnest to themselves,they just want to act big and say"Hey! who do you think I am? I a man(or a woman:) ),I want blood and sex in my games,I won't play to those silly LOOKING games(the "LOOKING" is important since they ONLY look silly).

I won't tell that PS2 sucks(I won't give my advice about Xbox cause it's MS and I HATE them,I don't want them to rule everything,soon they'll make our food,clothes,TV programs,EVERYTHING) cause it's not the fact(only the games suck at the moment,can't wait for FFX and MGS2).

And I'll tell you one thing,I plan to buy a PS2 AND a GameCube cause they're will be lots of good games on both system(aahhhhhh Rogue Squadron 2,what a game).

So,you may think that I'm wrong,then so be it,I won't change you(it's not my will)but I would like you to think about this:are the Nintendo games that look to be for kids are uninteresting?(exept Pokemon that is;) )

See Ya.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Originally posted by Adair
And I'm even more mature than Raziel is. Haha, just kidding, Raziel:D
Well,maybe you are,we never know;)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Raziel,
I think you're over reacting, hehe. tho i agree with most of it.

Backet_case only referred to choosing the console as a final comment in his post. i think his post is more on the GBs (on topic).

The Gameboys, undoubtedly, is marketed more towards younger audiences. Of course, there are games suitable for all ages (like Raziel said for the N64), but I don't think there are any adult-only games ever on the GB.
As mentioned in my posts, I currently own a GBC and thinking of trading it for the GBA. Anyways, where I used to work, I occasionally brought my GBC to lunch. And not surprisingly, some people laughed, and others smiled :) One person said he'd rather buy a WinCE and play GB emus on it if he had to. And I simply asked if he knew it'd cost 7 times the money, and I didn't even know if there were any wince gb emu, let alone how well they'd run.
I think most people think of the GB as a children ONLY console, but they're mistaken. It is a portable console, and as such, most adults aren't interested; most of us just play games at home, when no one is around, as opposed to kids, they want to play any time, anywhere.
Well I'm one adult who STILL wants to play any time, anywhere :) And thankfully there are many titles for the GBC that are good for the like of us.

afterall, sxamiga, who's in his forties if memory serves, started this thread out of his joy of getting a GBA :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts