Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any good directories of webradio stations, ones with nonconventional content? The only ones I can find are shoutcast, spinner/[email protected], and live365. Most of them (such as launchcast and Real) only have conventional stations like rock, rap (YUCK!), country, classical, etc. I'm looking for stuff like celtic, jpop, holiday music, old time radio, etc.
Ones I've already tried include; shoutcast, spinner/[email protected], live365 (more ads than actual content), icecast (has very few streams), real (no nonconventional stations), launchcast (no nonconventional stations), tuner2 (not many nonconventional stations), itunes (same stations as shoutcast, but fewer of them), aol radio through winamp's media library (almost exactly the same as [email protected], especially if you use spinamp), winamp music/radio (just an interface for shoutcast), msn.
Anyone know of any others I can try? AAC+ format would be really good, WMA and real aren't so good, mp3 and ogg are fine.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,624 Posts
ok download winamp go to media library then go to inernet radio and click refresh. an average of 1000+ stations each with unique content ranging from excellent-good quality and ooh did i mention the amazing content. and if youve already tired all thouse stations (technically impossible) then thats about it. there is nothing left for you to try just buy some cds.

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coolsvilleman: Read my post again.
aol radio through winamp's media library (almost exactly the same as [email protected], especially if you use spinamp), winamp music/radio (just an interface for shoutcast)
Older version of winamp only have the intenet radio, newer ones also have aol radio built in. However, winamp's internet radio only has the same stuf as shoutcast, but less of it. Winamp radio/shoutcast has a lot of stations, but the vast majority of it is the cookie cutter stuff, only a handful is celtic, jpop, holiday, etc.

Vanit: live365 (more ads than actual content),
Live365 does have a lot of stations, including many in the more unusual formats that I'm looking for. The problem there is being forced to go through their obnoxoius web interface to get stations (click the play link, wait for the popup player window to load (even though you're not using the web player, you still have to wait for it to load before the playlist will download), the repeat for every other station you wish to try, since you don't have the option of enquing a station instead of letting it replace your whole current playlist), and the large ammount of audio ads.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,624 Posts
Cypherswipe
um... the winamp interface dosent have less than shoutcast you just have to set your media player preferences to 99999999999 (just got 10403 unique stations when i refreshed) or as high as it will go, i get all the stations when i click refresh. And i have found tonsss of high quality station of standard and non-standard music from it. much easier to use than www.shoutcat.com and many higher quality stations than live 365. oh and when i said winamp radio before i actually ment shoucast radio... sorry.

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a limit setting buried in winamp's prefs somewhere?
Even if the media library does get all the shoutcast stations (I know that the number of shoutcast stations out there is right around 10,400), it's still just an interface for shoutcast. I already have shoutamp, sclister, and the shoutcast website to access shoutcast streams with. In dialup speeds, theere's only about 5 or 6 celtic stations, about 8 japanese stations, 1 or 2 xmas stations, and no halloween stations. In contrast, live365 has 3 decent halloween stations, about 8 decent xmas stations, 8 to 10 celtic stations, and a whole slew of japanese stations.
Bottomline: I've tried (and still currently use) shoutcast, but am not satisfied with it, and am looking for other alternatives.

FYI In older versions, the media library did call it internet radio or winamp radio or some such, but in 5.1 they renamed it to the more accurate "shoutcast radio" because of the fact that they added aol with XM radio to the ML.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.