Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gonna get a new PC, and I found one I like, and I pretty much have my mind set, but I would like to have your opinions anyway. It also comes with a 17" LCD monitor. what do you rate this PC, is it a good deal or am I spending too much money. The whole deal is $1600 roughly.

Processor Brand Intel® Pentium® 4 with Hyper-Threading Technology
Processor Speed 3.4GHz
System Bus 800MHz
Cache Memory 1MB on die Level 2
System Memory (RAM) 1.0GB
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 2.0GB
Type of Memory (RAM) PC3200 DDR SDRAM
Hard Drive Type Serial ATA
Hard Drive Size 160.0GB
Video Memory 128MB
Graphics ATI RADEON X300 SE PCI-Express
MPEG Yes
Audio Intel® high-definition
Speakers External amplified stereo speakers
Modem 56 Kbps* ITU V.92-ready PCI internal fax modem *Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.
Network Card Built-in Gigabit Ethernet
CD-ROM Drive Yes
Maximum CD-ROM Drive Speed 48x
DVD-RW Drive Yes, double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
DVD-RW Drive Speeds 8x4x12 DVD+RW; 8x4x12 DVD-RW; 32x16x40 CD-RW
Removable Storage 8-in-1 digital media manager
Diskette Drive No
Total Expansion Bays 4 (3.5"), 2 (5.25")
Available Expansion Bays 2 (3.5")
Total Expansion Slots 1 PCI-E x16, 1 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI
Available Expansion Slots 1 PCI-E x16, 1 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI
USB Ports 7 USB 2.0 (1 front in media manager, 6 back)
Parallel Ports 1
EEE 1394 Ports 1
Serial Ports 1
Game Ports None
Keyboard Description Premium multimedia
Other Control Devices (mouse, etc.) 2-button wheel
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That sound pretty good to me, other than I'd switch out the LCD monitor for a CRT. They get better color IMO and they are cheaper :D

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Yea you will be better of with a GF5700U or a R9600XT. Unless you are willing to spend 300$ to get a GF6800GT or a X800Pro.
Personally i would go for a GF6800 GT it's the best of it's range.
And about LCD monitors besides being more expencive they are IMO on par with CRT in color quality and better in other departments. I have a 17" BenQ FP731 LCD and i love it.

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
It looks good except for the GPU. You might want to consider getting something better, such as a Radeon X700 Pro/XT or GeForce 6600/6600 GT. They're both PCI-Express, although I don't know about their availability. That card won't get you very far in terms of gaming.

As for monitors I would consider a CRT if you're going to be doing some serious gaming (although it depends on the game). CRTs generally have a higher refresh rate and snappier response and are ideal for fast-action gaming. LCDs are superior for everything else though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Only problem I see is the GPU, if your planning on doing an gaming that is.
If I were you I would wait till something like the Nvidia 6600 GT gpu comes out, its supposed to be like $200 but like many times faster than any card at that price.
I thinks it coming out sometime this month if not already.
Also maybe its just me or it seems like $1600 is a bit high for a computer with a junk gpu

Other than that it seems like a pretty nice machine.

Edit:
I was looking around and found a good review of the 6600 GT just incase you want to see it perform:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2196

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
If you don't have the money for a 6600 or the vew X700 just cut back on the monitor to a CRT and you'll have plenty leftover for those

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
GO GET IT!!!! But if they can somehow change the GPU at the same price (or a litle adjustment) get it...

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Sounds like a decent system. But I agree with everyone else, change your GPU.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Kaotic Soul,

If you intend to use your new PC for gaming, I suggest IMHO you buy an Amd processor instead of an Intel one.

You can buy an AthlonXP 3200+ or an Athlon64 3200+, and you will notice the difference.

Max7.

·
band
4,912 Posts
cool system man. tho i think its better off waiting for the next gen cards (post x800s/6800s ) just so u can kick some arse in 3dmark :)...oh and uh..new and upcoming games :eyemove: I think that x300 will hold u over for desktop/internet/video tasks just fine.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK,everyone is telling me to change my GPU so I have another question even though it maybe a little stupid, how well will my current GPU perform??

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
The only thing I can say is prepare to buy an audio card....onboard audio sucks. (except for nvidia soundstorm)

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
>OK,everyone is telling me to change my GPU so I have another question even though it maybe a little stupid, how well will my current GPU perform??

What? The MX? Cack.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Looks good in general. Double-check to make sure the card/RAM/CPU isn't soldered in (that was a nasty trick). For next-gen gaming, and to an extent today's gaming, that video card's gotta go. Not sure what the market's like for PCI-express cards, though... not something I need to worry about... and probably something I'll ignore for the next year or so (That's gonna hurt... gonna need a new dual-athlon board w/ PCI-express... my current cheap one was $199 USD).

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Kane-Sama said:
>OK,everyone is telling me to change my GPU so I have another question even though it maybe a little stupid, how well will my current GPU perform??

What? The MX? Cack.
Well perhaps he meant the x300 SE he is planning to buy.

Anyway, the only problems I see are the monitor: It can save you a lot of money if you will buy a CRT, and with that money you can buy a better graphics card ;)
Btw, LCD screens can have these nasty missing pixels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts