Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reworked versions of God of War and God of War II, featuring smoother graphics running at a faster frame rate. hits stores this holiday on a single Blu-ray disc, Sony Computer Entertainment announced this morning.

God of War Collection will feature both Playstation 3 games running at 1280 by 720 resolution and 60 frames per second. The collection, which will cost $US40, will also include trophy support for the games.

“We are excited today to announce God of War Collection,” said Scott Rohde, vice president, Worldwide Studios America. “Our fans spoke and we listened; thanks to our partnership with Bluepoint Games, fans and newcomers to the series can experience the epic God of War and God of War II saga in stunning 720p on PS3. This Blu-ray Disc compilation brings Kratos to PS3 even earlier than expected.”

The collection comes just months before God of War III is scheduled to hit stores on March 2010 for the Playstation 3.

The idea of a Blu-ray collection of the two PS2 games, which sell used for about $US35 total at Gamestop, first came to light in April when a survey leaked about the notion.
God Of War Collection Smooths Gameplay, Adds Trophies | Kotaku Australia

Fantastic! Re-releasing God of War 1 and 2 for the PS3 on one disc with updated resolution and silky smooth frame rate sounds rather fantastic to me, especially if you want to get reacquainted with the angry angry Kratos before GOW3 hits. And at $40USD it seems to be reasonably priced and personally I can't wait!

This begs the question, will there be more titles to follow suit? Ico and Shadow of the Colossus for PS3 anyone?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Dammit!

I went on a used PS2 game-buying-spree 2 weekends ago. I ended up buying GoW1 and 2.

But yeah, Ico could definitely use some PS3 lovin'. The game looks absolutely horrible in its native, lower than normal PS2 resolution. In PCSX2 the game looks and runs great though. Like Shadow of the Colossus, but without the overdone HDR-ish effects.

·
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dammit!

I went on a used PS2 game-buying-spree 2 weekends ago. I ended up buying GoW1 and 2.

But yeah, Ico could definitely use some PS3 lovin'. The game looks absolutely horrible in its native, lower than normal PS2 resolution. In PCSX2 the game looks and runs great though. Like Shadow of the Colossus, but without the overdone HDR-ish effects.
I almost did the same thing the other day. But the price they were asking for both games were a little ostentatious for my liking. This new price seems to be rather reasonable.

I just can't wait to see what they do with both games. Bluepoint only have experience with one PSN game and I am interested to see what they decide to do with the conversion. My hopes are they address the character models with fresher textures to make things look that little bit crisper, and no jaggies would be absolutely stunning.

And I can only dream of Shadow of the Colossus with improved lighting over the existing HDRR effects. As impressive as the technique was for the PS2 (individually designing each scene with its own lighting effects), it would be magical to see the game with some more modern effects.

·
Professional Spitter.
972 Posts
About time they got their heads out of their bottoms.

I mean seriously, 3 years of bad PS3 handling, about time they did something right (other than the PS3 Slim and the pricedrops, that is...) !

·
I Am Merely A Pawn...
826 Posts
wouldn't it be easier for them to restore BC and add them as downloadable games from PSN? i'm sorry but rehashing a couple of PS2 games and putting them on one disc isn't listening to widespread demand. it's using the demand to cash in on some PS3 owners desperation.
it's like the move that nintendo pulled with MP Trilogy.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
READ MOAR.

The games have been enhanced entirely.

·
I Am Merely A Pawn...
826 Posts
READ MOAR.

The games have been enhanced entirely.
of course they would have to enhance the graphics to HD standards, this is aimed at people who care too much about graphics as well on their current-gen games. bar that and trophies, there isn't much to warrant buying when someone already has the 2 games on PS2 and as a result, those people would either have to:
1. use their PS2's and that would mean setting them up again just to play one or 2 games and put them away again, which is inconvenient and will also mess up the arrangements of their media center (this is no problem for me but how many people would have to re-arrange their setup to put the PS2 cables in the back of the TV and plug sockets? i'm betting a fair few)
or
2. buy a compilation of 2 games they already have with enhanced visuals/trophies and essentially have to buy the same damn game twice when little else has been added to justify a purchase of 2 games you already have.

either way it's a pain in the ass just to play a couple of games.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
masta.g.86's solution:

Sell your PS2 GoW1 and 2 copies to Gamestop and buy a used copy of the PS3 "Enhanced Edition".

·
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are right noja, and with the survey that went out which asked what the public want to see in the special edition of GOWIII, the most common answer was to see the first two games brought to the PS3 natively, so I guess we can assume that Sony are giving the majority of the gaming public (well at least those who participated in the survey) what they really want. And I think it is a great thing, of course those who already own the game and have enjoyed it for years are going to feel reared for Sony doing this, but honestly I think that it is a great thing as it opens the doors for those who haven't had the opportunity to enjoy the game and for those who want to see the game in high def. Its fantastic not only for graphics and aspect ratio, but also for audio purposes (I am still unsure, but I have been led to believe and have read reports that the PS2 does not support 5.1 in games themselves).

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.