Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an image that i burnt of my copy of tomb raider and I can't figure this out for the life of me.

I got a perfectly good working iso because it plays, well perfect, on psx. The trouble is I used a handful of programs and different types of iso in order to make this work but so far im on 5 coasters.

I've tried Alcohol120%, CDRWin, CDClone, Nero, and Blindwrite using .mds/.mdf, .ccd/.img/.sub, .iso, and .bin/.cue so so far its a no good. I mounted the image to a virtual drive and it plays, just selected it from one of my folders and that plays as well just to confirm its not the image then I tried a copy of tomb raider that i burnt and it don't work on my ps2 (Breaker Pro, yes all my other burns work) and the same thing when i try using the burnt disc on psx.

Here is what happens (this is the burnt copy), the game boots and the logo plays, intro plays as well, but when it comes to the menu there is no music playing in the background. You can scroll around and mess with option but when you pick go to Laura's house or start a new game it starts to go but when the screen is getting ready to load the game, it just stays black for like EVER (failed burn). Now when i use the original cd and/or the image, the music plays in the background and also if you wait for a few second the demo plays but that's not important. The game starts when you select start a new game or go to Laura's house.

Now that you know the situation my question is is their some kind of copy protection that the image has that is not being burnt on the cd because i read that tomb raider has something in their extra that kinda prevents it from being a 1:1 copy or something that im forgetting to do when i try burning these types of psx games. Im not a noob at burning psx, i just hit a road block on my way and need a big tree or something to get through it.

A side note: I'm using Sony CDs and also I'm pretty sure its not the burner since i can burn every other game in my collection with out any problems.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
use a slower burning speed, and check that you are burning by selecting the mdf file, rather hten the mds file.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I burn at 2x with CloneCD and Alcohol only lets me go as low as 4x.

Does picking the.mdf file really matter if it burns correctly?

·
Defender of the Light
22 Posts
The .mds file tells Alcohol the place of all the information on the image in order to more accurately burn it. Best bet is to use that file while you're burning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i do use that since alcohol can only pick.mds and unable to choose .mdf. Can you tell me why the subcode isn't being detected on the cd or being unable to burn the subcode?

Also when i play the burnt version on psx, i get setloc of out range, what does that mean?

·
Defender of the Light
22 Posts
They say alcohol will do that and also clone cd is the ultimate burn program out there. There is a possibility that it is your drive type. Others also are complaining about this on the web.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just tried CloneCD again with both .cdd format and mounting the image to a drive via Alcohol with zero success (again) what the hell is in that image file that the burner/program ain't doing right

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Subchannel data most likely, pick yourself up a cheap LG/Hitachi DVD-RW and they'll do it perfectly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts