Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been spoiled the last year running off a intel e8400 OCed to 4.3 GHZ a and my performance in PCXS2 is amazing.

Anyway i've been building a mame cabinet and I threw my old 2007 HP OEM in there, it has a Athlon X2 4800 with 3gigs of RAM. All of a sudden my frame rates are terrible. I know this is an older processor but its still 2.5 GHZ and all I want to run is Capcom Fighting Jam, Guilty Gear X, and King of Fighters 2002: Ultimate Match, yet even with these 2D games I am getting terrible slowdown at 320x240 resolution, is this normal? Also running Vista 64-bit (fresh install, no upgrade to service pack 1)

Ironically nulldc runs Capcom v.s SNK 2 flawlessly.

·
Join the Dark Side!!
266 Posts
what VGA do you have???, maybe It exsist a bottlenecking there.

·
Join the Dark Side!!
266 Posts
that card should be enough for 2d games.

I'm not familiar with the games you're trying to run, have you playing using the latest version??, in the case you're, then try an older version, as far as I know with the progress of PCSX2 some games run faster, other runs slower, and even other breaks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to try that, really don't want to spend the money to upgrade the motherboard and CPU just for a few PS2 games as MAME runs fine except for Gauntlet, NFL Blitz etc. although it would be nice to have King of Fighters 02 in my cabinet.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Yes, an OEM HP likely had some sort of onboard video, unless you upgraded it yourself.

By the way, that 2.5GHz Athlon X2 is about equal to a 2GHz-2.2GHz Core 2 (Conroe) in PCSX2, which itself is a few hundred MHz slower clock for clock than the Wolfdale you had before. This comparison is very rough and going on what I've heard from the Althlon X2 in comparison to the Core 2, and is a comparison in performance in PCSX2, not in general. This means that Athlon X2, if "translated" to the GHz of that Core 2, is about 2GHz or less, so you're definitely looking at half or less than half the same power (~2GHz versus 4.3GHz). Going by that, you should be getting about half the speed you were before, maybe a little more or maybe a little less.

It's one of the two, or a combination of the both.

Edit: I see you replied and it has a decent enough dedicated GPU. See my second alternative then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.