Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
band
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I had to describe it in one word, spartan would be it

Google uncloaks once-secret server | Business Tech - CNET News

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--Google is tight-lipped about its computing operations, but the company for the first time on Wednesday revealed the hardware at the core of its Internet might at a conference here about the increasingly prominent issue of data center efficiency.

Most companies buy servers from the likes of Dell, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, or Sun Microsystems. But Google, which has hundreds of thousands of servers and considers running them part of its core expertise, designs and builds its own. Ben Jai, who designed many of Google's servers, unveiled a modern Google server before the hungry eyes of a technically sophisticated audience.
Google Data Center FAQ « Data Center Knowledge

Why is Google so secretive about its data centers?
Google believes its data center operations give it a competitive advantage, and says as little as possible about these facilities. The company believes that details such as the size and power usage of its data centers could be valuable to competitors. To help maintain secrecy, Google typically seeks permits for its data center projects using Limited Liability Corporations (LLCs) that don’t mention Google, such as Lapis LLC (North Carolina) or Tetra LLC (Iowa).
To add a personal touch, some of my colleagues have been in a datacentre in Toronto (with insane security measures, like x-ray, weighing you before letting you in, and body searches) in which they've seen these servers, but at the time they didn't know what on earth they were for. They remarked that they were [email protected]$$ and couldn't for the life of them figure out who was using them. So apparently for us at least that puzzle is forever solved :D

·
band
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
LOL good find. Google has server farms near the Googleplex, I highly doubt they would run such low end hardware.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.