Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Using it right now.

It had recently come out of beta with a lot of security fixes I read on dailytech.

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
Quick paste about Google Chrome 1.0
Its basically even faster than the first release, among other miscellaneous fixes/updates.

Since we first released Google Chrome, the development team has been hard at work improving the stability and overall performance of the browser. In just 100 days, we have reached more than 10 million active users around the world (on all seven continents, no less) and released 14 updates to the product. We're excited to announce that with today's fifteenth release we are taking off the "beta" label!

Google Chrome is a better browser today thanks to the many users who sent their feedback and the many more who enabled automatic crash reports, helping us rapidly diagnose and fix issues. Some of the areas where we've made great progress include:

Better stability and performance of plug-ins (particularly video). Video and audio glitches were among the most common bugs fixed during the beta period. If you had problems watching videos with Google Chrome in the past, you should be pleasantly surprised with the performance now.

Even more speed. Google Chrome starts up fast, loads pages quickly, and just keeps getting faster. Since the first beta, the V8 JavaScript engine runs 1.4 times faster on the SunSpider benchmark and 1.5 times faster on the V8 benchmark — and there is more speed to come.

Bookmark manager and privacy controls. We heard you! Better bookmark features were a top request from our users. It's now easier to switch between another browser and Google Chrome with the bookmark import and export features, and we added a new simple way to manage large numbers of bookmarks, too. We also wanted to make it even easier for you to control your browsing data, so all of the features in Google Chrome which affect user privacy are now grouped in one place with detailed explanations for each one.

We've taken security very seriously from the beginning and we will continue to look for ways to make Google Chrome and all browsers even more secure. Google Chrome's unique sandbox technology creates an additional layer of defense against harmful software, while the Safe Browsing feature provides protection against phishing and malware attacks for many browser users.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How's your take on it? Firefox is nice, but I wouldn't mind trying something different that's decent.

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
Acceptable for occasional browsing, or to just rapidly check out sites, for instance. There a number of issues that simply warrant to NOT switch to it as the main webbrowser. Best stick to Firefox and Opera.
An extension API is planned, but so far nothing much, so no Adblock or Noscript.

Its one of those apps you just need to try so as to get a better idea about. Softpedia used to host a portable version of it that doesnt require install (Chromium-based).

·
Miserable Bugger
1,090 Posts
I couldn't stick with Chrome because it refused to stay at the edge of the screen, when I dragged its window there, after closing and restarting.

·
One of the most...
953 Posts
Chrome has potential, but is not "there" yet. Lacks some features and googleupdate.exe in the background is annoying. It may be fast, but it is not like FF and Opera are far behind it.

·
Administrator
8,198 Posts
It's my main browser at work. That is mostly because I dont need stuff like Adblock or Noscript since I only visit certain website at work. (Citrix panel, web outlook, gmail, etc..)

Slowly starting to use it more and more at home too. But still not totally there yet. Great browser overall.

·
One of the most...
953 Posts
Just bust some mouse gestures to it and session managers and I'm all it. :p

There may be another features in Opera I would like there too, I dunno, and forgot to mention.

See ya. :)

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Just inatalled it, and ma using it right now; pretty good IMO, especially this 'incoginto mode' but......lacks ADD-ONS!!

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts

Encountered 3 bugs with it so far:

1) Some GIFs fail to run properly. Most of the avatars here run very jerkily and often, not at all. For some reason, Schumi's avatar has ALWAYS been frozen and haven't seen it run EVER in Chrome oO

2) You can't type anything into the main body of text in Hotmail. You can write addresses, subjects and even attach files, but its all useless IMO if you can't type anything into the friggin' mail! Nothing wrong with my account though, works perfectly with FF and Opera

3) Whenever it suffers an improper shutdown (power failure in my case) the "Restore" tabs feature doesn't work.....or at least not in 3 minutes (pretty useless if it takes that long, FF does it in just 10-15 seconds)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts