Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone miss the '90s as much as I do? Not in the sense of fashion or anything like that of course. I'm talking about gaming. My brother just got an XBox 360, and it's really made me realize how much I miss the days of the SNES and Genesis. New games felt new and fresh then. Especially with the advent of 3D gaming on the likes of the Playstation and N64. Most games nowadays seems tired and worn out, done before and bland. Watching my brother play Perfect Dark Zero only made me nostalgic for the old game. It seems that all PDZ is is a graphical rehashing with dual analog controls. XBox 360 can take its better graphics and shove 'em. They don't make games feel new, they make them feel like patched old games. How long must we go on before gaming becomes exciting and fresh again? I'm still waiting for a more outstanding innovation than technical specs to re-spark my interest in the gaming world.:cry:

Nintendo Revolution anyone? Let's hope so.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Well that is how it is with video games, you can only do so much. Even most games in the current consoles are not really anything to drool about, they have been done before. However, games like Dragon Quest 8 which had its roots all the way back in NES still shines, as part of the classics. As for exciting and fresh, until we have stuff like holographic rooms to make our own virtual environment (Star Trek) we will have our TV, console and PC gaming till then.

·
Is it a dream...
616 Posts
I feel exactly like you man. Games today just feel the same. And they are far too easy. you beat most games today in a day or two. man, back in the nes days not only was a game hard, but when you died it would laugh at ya. *grumble* kids these days *grumble.* Also its almost impossible to buy games without reading a review anymore. Theres just so much crap out there. again, back in the day i used to just go into a store, grab a game, and most of the time it was great (aside from a choice few.) But right now I don't feel like the revolution is going change anything. I just have this gut feeling that were gonna see a metric F***ton of "shake the controller!" "Chop the food!" "look like a complete ass waving a remote in the air!" type games and only about once a year get a nice, solid, game with unique elements that make you feel all tingly inside like in the old days...

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
I understand you zcal. And I respect your feelings. Feelings that new generation can't understand anyway.
Long ago, 5 of every 10 games I play were innovative in their own way. When you pick your controller and LIVE the game. Graphics weren't perfect. But it was the feel. It made us believe in gaming.
If I keep talking about it, I won't finish today. So I'll better stop and run X old game now for memories.

What should I pick now? ^^"

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Project Epsilon said:
Games today just feel the same. And they are far too easy. you beat most games today in a day or two.
Huh? :p I don't, while I pretty much finished every NES and Genesis game I rented for no longer than a day and half, back in the day.

I'll agree that the games back in the Genesis / SNES era had much more charm. Or, at least, so it appears to me.

·
band
4,912 Posts
Huh? I don't, while I pretty much finished every NES and Genesis game I rented for no longer than a day and half, back in the day.
thats cuz now ur old like the rest of us...

·
Is it a dream...
616 Posts
OH! Remember when you could keep playing a game just to get a high score! I used to play Balloon Fight like mad just to get even one little point higher. no endings, no unlockables, just points. thats all ya needed.
and for Cloud- how 'bout some Guardian Legend! god i love that game. infact... I think i'm going to go play some now!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yeah, I hear what you all are saying. I personally miss the days of Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country (those were what I grew up with). I've pretty much given up on next-gen consoles, as the games don't appeal to me. For instance, the only reason I'd pick up a PSP is to emulate SNES :p

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Ya I really miss the days of NES and Genesis (because I owned those two) I could play Mario 1 and 3 over and over again and seem to never get sick of it, with genesis, the games were so colorful and fun that there's no way you couldn't have fun playing them.

I also miss the early to mid Playstation one timeframe. There were tons of great games and with 3D, it added a whole new dimension to gaming (seriously) :p

I find games now a ways are very few. Ther just aren't as many games due to graphics and development time. When there is a great game released it's nice and all, but I miss when I could go to an electronics store, look for a game and find one no matter what, now we only have a handful of games a year we really seem to want.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
I think my view is very different from most. I love the gameplay of the old games, and that they offer a challange. But there are some true gems among the newer games too, with the Gothic series as a champion.... Boy did I laugh then a retarderd Gamespot reviewer gave the game a fairly bad review and blaimed it on that it was "Too hard" and "Took time to get into"... we Gothic fans only have a few complains and that is that it's "Too easy", and "Could use even more depth"

Anyway as for most new games and next gen. I love it, but not becasue the games have good gameplay but because I'm an absolute sucker for good graphics. I don't like the gameplay in most FPS's yet I have bought quite a few of them, just because I enjoy watching all the beautiful graphics. As a game developer I think my approach to these games are quite different. As I will stay at a place and think, WOW that's some nice use of normal-mapping... or why the heck didn't they use a disortion map instead there? it would have looked much better. OO, gawd that's awful why didn't they use a tile-able texture? or WOW that was a nice way to fake a volymetric effect without costing too many fps.... oo is anyone still reading? :p that's me lol.

