Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys finally got me. I'm going quad this weekend. I just ordered a few new parts from Newegg for a new build for my mother. As payment she let me pick one part that I can switch out of my rig and put into hers, I chose my processor and she's purchasing a Q6600 in my favor for building her new PC.

I smell... SCORE.:wub:

Her new rig(a new office PC, mostly):
-E6300
-160GB Western Digital HDD
-2GB Gskill 800
-LG DVD-R/RW-ROM Drive SATA-version.
-ASUS P5QL-CM Motherboard.

This together with my old PSU and a few spare fans I have will make a good home PC for her, I'm sure.

Her old rig(a piece of pure crapitude):
Hp Pavilion dv4000
It's a 1.8ghz laptop celeron space heater with 128mb of RAM and a CD drive that pops out all the time for no god-awful reason.

I feel like a boy scout that did a good deed, and gets a good deed. Mostly, she's just happy that what she's getting will WORK rather than just build up crap on her eyes and fingers like the laptop does. I'm glad I'm being helpful. :p

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
You really should have gone with a Q9x00 instead of the Q6600.

Most of the recent ones overclock poorly, if you'll be doing that. I wouldn't even consider a 65nm CPU "this late in the game" as you put it.

If it had to due with price, alot of the Q8x00 and Q9x00 CPUs just had their prices cut. You could have gotten a Q9400 for $20 more, which is better in almost every way.

Either way, I guess it's a improvement over your old one, which is what's most important.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm actually pretty happy about it. I've got it running at 3.0ghz and I'm running circles around myself. I honestly don't know what to do with all of this speed. I think... I think I'll just enjoy it for a while.

Besides, it's not like our family is made of money. Less than 200 bucks was pretty damn good for a quad.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Interverse, nice avatar!!!
Very nostalgic!!!
WHY SO SERIOUS?

I can't say much about the Q6600, but it is a nice CPU, even though it's kindda outdated...;)

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Outdated? My Conroe was outdated! They stopped making those when... 2006? Good lord, I'm just glad that I have a quad, now. I'm having fun with this. This rig is now completely done and will be sold as is when I'm ready to move on. I'm glad my PC is now right where it should be.

And yeah, this is a great CPU. I've had no problems whatsoever, it runs cool and is keeping up with just about everything.

...except 3Dmark Vantage.

BUT HEY, what does!?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Conroes are outdated? Well, yours is nothing more than two Conroes stuck together.

Core 2 isn't outdated. I wouldn't even consider the Althlon X2 outdated yet. Pentium 4s and Althlon 64s even have alot of numbers, though they're long in the tooth and many years old, they're still more capable than you'd think. I'd consider them borderline outdated, but Conroes outdated? No.

Edit: Neither the Conroe nor Q6600 is outdated, but what he meant was that it's not current in Intel's lineup anymore. It's been replaced by the Q9xx0 series. Why do you think it's so cheap? Intel's trying to clear inventory of older parts.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
In the ever evolving tech world's, a few months past is considered outdated =) (joking). The Q6600 is several years old so yes, it is considered outdated in terms of the ever fast pacing technology field/industry.

·
Registered
119 Posts
people that buy things for e-peen either have too much money or too little sense why buy a Q9650 when you have a perfectly good e8400 @ 4.ghz waste of money imo.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Thats's the thing though. i dual is faster then a quad, BUT they hit the same clocks if their running on air. Unless you got serious cooling, a Core 2 Duo will hit a wall the same time as the quad.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
So? Im expecting 4.4-4.6 for the new chip. my e8400 hits a wall at 4.3 ghz. I wont go higher without serious voltage.

$330 is a low price to pay for a chip that was well over $500 3 months ago.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I always thought that having more cores (that are software-supported, of course) meant having more horsepower.
Two extra cores, a wider data lane and two extra threads should earn any quadcore CPU a good chance to gain an upper hand over it's dualcore counterpart, even if the dualcore is 0.33GHz faster than the quadcore.
And quadcores have come a long way since their first appearance - they are reliable, they have high level performance capabilities and they are software-supported in 85% of the cases.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts