Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up ePSXe today and while I've had to troubleshoot things quite a bit, overall it has been working very well for me. I have been able to get Suikoden 2 to run perfectly except for one minor graphic problem. Almost invariably I get this horizontal wave like bar moving down my screen sort of like what you would see on an old TV set that wasn't working right. I don't have this problem when playing PC games(that I've noticed, so it's at least not anywhere near as severe) or other types of emulators(SNES, NES, Sega CD and a few others).

I played around with the video settings quite a bit but haven't noticed any change positive or negative. Here are my current settings which run well except for the noted glitch.

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.7
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: RADEON 9600 XT x86/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
- 1600x1200 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
- Internal X resolution: 1
- Internal Y resolution: 2
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 6
- Hi-Res textures: 1
- TexWin pixel shader: on
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 0
- Framebuffer effects: 2
- Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: off
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 1/2
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: on [00000000]

As far as my system specs go, I have a 9600 XT(256mb), P4 2ghz cpu, 1.5 gigs of ram. Drivers are pretty up to date, video drivers are absolutely up to date. DirectX 9.0c. Monitor is a dell 2001fp.

Any other info that might be helpful please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help you guys might be able to provide.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fireblaster_lyz said:
I had that problem, since my com specs are idential to yours :p
Try lowering your resolution. (Using PSX native resolutions)

However, I am unsure whether this solves the problem.

Well at least I know nothing is broken ;)

I tried dropping down my res to 800x600 with no noticable effects. I've had a chance to play a bit more and have noticed that it only really appears when the image on the screen is moving quickly. i.e. when I am dashing around it is very noticable but when I am just walking around it's not so bad.

Given that you have the same specs and are having the same problem, I'm going to blame the 9600. Nothing ever seems to work right with it. I really wish I had just sprang for the extra dough to get a 9800. :(

Let me know if you think of anything else for me to try.

· Registered
1,517 Posts
Maybe this wave-like pattern is just screen tearing, you need Vsync enabled. I'm unfamillair with the Pete's plugins so I'm not sure if you can do it there or not (though I'm sure you can), but you may enable it using your video card's control panel.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I changed my screen res to 640x480 with no luck.

Then went and looked for a vsync setting. There's none for Pete's so I set it to "Always on" in my card settings. Problem solved. The game looks great now.

Thanks alot for the help guys ;)

· Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Mako Eyes said:
Maybe this wave-like pattern is just screen tearing, you need Vsync enabled. I'm unfamillair with the Pete's plugins so I'm not sure if you can do it there or not (though I'm sure you can), but you may enable it using your video card's control panel.
It definitely sounds like it. If the program is drawing a new frame just a tiny bit slower/faster than the monitor (like 58-59.8/60), it will tear but very slowly, like what the original poster described. I've seen this myself many times while playing Counter-Strike. Pete's plugins don't have VSync options so yes, you do have to go into the control panel.

I'm pretty impressed that 9600 XT ran OGL2 rather well at such a high resolution :p. Do you know what the framerate was at 1600x1200?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.