·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

i usually start epsxe with the shortcut

epsxe -f -nogui

to instant "boot and play" without seeing the gui - very nice

...but HOW do i "disable" that dos info window? not hurting me or causing problems - just wish a "clean" desktop when playing in a window instead of full screen

one time configured, i do not wish to see that gpu open, spu open stuff... the emu rocks big time! - i know gpu is ok, spu is ok cd is ok, ok is ok and so on :)

any info?

·
Registered
136 Posts
As far as I know it isn't removable!

Question is WHY?

And I think I have quite a good answer for it! Whether it's true or not is another matter!

Lets take it, it was removed, it would mean that any PSX game would be loadable without seeing ePSXe anywhere! Doesn't seem to bad right?

Well lets take it further....
(made us story)

Big Bob, a programmer, and a Computer Fair stall owner, comes across this fantastic emulator, sees that disabling the GUI and the DOS box makes a PSX game load on the PC as if it was a PC game! He then has a "bright" idea, and writes his own "frontend" to ePSXe! with an installer and everything! he takes his copy of FF9, and burns 5 CDs, 1 is his Install CD, which includes ePSXe (renamed), then plugins to run it, and a BIOS! His config program, is able to select an API: Software, D3D, OpenGL or Glide, and a Resolution to run the game in!
Big Bob then copies lots of this 5 CD set, and makes up some covers! He takes it to the Computer Fair he goes to, and then flogs the CDs for $15 a set!

Big Bob becomes very rich, ePSXe and its plugins are very abused, the authors get angry and discontinue the emu! All because of one Black box??! Would be a shame if that happened, wouldn't it?

I dont know if thats the true reason that you can't disable the console window! but it sure is one against it being removed!

Happy Gaming! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got your point,

... but configuring the emu gpu to full screen have the same effect... instant full screen gaming (like all pcs games) - pressing esc - means instant quit - noone see that dos window (well, maybe that guy that use that pentium 233)...

... and i believe the majority of users use the full screen gpu, right?

... and why the coders of emu put that options to NOT show the gui (beauty logo, btw) and put that instant boot option? they, for sure, at tests phase do a huge amount of "boots" and they don´t want delays...

... i believe the authors have no worry about that big bob guy :)

... and the coders, genius as they are, know a fact: doesn´t matter how deep they force logos, texts, splashing windows, some guy (bob?) will try to steal they work and made some kind of crack or whatever... (or someone here never tried the ble*m emu?)

... well, i don´t care about bob - i care about playing my psx games at hi-res in my radeon and, you can believe: i thanks ALOT to the epsxe team to allow me do that - you guys - i must repeat - are genius!

ps: big bob is a LOSER :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by rhinoceroz
i got your point,

... but configuring the emu gpu to full screen have the same effect... instant full screen gaming (like all pcs games) - pressing esc - means instant quit - noone see that dos window (well, maybe that guy that use that pentium 233)...
You still see something even on todays superfast machines! Seeing it = curiosity = finding out what it says :)

... and why the coders of emu put that options to NOT show the gui (beauty logo, btw) and put that instant boot option? they, for sure, at tests phase do a huge amount of "boots" and they don´t want delays...
So that a program like ePSXeCutor can work well (which it does) :)

... i believe the authors have no worry about that big bob guy :)
Who knows? someone is always out to spoil someone elses fun

... and the coders, genius as they are, know a fact: doesn´t matter how deep they force logos, texts, splashing windows, some guy (bob?) will try to steal they work and made some kind of crack or whatever... (or someone here never tried the ble*m emu?)
True but getting rid of it basically opens the door for them!

... well, i don´t care about bob - i care about playing my psx games at hi-res in my radeon and, you can believe: i thanks ALOT to the epsxe team to allow me do that - you guys - i must repeat - are genius!
As do I with my GF2! so why is the box a problem? ;)

ps: big bob is a LOSER :)
he would be if he was real! :) but see one of my previous points ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don´t know, but i feel a smell of open source in epsxe - so, there are no doors to be opened, just windows to be opened - BUT NOT THAT DOS WINDOWS :)

let´s converge to a point: why not a "real windows" window? :)

... to be honest, i will be very happy if at least i can DISABLE THE TOOLBARS of that dos window - that will look more clean, don´t you agree?

·
Registered
136 Posts
i don´t know, but i feel a smell of open source in epsxe - so, there are no doors to be opened, just windows to be opened - BUT NOT THAT DOS WINDOWS :)

let´s converge to a point: why not a "real windows" window? :)

... to be honest, i will be very happy if at least i can DISABLE THE TOOLBARS of that dos window - that will look more clean, don´t you agree?
Its not actually a DOS window! its a 32bit Console window! :)

hehe, if you don't want the toolbars then get a real OS, like Windows 2000 :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, i will reinstall zigabytes of stuff to get rid of the toolbars... NOT!

the mighty powers of epsxe team will help me - i do a pentagram on the floor, put the computer in the middle, one big candle over the monitor and pray - very loud!

mighty powers - oh mighty powers

coders, saints, listen to my pray

get rid of dos windows from my life

don´t let me see the entrails of programs

as i never ever wish to not see my own entrails

amen - let´s go!

