Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gainward has announced the release of the first 128MB video card. It has a very interesting name: Gainward GeForce3 PowerPack!!! Ti/500 “JUMBO” ”Golden Sample” TM
You can find some info about it here:
http://www.gainward.de/press/geforce3_ti-200_128mb.html
Look at what they say:
With ”Enhanced Mode” enabled, the Gainward GeForce3 PowerPack!!! Ti/500 “JUMBO” “Golden Sample”TM runs at a faster engine clock and a significantly higher memory clock speed, resulting in up to 25% better 3D real world performance

Gainward GeForce3 PowerPack!!! Ti/500 “JUMBO” “Golden Sample”TM will be available in January 2002 at an estimated street price of less than 300 € incl. regional VAT.

But there's something strange about this: according to the "short" name of the card, it is supposed to be a Geforce3 Ti500, but the site says it's based on the Ti200 chipset. Why would they choose a name that has the word Ti500 if the chipset is a Ti200?

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
6,550 Posts
I'm kinda wondering if we existing games right now need that large amount of memory at all, maxed out the res.. i guess.. hehe.. well i guess it's the logical next step, so it's gonna happen sooner or later..

·
Registered
55 Posts
can somebody tell me the use of 128 mb's of ram.
most games today uses only 16 mb effective. the rest is slack or low used data.
if you buy that it's sad handy for later. but when the games need that 128, there will be more instructions needed, then available today.
so when needed, the card would run slow, because the lack of instrucions. not caused by the amount of ram.

if somebody would give me a couple of good reasons to buy that card. a the answer should not be "cool, state of the art, iwant all the newest stuff"

for the rest of us, let's wait and see when needed, the industrie has to offer to us.

"sorry for the bad english, iam Dutch"

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Is it just me, or is that the WORST NAME EVER? Jeez. 128 MB is probably absolutely useless right now, and by the time it's needed, it'll be much cheaper. The "Enhanced Mode" sounds like it's just an O/C. There is no reason to buy this card. I repeat: do not buy this card.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
yep.. More ram on a geforce3 ti 500 is pretty much useless without a higher memory bandwidth.. Unless games start to use 128 megabit textures.. Hehe.. FOr most of todays games, 64 megs of video memory is enough for most games.. But memory bandwidth is something even the geforce3 ti 500 needs more of.. It's the main bottleneck of every video card..

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
6,550 Posts
Actually, i think there are even using the ti 200 instead of the ti500.. kinda confusing really..

Gainward GeForce3 PowerPack!!! Ti/500 “JUMBO” “Golden Sample”TM is also potentially the highest performing GeForce3 Ti-200 graphics board ever built in mass production.

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Xeven
Actually, i think there are even using the ti 200 instead of the ti500.. kinda confusing really..
It's very confusing. The name of the card makes us think that it has a Ti 500 chipset, but actually it has a Ti 200. The name of the card is just as useless as the extra 64MB.

·
8+ Years
2,800 Posts
O well...I always hate Nvidia. Go ATI!!!

·
8+ Years
2,800 Posts
That 128mb reminds me of voodoo 5 6000 agp...It had....8x fssa.... :( it was also 128mb.... WAHHH I WANT 3dfx BACK!!! :(

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
Originally posted by Whoever

Due to the SLI implementation only half of that ram is actually useable. or is it a quarter? ... well its definately 64 or less.
Yup, 128 MB, divided between 4 chips = 32 MB. It's actually a 32 MB card! Jeez, what a waste, huh? At any rate, 64 MB is enough to run any game, and any upcoming generation of games. Hell, even 32 MB should do it for just about any game.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.