Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Banned
35,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PowerColor, a popular graphics cards brand owned by Tul Corp., has quietly released ATI Radeon HD 4770 graphics card for rather outdated Accelerated Graphics Port bus. The new graphics board has his chances to become a demanded product by owners of old systems wishing to use them for modern video games and high-definition video playback.

ATI Radeon HD 4770, which is powered by ATI RV740 graphics processing units (GPUs), features 640 stream processors, 32 texture units, 16 render back ends and 128-bit GDDR3/GDDR4/GDDR5 memory controller. ATI, graphics business of Advanced Micro Devices, recommends its partners among graphics cards makers to clock the chip at 750MHz and install 512MB of GDDR5 memory at 3200MHz.

Accelerated Graphics Port bus is present on out-of-date systems that typically feature outdated microprocessors and other components. Nevertheless, many users of such systems want to playback high-definition GPU-accelerated video as well as, at least, try out modern video games. As a result, the demand for graphics cards with AGP interface that support DirectX 10.1 application programming interface, hardware acceleration of high-definition video playback and other modern functions still exists.

Read the entire article at X-Bit Labs.

· Level 9998
10,591 Posts
Mmm... "to release" seems a bit misleading IMO as it's already in stock on Amazon. :p

Amazon.com: Powercolor HD4770 ATI Radeon 512MB Graphics Card: Electronics

$99.00 and free super saver shipping. This seems to be the fastest AGP card on the planet... no matter how you cut it. The only problem here is how AGP (as a bus) will treat the card... and more than that, how AGP plaforms (as a whole) are going to treat it.

· Level 9998
10,591 Posts
I never used an AGP card, but..did they ever manage to reach the AGP bandwidth limit before the switch to PCI-E?
That remains a mystery... :innocent:

No, but really, even the HD3850 was able to stir up some with the AGP slot. You'd have "thunk" that it ended with X1950XTX but... seems like it's still going strong for the most part. Or if not, maybe HD4770 will finally offset the bandwidth.

I think the problem here, though, is that you'll quickly bump into a CPU wall before you can even say "ah...".

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Most likely you'll hit the CPU wall before the AGP bandwidth wall indeed. The only systems I'd pair this up with would be AGP AthlonX2 systems. The problem is that you can't take it with you in an upgrade to a new CPU.

· Level 9998
10,591 Posts
Most likely you'll hit the CPU wall before the AGP bandwidth wall indeed. The only systems I'd pair this up with would be AGP AthlonX2 systems. The problem is that you can't take it with you in an upgrade to a new CPU.
Yeah, the HD 4770 typo aside... (gee... so many "typos" in this kind of economy :innocent:)

I still wonder about the move to PCI-E, but it's possibly to accommodate the need for higher bandwidth earlier on. Just that maybe they did not expect to move on to version 2.0 before version 1.0 could be saturated. Is it just me or are we... really overkilling quite a number of things?

· Banned
35,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
indeed, still said AGP when i checked.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the Geforce 8800 easily saturates AGP 4x

· Banned
35,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lowering the overhead in the transfer speed will improve future graphics cards.

....i think the GT300 series may suck PCI-E for all it has.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.