Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a new WD 640GB HD. The partitioning of my previous 250GB HDD is seriously screwed up and I want to backup all the data in it to the new 640GB one, format the whole thing and partition it anew. The only thing is that I'm.....not so sure simply copy/paste would be the right thing to do here(?). Would probably take a lot of time as well and I'm on the look-out for a good file synchronizer and backup maker to do this job properly and quickly.

I looked into M$'s own SyncToy, but it can only do one folder at a time, I want to be able to do entire partitions at once.

P.S. Cloning is not an option, the partitioning of my 250GB HDD is already pretty messed up, so I don't want to simply clone it and bring all the problems into my new HD.

· Lurker
333 Posts
So I just got a new WD 640GB HD. The partitioning of my previous 250GB HDD is seriously screwed up and I want to backup all the data in it to the new 640GB one, format the whole thing and partition it anew. The only thing is that I'm.....not so sure simply copy/paste would be the right thing to do here(?). Would probably take a lot of time as well and I'm on the look-out for a good file synchronizer and backup maker to do this job properly and quickly.

I looked into M$'s own SyncToy, but it can only do one folder at a time, I want to be able to do entire partitions at once.

P.S. Cloning is not an option, the partitioning of my 250GB HDD is already pretty messed up, so I don't want to simply clone it and bring all the problems into my new HD.
it wont take near as long as you think it will, windows' "estimated time remaining" thing is very often inaccurate especially near the beginning of the move, it told me 19 hours when I first started copying my stuff from my 500GB to my terabyte, it only took a few hours and the estimate fluctuated alot, Sleeping/Work are good times to do stuff like that, you can do it in the background while you do other stuff too.

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my partitions aren't exactly totally screwed. Its just that I used Acronis to clone my disc when I got the 250GB one last year, and ever since I've been experiencing weird kinks here and there; more problems emerged after an image restoration of my system drive froze half-way through and the entire system partition got deleted leaving behind unallocated space :dead: On top of that there are just lots of small, useless partitions which I want to do away with; I just want 2 primary partitions spanning the entire length of my 250GB drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.