Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering hooking up this old computer I Have laying around ([email protected], 192MB RAM, 20GB HDD) to my HDTV so I can kick back on the couch and chat a little bit and do some minor browsing. But firefox starts to run really slowly on it after a few minutes of running because of it's high ram usage. Anyone have an idea of what browser would work best with such a low-ram/low power system?

Also, I have a slimmed down XP installed on it, would Win2000 be a better option perhaps?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
about:config
browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers : 0

·
Registered
7,330 Posts

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Hmm, I can't even be sure if that computer supoprts 512MB of ram. I just tried K-Melon however and it works decently enough on the old POS. :p
I can guarantee you it does. :p

The only thing I could see is that if it has an i810/815 chipset, 512MB is the maximum (which wouldn't be a problem here anyway). Via/SiS Socket 370 chipsets of the time supported up to 1.5GB.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm... Well if K-Melon can run this decently I won't bother upgrading though.

Btw your comcast seems slow in contrast to mine... I easily hit 28mpbs :p

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Hmm... Well if K-Melon can run this decently I won't bother upgrading though.

Btw your comcast seems slow in contrast to mine... I easily hit 28mpbs :p
That's strange, and must be a mistake on their part. Do they even offer that, other than their "DOCSIS" service?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts

·
Registered
7,330 Posts

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's strange, and must be a mistake on their part. Do they even offer that, other than their "DOCSIS" service?
Hmm no, it's actually supposed to be 12mbps, but everyone I know with this plan gets 20mbps at least.

There is a low amount of subscribers here so that may have something to do with it.

I need to throw a video card in this old computer, the ATi Rage card doesn't like 720p very much. I have a GeForce FX5200 PCI I'll throw in there.

Btw guys, it's not worth fighting over weather the comptuer can support 512MB, I have no plans to upgrade anyway.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Who's fighting? :p

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
we aren't debating, we're discussing cooliscool's wrongness :p

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:rolleyes:

:p

This machine would still be running Win98 if Firefox didn't drop suppott for it. It ran pretty fast with Win98.

I wonder if K-Melon has 9x support.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I can guarantee you it does. :p

The only thing I could see is that if it has an i810/815 chipset, 512MB is the maximum (which wouldn't be a problem here anyway). Via/SiS Socket 370 chipsets of the time supported up to 1.5GB.
Given the CPU, I'm going to wager this is on an Intel chipset, likely an OEM, and that it is the Intel 810 or Intel 815 chipset. While it does support 512MB total, it (usually) can't take more than 256MB per slot (this is akin to most modern motherboards with, for example, four slots, saying that they take a certain amount total, but the amount per slot can't exceed a quarter of that total).

The Intel 815 motherboards with three slots could still take 256MB per slot up to a total of 512MB (meaning if all three slots were populated, only one could be 256MB, and the others had to be 128MB or less).

It gets complicated. It's best to check.

In the case of my Dimension 4100 with the Intel 815 chipset and two slots, it can't take over 256MB modules. Many, many PCs are a victim to this. Remember that custom builds were even more the minority back then. Most socket 370 systems on the consumer level did have that Intel 815 chipset (and Intel puposely built in that limitation since nobody wanted to support RDRAM...)

Edit: If you're willing to run Windows 9x, you obviously don't care about being current. If that's the case, use no service packs, or even just SP1, for Windows XP. I had an old machine with 128/192MB of RAM that did "okay" with Windows XP. Once SP2 came, the RAM usage seemed to go up quite a bit.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Exactly my point Zedeck :p for once, cooliscool should check his sources, and make sure he isn't talking out his arse :p

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I'm speaking from experience. I've been doing this for 12 years, you know. :rolleyes:

He said he wasn't sure if it would support 512MB of RAM total, not per dimm, which is obviously board dependent as I ran a single 512MB stick in my CUSL2-C board back in 2001 with no problems; however no 81x variant supported more than that total.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Aren't websites themselves the hogs as well nowadays? All these flashy (no pun intended) webpages with huge images and terrible animations. I do hope you block adds for that reason already? I think that amount of memory is simply not of this time and age anymore, but it'd be cool getting it to work.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.