(send this prayer to at least 7 people and all your wishes will became real - and you will help that sick guy with that sick and don´t forget to send one one dollar to big bob pobox number.... hey! the moderators doesn´t allow that stuff!!! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it works! the pray works! aldo from www.aldostools.com create the below utility:

- quoted from aldo site -

*updated* SpeedUp Processes 1.41 - July 6, 2001 by aldo
This utility sets the process priority of your favorite emulator to use more time of your CPU processor and let you kill processes not shown in the Task Manager to gain more memory and CPU time. This is great for low-end computers. New: New command line switch /x will hide the ugly DOS window in ePSXe :), added other command line switches

- end quote -

aha! someone else consider that dos window in epsxe ugly - thank you mighty power aldo :)

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
I think the "DOS window" is good for debugging purposes. It logs everything that happens in the emulator so if something goes wrong then you can just look in the DOS window and find out the problem. I've found it very useful when trying to get games to work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
agree - for sure - the point is - all games i play works ok for me- blame the epsxe team - they make a emu SO GREAT that i see no function to show the debug info - things like gpu init, spu init, init core and so on...

the games that have glitches, for me, are simply unsupported... the emu is a wip and we are beta testers - and i love the beta-team smell of the forum - the guys that say SUCKS! the guys that say THANX! all that is very cool - very nice to share experiences and interests!

...to be honest, i wish the epsxe team put a parameter to show a very nerdy debug windows who expose the core "heat" and "full" with sprites, palletes, registers, dissasembled running instructions, realtime user memory changes (kind of trial and error gameshark:) and all the tech info a window can support...

...and another parameter to show zero (0) tech infos - just the good old video game fun...

...i understand emulation is a fine technique - and the core - the MAIN core of an emulator is great piece of software - a jewel - that dos windows is a little tiny part of that jewel... so... when i see a jewel, i remember for sure the rude cristal that one day it is and the hard workmanship - that´s what makes a jewel precious - the hard work...

so, what i am trying to say is:

let the jewel simply shine.

·
Penadinho
2,599 Posts
Well, it seems that I'm the only one who finds the DOS box charming... I really love it and hope ePSXe will keep it ;o) Maybe add an option to remove it for people who don't like it but it surely has to be kept!

Maybe just 'cos I'm a computer freak since the good old dos and I STILL use the command prompt for almost everything. It's nothing personal but I think people nowadays (especially newbbies) are getting too much GUI dependant.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
us, who understand the inner gears and who have a background, having such long road behind us, must do a pause and see with the newbie eyes...

question: what are newbies and gui-freaks doing here?

answer: they are "fooled" by the epsxe team! they are here to understand...

- WHY? daddy, why i put my psx cd on my puter and it doesn´t work ok? i put it on my videogame and it works! it´s the same cd! the same game!

- EPSXE? oh, daddy, it´s a proggy to make the cd... er... RUN...er... like my videogame.... LOOK! another version! will RUN better the cd - DADDY!! COME SEE!!!

...they just want to have fun with their pcs... imagine what doctors think of you when they see you in a drug store...

...epsxe is growing, it´s not in early 0.1 and expect newbies asking: what is dos?

- DADDY!! if i draw a monster in the cd with my wax chalk, it will appear on the game? no?....uh..oh...

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
agree - for sure - the point is - all games i play works ok for me- blame the epsxe team - they make a emu SO GREAT that i see no function to show the debug info - things like gpu init, spu init, init core and so on...

the games that have glitches, for me, are simply unsupported... the emu is a wip and we are beta testers - and i love the beta-team smell of the forum - the guys that say SUCKS! the guys that say THANX! all that is very cool - very nice to share experiences and interests!

...to be honest, i wish the epsxe team put a parameter to show a very nerdy debug windows who expose the core "heat" and "full" with sprites, palletes, registers, dissasembled running instructions, realtime user memory changes (kind of trial and error gameshark:) and all the tech info a window can support...

...and another parameter to show zero (0) tech infos - just the good old video game fun...

...i understand emulation is a fine technique - and the core - the MAIN core of an emulator is great piece of software - a jewel - that dos windows is a little tiny part of that jewel... so... when i see a jewel, i remember for sure the rude cristal that one day it is and the hard workmanship - that´s what makes a jewel precious - the hard work...

so, what i am trying to say is:

let the jewel simply shine.
Hmm, I don't know about you but I've had plenty of problems running epsxe. I go and test out some feature and BAM, it crashes. And the little DOS window helps me out immensely in tracking down the problem and getting it fixed. Epsxe is not a self-contained emu. It needs a lot of exterior elements such as the PSX bios, plus all the plug-ins, and they need to be setup differently for different computers. With all the plug-ins and settings it can sometimes be confusing trying to pinpoint individual errors.

But I do understand that people want a different way of displaying it, although I think the DOS window is pretty effective. I'm part of the DOS generation so it doesn't bother me as much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok,
as demigod79 say, epsxe is not a self-contained emu - but the plugins team do a great job too - the whole team is great!

...and we, as many of us, came from the dos age - many came from before dos and some have two times the age of the average age of the epsxe team - what to do? wish a cobol - like emu?

...to be honest, so few things bother me and a dos window it´s not one of them - sure i can live with a dos window - side by side with xenix shell, that dos window appear friendly...

...just wishing to see a final product with a final look :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts