Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Perhaps this pertains more to ePSXe, but maybe it is w/my sound card, so I am posting this here. I did a fresh, clean, reinstall of Win 98 last night. I tested ePSXe w/it and it worked fine, except for the sound. I was playing Gauntlet Legends (my favorite) and the SFX were missing or only partially there. I made it through the first level that I tried, but then on the next level that i tried I got an illegal operation and when I looked at it, it said "ePSXe has caused an illegal page fault in ePSXe.exe". So, I'm wondering if this could be due to my sound card or the SPU I'm using. I was using the internal (built in) SPU , my card is a Sound Blaster Live Value, and I have the lastest drivers and Live Ware 3.0 installed. I'm using DX 8.1. Does this sound like a sound card or SPU issue? I seem to recall that, a while back, it was mentioned that ePSXe could have problems w/SB Live sound cards. If anyone has any ideas, then I would appriecate hearing what they are. I'm going to try some other games, SPUs, and even try turing the sound off. This should give me a pretty good idea of what may be happening. Thanks in advance for any help.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
Well does your card produce the sound wrong in in everything else (mp3s/other emus etc) or just epsxe?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sound probs...

I must admit I only recently began using ePsxe, but wouldn't it be wise to check out other possible plugins, which you can download here at NGEmu?! One is bound to work! Good luck!:confused:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I found out the problem, it was due to overheating, not my sound card. Well, I've taken care of the overheating problem and everthing is fine once again.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Hi sxamiga!....I just wanted to know that what was the reason for over heating and how you managed to take care of it.

Ali

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Ali, long time no "see". How've you been? My overheating problem was due to my upgrading from an Athlon 1.2ghz T-Bird to an Athlon 1.4ghz T-Bird and from a GeForce 2 GTS video card to a GeForce3 TI 200 video card. I took care of the problem by buying a new CPU fan and heat sink (w/micro fins) a case fan and a heat blower fan that blows up to 42 cfm (cubic feet per minute) of hot air out of the case. Add to those my power supply fan, a fan and heat sink on my video card and my mother board has a fan also. Six fans does the trick. No more over heating for me.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AMD chips generally need a bit more cooling than Intel's, dont they?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have 7 fans and still my duron runs at 43^C at idle and goes up to 50 on full load..
Due to manufacturing, the stepping that your processor came from might already be at its limit, so it probably would run warm...
50 degrees isn't bad really.

At the momment I have a Duron 950(100) with a standard HSF and 1 case fan and it rarely heats up past 45 degrees under load.

Also have a friend with an older TBird 1200(100) which alwyas seems to be running at 60-70, i was surprised it had burnt out yet, but his processor seems to be working properly.

~fluffy~
[email protected]

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know what you mean fluffy. When I had my 1.2ghz T-Bird installed, I never had any overhating problems. But when I switched to the 1.4, bingo, overheating.
Yes Samor, the Athlons do seem to run a bit warm. I had never experiened it until now and I really don't want to ever again.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
One thing is ofcourse awesome about AMDs, performance, but next time when I will jump to 2 or 3 Ghz then I would prefer intel.Why? well in my casing I have two fan one on front(Inward flow) and other on the back close to processor (Out flow) These fans are taken from a server, which tend to sound loud and supply huge amounts of air. Sound is what pinches me....I have not got any other problem.

Intels work perfect with their original fan, no need for any other blower. I have not seen an pentium perform, so I guess maybe I am wrong

Ali

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shouldn't this be under either ePSXe forum for the ePSXe question in the first post, or maybe better in the Hardware forum since the thread turned into a hardware discussion. Just Curious :)

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Hardware+epsxe=middle of no where............lol

So I guess it is better suited here.....!heheh

Ali

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keith, you brought up a good point and so did you Ali. I think that since this pertains to both ePSXe and hardware and it is a mixed topic, it should stay here. With the two topics it becomes a general topic, hence, why I put it in General Discussion.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is the cause of many problems on the forums though. People don't know what forum to post their topics into and so they end up posting in the general discussion forum and eventually getting moved to the correct forum. Maybe it is best for admins and senior members of the board to set the example so newer users can see how it should be.

We are also discussing this very problem in this thread ...

http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14682

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
The one reason that I have observed is that when in a forum there are a lot of subsections, but I think that it isn't such a big deal, if some one posts in a wrong section simply move it......!

Ali

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Ali, I've only been moderating for a few days and already I'm finding that almost 90% of my posts are due to moving stuff to were they should be. Kinda gets irratating after a while.

Although that said he probably should have discussed this with SXAmiga in private, but it is not my place to judge.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by si_ok
personally, i think keith is starting an anti_moderator movement :p i wonder why ?

btw, sorry if this offends
Obviously you don't know me very well. It has nothing to do with admins or sx/amiga. It simply has to do with people posting in the wrong forum, sx/amiga just had the majority of them so it seemed like I was picking on him, which is not was I was doing. I am very close to most of the admins of this board and have a long history with most of them. Again I repeat this has nothing to do with admins or some sort of anti_moderator movement :eyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts