Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewere that a Gforce 2 MX working w/ a sound blaster live can achieve resolutions up to 2xxx*xxxx and i jes cant understand how the sound card can make the graphic card work at higher res. Can anyone clear this one out 4 me?

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
I don't know too,how far in rez can a GeForce2 ms go?
(BTW,600 posts!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :) ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes: :eek: :eyes: :emb: :yawn: :heh: :innocent: :idea: :mg: :smash: :D :p :rolleyes: :eek: :eyemove: :fingers: :spy: :love: :wink: :wink: :wtf: )

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
So I'm totally crazy?Sounds nice:) .
BTW,I really love this one----->:spy: .

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Just as you have 3d video acceleration you also can have 3d audio acceleration. The Live card has a spu on it which means that the card can ereduce the workload off the cpu giving it more power to actually run the game. That said most modern soundcards have hardware acceleration, but the sb live probably the quickest.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Originally posted by Betamax
Hey raz you've gone totally crazzy man!
I've always been crazy!:D :eyespin: :heh: :smash: :eyemove: .

·
Registered
230 Posts
My GeForce2 MX goes up to 2048x1536 in 32bit color...

And no, a soundcard cannot up your videocards resolution... The resolution that your card can achive is no way effected by your CPU or the soundcard.. Its all in the memory bus and the GPU of your video card that controlls the video cards resoulion.. Well, and your monitor of course....

·
Registered
680 Posts
DAN : Yor monitor is 17 inch right?
With my 15 inch and Winfast GF2MX i can only go as far as 1280x1024x32

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yup...

Windows can usually detect what kind of monitor you have (unless you have something really old or quite unique), and imposes resolution limits... Because why would you want more than 1024x786 on a 15" monitor? And actually, thats the resolution i use on my 17"

winfast = leadtek... you probably know that, just makin shure anyone else who reads this knows...

·
Registered
513 Posts
>Because why would you want more than 1024x786 on a 15"
>monitor?
I'm quite sure there's some masochists out there that wouldn't mind having a higher res on such a monitor, but you have to consider that the construction of the monitor itself can impact both resolution and refresh rate. I know of quite a few old monitors that have some..shall we say, "artistic" takes on what Windows should look like after being pushed far beyond their operational limits ;) This is one of the reasons that both Windows and X (under Linux or Solaris or whathaveyou) gives you a host of dire warnings when you attempt to make changes.

On a related note, just recently nVidia released a reference motherboard for use with the GeForce series. It included onboard audio that's supposed to rival that of the SB Live! series. While I'm not certain just what features it'd provide that puts it so far ahead of the competition, that's what I'd heard. I don't have a link to the article, but it was posted on Slashdot earlier in the week.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Maybe its the same SPU as will be in x-box. see above. after all one of my PC wiz friends told me that you can make get a PC with the exact components of the x-box right now.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Originally posted by Dan
why would you want more than 1024x786 on a 15" monitor? And actually, thats the resolution i use on my 17"
Bad eyesight perhaps. I need a high resolution in order to see the monitor without my glasses.:D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts