Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making movies for my friends and stuff(they send me stuff they make) i put it on dvd for them. I usually use Nero 7 or vistas dvd maker to make them. But is there a better program to make them? with a simple interface is preferable? Recently i have been less and less happy with the two.

·
Registered MSX user
1,625 Posts
Pinnacle Studio is a very good program, but price is quite high. Interface is easy to use and the program is not very heavy (after start-up).

Comments on Pinnacle Studio 12:

I just bought Pinnacle Studio 12 and it is very very cool :drool: And it does not even crash.
Cyberlink's and InterVideo's stuff are free if you got some bundled, but I don't recommend them.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A buddy of mine has pinaccle. it seems a little over complicated. I just need to make a menu and burn it with the movie. Although i still told him i need it:p just try it out i guess.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
I used to use only VirtualDub back in my fansubbing days... Of course I mainly just translated and did some quality control only. The only time I've really made menus with a video was with Nero...but that was awhile back. I'm sure it's a bit easier to use now, but Nero being Nero probably only the generic video formats.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
MKV is not exactly your regular vid format, it's more of an archival format, like a .rar file than can be unpacked and read by video players...

Therefore you need special techniques (and you certainly can't make a DVD using the MKV container format) to create one. The way I have come accross that can create them is a program called AutoMKV.

As for something that's free that's better than Nero, there is nothing..

A commerical product which you may prefer (although it too is very pricey) is Pegasys TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4.
http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/taw4.html

·
I has got Anatidaephobia
1,345 Posts
use winAVI video converter, it can make dvd's from any format, no extra hassles, has options for almost everything, its fast and lets you also select dvd sizes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
ConvertXtoDVD. It's easy as hell, has some nice menu templates, lets you do all kinds of stuff. Better than Nero Vision, for certain. Can convert most anything, including mkv. Grab the trial. Throws in a watermark, but that's it, so you can check out everything it does.

I recently used it to convert about 85 videos (avi and a few mkv) for someone as a Christmas gift. Never once ran into a problem.

AVI to DVD Video Converter Software VSO ConvertXtoDVD Download now

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,479 Posts
Yeah neither nero or vista wanna do a mkv format :( so it kinda sucks.
Nero 9 handles .mkv and .ogg now. AVIsynth Video Script (.avs) has been fixed in Nero 9 as well.

If you don't want to pay for an upgrade to Nero 9, try downloading VirtualDubMod. VDubMod can natively handle the .mkv container format. Open the .mkv and set the video and audio options to 'Direct Stream Copy' so you don't recode the raw video and audio streams. Then just save it to the good old .avi container.

You can also try downloading the Combined Community Codec Pack which includes a DirectShow filter for .mkv files which may allow for other programs you already have to use them. (I haven't confirmed this myself though.)

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Anyone got any good ones for linux? I just want the acutal .iso files themselves, it would help if anyone had a way to shrink a burn them as well.

I've got dvdrip, it seems to work fine for splitting the DVD up but all I want is an .ISO file, I can take it from there.

<trying to ween his Windows dependancy.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,479 Posts
DVD Decrypter can create an .iso

Nero Recode, DVD 9to5, DVD Shrink can all recode (shrink) double layer DVDs to fit on the significantly cheaper single layer DVD-Rs.

Yes, I know these are windows programs, but I came off of my Linux high a long time ago. Linux doesn't have much in the way of video editors (that and games convinced me to come back) that I can honestly say is any good. :/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts