Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've heard rumors about this thing handling resources differently but is there going to be a price to pay to run this software?

You know, Vista had Dual-Core written all over it because without one; you were screwed.

I'm just not sure I trust Microsoft enough to not push hardware forward for an OS so they can make money. Does anyone have any info on what kind of system Windows 7 would run best on?

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Bro, this baby runs fine on a single core Sempron 1250-LE.

Faster then Vista in every way, and DEP NEVER showed up.

Taht was Build 7000. 705x+ is supposed to be turbo in comparison

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
Ok, I've heard rumors about this thing handling resources differently but is there going to be a price to pay to run this software?
No

You know, Vista had Dual-Core written all over it because without one; you were screwed.
WTF? Who told you this? It's completely wrong.

I'm just not sure I trust Microsoft enough to not push hardware forward for an OS so they can make money. Does anyone have any info on what kind of system Windows 7 would run best on?
Your machine is fine.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Vista sucks on laptops running 4200k drives.

·
Windows 8 Pro
1,150 Posts
Does anyone have any info on what kind of system Windows 7 would run best on?
A fifty zillion superultragigahertz core infinity infinity.

Tho I'm told the 51-zillion superultragigahertz core infinity infinity may perform slightly faster.

Silly response aside, it's already been said that Win7 will run relatively well on mediocre hardware. It has been known, for well over a year, that Microsoft intends to set the minimum and recommended specs for Win7 to the same as Vista. The code has been tightened up and there have been reports that the OS is generally faster.

Now mind you, "faster" is relative, and different hardware/software combinations may not all yield big improvements. The general consensus with Win7 seems to be "if Vista ran slow for you, Win7 may run better. If Vista was already running fast for you, Win7 won't seem much better." The system in your sig falls firmly into the latter segment.

I don't think Win7 will give new life to all those P3-500's out there. They are trying to tweak it to be usable on your average netbook, but what an "average" netbook is when Win7 goes final may be considerably different than what is available now.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
actually.... personal testing the min requirements for Windows 7 are lower then Vista.

and if Vista was fast, Windows 7 705x WILL be faster xD

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
It has been known, for well over a year, that Microsoft intends to set the minimum and recommended specs for Win7 to the same as Vista.
If that is the case, I refuse to use Windows 7 on the grounds that MS intends on keeping Wirth's law of software design alive, as thats the only way it can stay in business and be a driving force for PC hardware.

Don't like my view? Then frankly you can **** off.

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
actually.... personal testing the min requirements for Windows 7 are lower then Vista.

and if Vista was fast, Windows 7 705x WILL be faster xD
In my opinions, you should get a multi-touch touch screen to use with Windows 7. :p Then again, it doesn't look, feel, or use stellar when I put it on a touch screen... or maybe that's just build 7000.

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Supposedly my lenovo is multi-touch screen, though i think they were lying... because my laptop doesnt respond to multitouch with 7077

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
Supposedly my lenovo is multi-touch screen, though i think they were lying... because my laptop doesnt respond to multitouch with 7077
Well, you can test the multi-touch features out if you have multi-touch with anything... say... even your touchpad would work. Quite a number of laptops have multi-touch touchpad.

I'd test it more myself if I can get off my work... but looks like it'll be another month before I can do that.

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
A multitouch screen, not touch pad i have a track point anyway

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
If that is the case, I refuse to use Windows 7 on the grounds that MS intends on keeping Wirth's law of software design alive, as thats the only way it can stay in business and be a driving force for PC hardware.

Don't like my view? Then frankly you can **** off.

thats preliminary requirements, anyone can easily see that the latest Window 7 builds can run on far weaker systems then Vista..

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
A multitouch screen, not touch pad i have a track point anyway
I was just wondering if multi-touch support exists at all in the beta. :p All I can find are just marketting ploys and youtube videos of some demonstration...

And anyway, a multi-touch screen is... mmm... sometimes not true multi-touch. Take the DS for example. Supposedly, you can make it recognize up to two simultaneous touches, but it's not practical for the most part... or at least not practical yet. :innocent:

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
I loved it, but only 1 reason why I can't run it:

When I install my NIC drivers for Win7, it makes my XP un-bootable oO:eyemove: I have like NO IDEA how it manages to do that! That was Build 68xx or 69xx btw.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
its probably screwing with the NT6 bootloader

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
The only thing I have yet to do before I permanently switch to it from Windows XP is to find out how to get my monitor to run at higher than 75Hz.

Unchecking "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display?" Nope.
nVidia's custom resolutions? Nungh-ungh (works in Windows XP).
ReForce? No can do (apparently doesn't work under Windows Vista).

I need drivers for my monitor apparently (even though Windows 7 identifies it correctly by default), and I haven't found any for Windows 7 yet. If I try pointing it to the Windows XP drivers, it instead says it already has the best ones installed (which is odd, as monitor drivers aren't drivers, per se, but files that basically list the modes it can do). It's odd how Windows 7 can identify it, but it's "drivers" fail to let it do what it can.

Otherwise, I'm ready to switch right now, and plan to do so upon launch (January 2010?). A visual theme like Windows XP (the Royale ones) would be nice, but it's no deal breaker.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
You're searching the location for the drivers, instead of selecting them manually. It took me time to learn that annoying new difference in Vista's device management too.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.