Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As people should know here in the hardware section i am a very poor person:D
But with it being christmas and a whole ton of giftcards, i may buy myself a new videocard. Now heres the catch i was wondering if there was any cards better than my old radeon 1800xt, for under 100$ Its a stretch but hey. Although i have been debating with myself recently. I love the thoguht of sli running in my system, as i have a sli mobo. And this will probably be the only significant upgrade for a while(borrowing my dads 1900, fried my 18.) So i was figuring if i get a slightly cheaper sli card, a little later if i need it or just have a little extra money from a birthday or somethin just stick another in there.

And i usually prefer dual slot video cards, but i can work with watever. Will probably change it to water cooled after a little use of the fan.

EDIT-If i can afford the extra price hows this (sorry for the advertisement of tigerdirect, i know i have been shunned for it before)http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4138165&CatId=1839

·
Banned
23,263 Posts

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Here's some good band for the buck cards.

I couldn't find the exact one I saw before (which looked exactly like my card, but it was a 9800GT), but this one is close enough. The cooler design looks a bit bad, but it's otherwise the same card, and the cooler itself does a good job (idles 40s-50s for most people, which is pretty good for a video card). The only thing is, it doesn't remove all of the air from the case.
Newegg.com - MSI N9800GT 512OC GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Alternatively, there's this 9800GT with a dual slot cooler that removes air from the case.(remember the 8800GT and 9800GT are the same card).
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N971-TR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Alternatively, any HD4850 will give a decent boost over those for a comparatively linear increase in cost, so the 8800GT/9800GT and HD4850 are probably about the best price to performance cards right now (thought the 8800GT/9800GT are slowly losing it).

If you have to stay below $100, the 9600GT and HD4830 are probably your best bet, but even those are often more than $100 after all is said and done, so it looks like you'd have to go with a 4670 or whatever, but I honestly wouldn't go that low. It sounds like an HD4850 or better is out of your range, so I'd just go the bit over and pick up a cheap 8800GT/9800GT.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
...and what's wrong with EVGA and BFG?

BFG has alifetime warranty because it NEEDS it. They are the most common cards to fail(die) after sparkle, and EVGA cards are rare, very rare, I've not found a place online which can guarantee they'll get one in.

Those are some great prices for 9800GT's.! 55nm?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
If I remember right with the 9800GT, some are 65nm and some are 55nm, but the architecture is otherwise exactly identical in every way. I wouldn't be sure how you'd be able to tell. The 55nm ones will just run cooler and overclock further (and often come clocked higher at stock, unless I have that wrong and all 9800GTs come clocked higher).

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isnt the difference between the 8800 and 9800 series was that the 9's had Dx10?

I may look into the one you were saying squall, and the msi one lord zedeck suggested. I personally dont like evga, all the parts of theirs i have gotten were junk compared to the other brands.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Your going on the same internet bull**** that gives Antec a good name. even though they are poorly built pos.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ooooh.
Thats all i can say squall.
I think if all goes good with giftcards today, im probably gonna pick it up.
Price is a little higher, but i think that litle bits worth it.
Althoguh i now need a new psu and mobo.:p

Everything in my computer is startin to die :( but video is one of the most important needs at the moment. Then i need a new psu. Running a CHEAP 580(?) watt. Only has 1 sata, and 2 rather small rails on it. Runin the 1900 of an adapter. And for some reason the adapter only uses 3 pins...idk.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
and if you go with that water block its good for overclockin xD

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably gonna go with one, as i currently only have my cpu on the water, with like 3 radiators:p Although my system really has to be cleanded out. Gonna soak it all in vinegar once i buy some more.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I've often found XFX and BFG overpriced, and they often have five hundred overclocked models that are hardly any different. eVGA seems like a decent brand, and I'll probably try them for my next card. I've tried PNY and now MSI for nVidia. PNY was good, but nothing exceptional. With MSI, one was really good (the 8800GT had aftermarket cooling and, at the time, was still cheaper than all the others with stock cooling), and the other was bad (the 8600GTS had good cooling, but the fan always ran 100% speed, apparently unless you have an MSI motherboard, which is a really stupid concept because it's needlessly loud all of the time).

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
PNY's imo, only lack decent cooling :) the water block will solve that.
Otherwise, they build sturdy products.

I've only been with 3 companies for nvidia gfx cards

Asus
Leadtek
Eagle

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
^_^ im not sayin it WILL die, im just saying they have high return rates, just keep it cooled, keep the fan dust free and it should last till your next upgrade.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
/looks at his 9800GX2 BFG

:(
:lol:
just getting belittled over here. Im usually just a regular Radeon kinda person. Usually built solid and are average against all the other companies. But the sli is very tempting to go nvidia, and the price difference between the 2 companies.

So as long as it works well, and wont fry, or decapitate itself, its good by me

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Well, it better work once I get the PC running again! Who knows, I may have permanently damaged it when putting on the waterblock... oO

·
Registered
228 Posts
im running the 512mb BFG 9800gt and i love it , its really fast . i can run crysis on HIGH at 30-50 fps on 1024x768 resolution with a Dell 19 inch LCD monitor

1 - 20 of 51 Posts