Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted by BBC

A nine-year-old tribal girl in eastern India has married a stray dog as part of a ritual to ward off an "evil spell" on her, Indian newspapers have reported.

The girl, Karnamoni Handsa, had to be married quickly because she had a tooth rooted to her upper gum, which is considered a bad omen by her Santhal tribe in the remote village of Khanyhan, about 60 kilometres (37 miles) from Calcutta.

"Members of the village jury asked us to get her married to a dog or to face the bad omen," the girl's father was quoted as saying by the AFP news agency.

The tribe elders said the marriage would not affect the girl's life, and that she would be free to marry again later and did not need to divorce the dog.

"It will not spoil her future. We will marry her off to eligible bachelor when she grows up," the girl's mother told AFP.

'No regret'

The wedding - which took place on 11 June - was attended by more than 100 guests, who danced to the beating of drums and drank home-made liquor.

"I have no regret in marrying the dog Bacchan. I am fond of the dog who moves around our locality," the girl told the AFP.

"Bacchan is a stray dog who survives on left-overs. I will take care of the dog," she added.

Indian newspapers reported that local police officials had ordered an inquiry into the incident.

The Santhals - most of whom are sharecroppers - are a large tribe living in the states of West Bengal and neighbouring Bihar and Jharkhand.
Source: BBC NEWS | South Asia | Girl weds dog to break 'evil spell'

Eww.....oO

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK now that would just make it even creepier ten fold.....

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Hmm... well in any case we have to analyze things in context. Trying to apply our urbanized values to this particular case won't do us much good.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I wouldnt want to think of the honeymoon.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
Well i heard many weird things from india like marry with cobra drink holy cow pee or poo etc wonder what shafeen been doing

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
You guys think it's funny ? Please grow up. A beastily is a serious crime and cruel. I don't understand their things. It's sickening and disgusting. They believe in a superstition don’t think it is a superstition. They believe it is the truth! I feel sorry for them.

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
Our dear Jack Thompson could probably twist and spin this into something about "the evils of fable 2", where he still active :p

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Please grow up. A beastily is a serious crime and cruel.
If you'd read the article you'd notice that it was pretty much a formality and just a ritual. AKA just a marriage in name.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
If you'd read the article you'd notice that it was pretty much a formality and just a ritual. AKA just a marriage in name.
Yup, that's how I understood it. Besides the whole thing sounds like a joke... Its more like the girl just decided to start taking care of the stray dog, wouldn't be suprised if that's the reason why the dog was chosen as the "groom"!:lol:

·
!
6,312 Posts
even they worshiping the cows and Snakes(the ignorants)Not all India...as Mr.Radix said,there are a lot a lot of Superstition in India.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts