Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my Seagate Barracuda is starting to give-in, might as well get a new hd maybe around 40gb. any suggestions on what brand/model I should get (ide that is)

btw, saw a while back in one post that Seagate hd aren't good, why is it that? while my friend says maxtor hd's aren't good... which brand should i get?!?

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,194 Posts
I am not so sure about harddisk..

But if u ask me, i will suggest u to buy Quantum fireball..

Seagate? I dont know whether i am right,but from what i have seen so far, seagate sucks according to my experiences.. My housemate got a segate harddisk and all she got after 1 year was a harddisk that was full of bad sectors, many problems arised such as unable to read or write to disk eventho the bad sector has been marked. My brother is using a segate harddisk too, but his harddisk speed is far slower than my Quantum fireball, and now also full with bad sectors ( only 2 years ) . For my quantum fireball, what i can say is, GREAT! No bad sectors or whatever probs since 4 years ago until now.

But i may be wrong... Dont blame me if u r using Seagate or a Seagate supporter..

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,844 Posts
I agree with Nightmare 100%. Go with Quantum Fireball. I had a Seagate HD and it lasted only 6 months. At that time it was full of bad sectors and had a hard time reading/writng. I have a quantum fireball HD for 6 years and it's still going strong not ONE bad sector. In my opinion, I would get a quantum fireball HD.

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
IBM ...
I got 3 IBM's a 40 a 60 and a 12gig.There all 7200rpm and the 2 newer 1s the 40 and 60 are ata100.
They were benchmarked as the fastest 7200 drives when I last looked and I got them for a good price.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well thanks guys, i'll probably go with IBM or Quantum(which one is cheaper?), guess I'll try a new brand. I've had enough of maxtor and seagate, coz my first hd on my first pc was maxtor, the whole thing gave-in though it lasted for some time(more than a year I think). now my Seagate Barracud 7200rpm which I had only for ~8 months is now giving symptoms of break-down.

btw. i have a new question: do you put hd coolers on 7200 rpm drives, maybe that is the reason why my barracuda is starting to break

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
6,550 Posts
I've got an 80 Gig Seagate Barracuda and a 40 Gig Seagate Barracuda.. I haven't had any problems with these drives so far.. I stil have my old 1.7Gig Seagate HD, its 4 or 5 years old, and still has no bad sectors.. :eek:
Previously I've also had a pair of 6.4 Gig Maxtor HD's.. they developed bad sectors, and they both died as well..

aoshi: yeah, i have a cooler for both my HD's I didn't buy them with my present rig though, i just scavenged them from one of my old PC's, old 7200 RPM drives were much hotter back then..

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ackk!!! there is no more Quantum!, when I was about to buy my new hd (Quantum 40, 7200rpm) they gave me a Maxtor! I said wtf, then the clerk said Maxtor bought Quantum!

and my f*cking old seagate hard drive gave in right after i installed my new hd F*CK!!!! my N64 roms!!! F*CK!!! my anime!!! F*CK!!! F*CK!! F*CK!!!

anyway w/ my new hd I can boot win98 in 12-20 sec, but it is friggin hot gotta get me one of those hd coolers thingies

·
Registered
204 Posts
Originally posted by aoshi
Ackk!!! there is no more Quantum!, when I was about to buy my new hd (Quantum 40, 7200rpm) they gave me a Maxtor! I said wtf, then the clerk said Maxtor bought Quantum!

and my f*cking old seagate hard drive gave in right after i installed my new hd F*CK!!!! my N64 roms!!! F*CK!!! my anime!!! F*CK!!! F*CK!! F*CK!!!

anyway w/ my new hd I can boot win98 in 12-20 sec, but it is friggin hot gotta get me one of those hd coolers thingies
How do i know if my harddisk is starting to give-in?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.