THE IMPORTANT PART:
There'll be a time when gameplay innovation will become more important than graphics again. It'll take a long time though.... just the other day I was looking at the christmas lights around town... and thought WOW not even the PS5 will be able to handle this many light sources.... so anyone got 20 years? :D but we will get there.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
D.D. said:
thats cuz now ur old like the rest of us...
Actually, I peaked at my 1337 gaming skills up until only a few years ago, right before I quit UT and started gaming a whole lot less alltogether. :p

No, I'm serious. Most games I play nowadays are certainly bigger in content, and require more time from me to play through. These are PC games, however.. I hardly play console games anymore. Although most of my DC games are certainly bigger than my once beloved NES and Genesis games.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
How about a game of Double Dragon 2 anyone? :D

I bought my DC to play NES games, need I say more?

After that I started to love DC games just as much, because to me they were something new. I never had a highend pc, so DC games looked good by my standards in 2003. But in most games it's the gameplay in combination with graphics that make it so great. It was the first console with nice clean 3d graphics, add that on top of some very nice games, and it made it a new experience on top of the one that my NES gave me.

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Hm... after countless threads and discussion re old games, I think maybe it really is because we were young and impressionable then. Give a kid nowadays a oldies game and they'll retch it out.

Betcha come their time, they'll be whining that new games aren't as good as their classics on the PS3 and XBox 360, with a nod to PS2 games.

But personally, it's unfair to generalize. I love the MGS series, and Shadow Hearts too. However, I must agree, most games seem to be just glitz....

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
It's not that there aren't great games these days, but just that there seems to be so few, focus seems to be a lot on graphics and not so much on story or new gameplay elements. Ya sure they'll throw in "Geomod Technology" or something, but nothing spectacular.

Yes indeed, we do see some new games with a new gameplay aspect that just rocks, but it seems to be all about money money money (I mean yes it makes sense for the company) But they keep repeating the same formula over and over.

Okay what does good? Ummm FPS with fancy graphics. Okay! Lets throw 50 of those games out by Q4 and also make a bunch of crappy street racing games with lots of "sweet" rap tunes ...

Well you know what I mean; hopefully.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Kraelis said:
Hm... after countless threads and discussion re old games, I think maybe it really is because we were young and impressionable then. Give a kid nowadays a oldies game and they'll retch it out.
bingo.there is no other reason than this one. the majority of us have played too many games up to this point. we are no longer impressed by new games, as we've seen just about everything. is this the developers fault? no. there is only so much one can invent in the gaming industry. back then, not only was everything new and unseen, but everything was new and unseen to us. back in the day, i could play horrible games over and over because i didn't know they were bad. what would i have to compare them to? i'd be hard pressed to find a seasoned gamer who could play one of those 2-hours-to-finish games over and over and over again, even if it were a "classic" one. why are so many people quick to knock down new games and praise the old ones? because they've been engraved in our mind since the "impressionable youth" days and hold a special place in their heart.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I agree completely zcal.. but for sure, it's in part due to the fact that Kraelis pointed out.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I admit that being a kid back then probably lends to my longing for the "good ol' days". However, I still think that I'm truly fond of the '90s because video games were going through such huge changes at the time that we were just constantly hit with new innovations. Whether it be the SNES's SuperFX, the use of CDs instead of cartridges, or the advent of analog control on home consoles, those things were all so totally different than anything that preceeded. Even the oddballs that didn't fair so well (Sega CD, 32X, Virtual Boy) had their own special charm.

It's sad that you're probably right, Project Epsilon, about the clout of ridiculous games we're going to get wacked with because of Nintendo's new baby. But I just can't help but wonder how f***ing sweet it would be to tear through a Star Wars game with a virtual light saber in my hands. :thumb:

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
as we've seen just about everything. is this the developers fault? no. there is only so much one can invent in the gaming industry.
I disagree, like others mentioned they're hardly even trying with anything but the same old concepts now. Back in the NES days it was fairly cheap to produce a game, so developers were not afraid to try something different. At least this year we saw something somewhat new in Indigo Prophecy unfortunatly it was screwed up by a completely awful ending, and the worst love scene in gaming history :D

However what most people don't know is that the innovation is moving towards the shareware and even freeware scene! I've tried a lot of those, and it never cease to amaze me how innovative some people have been in this area.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.