Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. Quick question. im using an incredibly crappy intel 810e chipset w/ no agp port. which pci card should I invest in?

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
I never heard about a geforce2 pci either. I would try a Voodoo5 PCI.

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
I'd go for the Voodoo 4 PCI. A Voodoo 5 on a PCI is a complete waste, I don't know why 3Dfx even made it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx beta. actually there are some geforce2 pci cards, but they cost over 120us dollars, and thats too much for me. Ive decided on a tnt2m64 pci videocard. its a nice 32 bit video card, and my pc doesnt need much more for psx emulation. I have a PIII w/ 256RAM, all I needed was a decent video card, cos my stupid intel motherboard i stole from school dont have a agp slot. Damn school. cant spend good money on motherboards :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is there a significant difference between the voodoo 4 and the voodoo 5? I never hear anyone mention the voodoo 4. Also which of the following three video cards is best. Geforce 2 mx, ati radeon3D 32MB SDRAM or a voodoo 5?

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
Originally posted by Kenshin
Is there a significant difference between the voodoo 4 and the voodoo 5? I never hear anyone mention the voodoo 4. Also which of the following three video cards is best. Geforce 2 mx, ati radeon3D 32MB SDRAM or a voodoo 5?
The Voodoo 4 is the value variant of the Voodoo 5. They both use the same VSA-100 chip but the Voodoo 5 has two of them, thereby, doubling its speed(and also doubling its memory requirements).

The fastest of the 3 cards would have to be the Voodoo 5. The GeForce 2 MX is a value card, about equal in speed to the Voodoo 4, and the Radeon card you mentioned only has SDRAM, which isn't very fast compared to the Voodoo 5 `SLI' memory.

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
Originally posted by Shadow_Caster
hi. Quick question. im using an incredibly crappy intel 810e chipset w/ no agp port. which pci card should I invest in?
I just remembered something about the i810 chipset. I think it actually forces the computer to use the built-in video. I don't think it can use another video card or it will still use the built-in video even if another video card is available. I'm not entirely sure but I remember reading about this `feature' somewhere. I don't know how multi-monitor support would work on it though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WTF???!?!?!?! How can that be possible! Im never gonna steal another motherboard from school again! Im emailing intel about this right away! i cant believe they would do such a thing though. If this is indeed true, im selling my machine and buying an athlon w a gigabyte chpset. Stupid intel crap...... good for nothing....... sigh....

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
I don't know why they even put built-in video into motherboards. Most of them utterly suck and most people end up getting another video card of their choice anyways. I think they're built to be value boards or something. The upcoming Geforce-based chipsets may be interesting, but it's generally a good idea to stay away from such boards. The Intel i815 chipsets also have built-in video but on those boards you can disable it by plugging in another videocard.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Originally posted by Demigod79
I'd go for the Voodoo 4 PCI. A Voodoo 5 on a PCI is a complete waste, I don't know why 3Dfx even made it.
V5 PCI is barely slower than the AGP varient, for reasons unique to the way it's implemented. Read up on your facts.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Originally posted by Demigod79

The fastest of the 3 cards would have to be the Voodoo 5. The GeForce 2 MX is a value card, about equal in speed to the Voodoo 4, and the Radeon card you mentioned only has SDRAM, which isn't very fast compared to the Voodoo 5 `SLI' memory.
GF2MX owns V4 really quite badly. Radeon, even with SDRAM, beats out a V5 consistently. Also, the memory on the V5 isn't 'SLI'd as you like to put it. SLI is merely used to describe the way the two chips interact to render scenes (in fact, it's not quite accurate with the method v5 uses, but everyone remembers it from v2, so 3dfx stuck with it).

·
old-timer
1,330 Posts
lol, how'd u manage to steal a motherboard. are the tech guys at your school absolute morons or something?

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
A voodoo 5 isn't a waste.. I would love to get one even though I have a voodoo 5 5500 agp already.. The benchmarks show that the voodoo5 pci is only a small fraction slower than the voodoo 5 agp.. The v5 pci's are more expensive than the v5 agps too.. I would love to have the fastest glide video card on my pci, then get the fastest ogl and d3d card on my agp.. (geforce3)..

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the link 404. I checked out the "hall of fame" and was impressed, but not surprised, w/what I saw. This makes me even more happy to be the "proud" owner of an excellent GEForce 2 GTS card.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hehehe. I stole the card at night. I was playing basketball w/some friends at school, and I decided to pay the tech room a visit. There was no one in the room, and a shpment o those boards was sitting on the floor. there were hundreds of em. I just took one and tucked it into my backpack. sneaky eh?

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
Originally posted by Phuzzi

V5 PCI is barely slower than the AGP varient, for reasons unique to the way it's implemented. Read up on your facts.
Heh, looks like there's still lots of room left on the PCI bus. I wonder when AGP will finally show its edge. I just think they marketed the product wrong. The Voodoo 5 was targeted at the high-end gamer's market but most gamers I know won't even look at PCI videocards, but I guess it's a good solution for the very few minority of gamers who don't have an AGP slot. I dunno, I just don't get 3Dfx's strategy there.

Some interesting benchmarks between the Voodoo 4 and the Geforce 2 MX. http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/v44500/default.asp
The GeForce 2 MX pulls ahead in almost all the normal tests, but takes a back seat for the FSAA tests. The Voodoo 4, the perfect low-end solution for FSAA?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts