1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi to all of u.

I m going to upgrade my computer soon.
But i need advices to make my mind over one thing:
I can fortunately afford to get a geforce 3, well very good, i know it s the best videocard at the moment, that it supports new effects like the pixel shader and all the stuff, but i m questionning myself if I should take it or *simply*(yeah hard to believe, even for me...) get a geforce 2GTS/pro.
Since the Geforce 2 Ultra has been discontinued (and had very near results w/ the GF3 except in 1600x1200, but i don t care: i ve a 17'' monitor).
I also know that the videocard business is the fastest of the informatic industry.
So what could u say to me?

Buy a geforce3 or a geforce2GTS/PRO?
BTW, i also know (yeah, i know plenty of things :p ) that a Geforce3 can be fully used w/ a great processor.
That s great: I ll have an Athlon 1.33ghz soon.
So, no hardware problems...

I want to know also if there were people that bought a geforce 3
and are satisfied w/ it tough.
If not, could they plz teel me why (Bugs, instability, overclocking problems...etc)?

Thx a lot to have read this post.
I m waiting for ur suggestions...

Sawesdee ;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
whats wrong with you?

get geforce3! Leadtek's should be a good option :)

You'll thank your Geforce3 when Doom3, Max payne and those 2002 games are out !

Om Santhi, Santhi, Santhi Om ;)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Well, here's a question to ask yourself.
1) Am I interested in buying any new games that will take advantage of the GF3's abilities?

If you decide on a GF3 then you may want to wait till December because that's when the next line of GF3s will hit the market and that means a price drop in the current line of GF3s.

Since you've got the money and will soon have 1.33GHz why not go top of the line and get GF3.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah sure "waiting for" new products is a good idea but informatic is so FAST!
I guess I m going to buy a GF3 if anybody reports bugs w/ it...

Thx a lot for ur suggestion too..

Sawasdee

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you don't apply with Adair question, then I suggest get A Geforce II Pro, and O/C at Ultra speed. I wish I had done that now. But GeForce features are only now starting to be, being used.

If it were me, I'd skip the GeForce III, whcih I'm doing, and get Nvidia's next line of cards, NV25-30. They'll rock! Well, I'll have to wait and see what ATI's Radeon II is like.

Anyway, I'm waiting to get a nForce motherboard, hopefully they'll also rock!

S

·
0 Posts
Rargh, I would definately reccomend the GEForce 3 if, as you say, you can afford it. There may not be much call for it's features at this time, but for the future, you'll be set. Otherwise, I would reccomend the GEForce 2 GTS. I have one, purchased when it first came out, and it still performs every bit as good as when I first got it. So, IMHO, 1.GEForce 3 2. GEForce 2 GTS . I wouldn't reccomend getting and the overclocking a Pro. OCing can be a real problem if you are not careful.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
680 Posts
or, if you still confused, send me the money, I'll buy and test GeForce 3 for you for about 6 months. If the result OK, I'll send the card to you :D

-- eat Ultraman CornFlakes --

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think all those bad/missing links have finally inflicted brain damage on 404. (I'm refering to the ultraman cornflakes not GF3)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Originally posted by Enigma1982
Main difference between GF2 and GF3 is SPPED
I don't see anything else.If anyone see please tell me................
HRAA! HRAA!

GF2 only FSAA....

-- Ultraman Coco Puffs --

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
@ sxamiga

Too late for warning me sxamiga, I plan to buy a very good cooling system for my computer. I have already taken care of the GF3 OC tough, sorry! ;)

@ Enigma

Well, yes the difference is of course, the clock of memory, gpu core. But also performance issues (I know that a GF2 GTS can run 45 Mpolygons per second... And a gforce 3 about (according to nvidia previews) 120Mpolygons per second...)
There are also new effects supported like the pixel shaderring.

But the most impressive new one is the mrthod of FSAA...
A new method called Quincunx (if i remember well, it greatly improves performance issues w/ the fsaa while the GF2 was stuttering w/ them when playing w/ high quality textures...)
It would be too long to explain this new method but if u want to know,just tell me, I ll be glad to explain it....

Bye

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Originally posted by Enigma1982
Main difference between GF2 and GF3 is SPPED
I don't see anything else.If anyone see please tell me................
Actually, that's not true. The GeForce 3 is about features(which, in a way translates to speed). The newest feature is some kinda texel programming technique. Basing it on its specs the GeForce 2 Ultra seems a bit faster (GeForce 2 Ultra: 250 Mhz core, 460 Mhz memory, GeForce 3: 200 Mhz core, 460 Mhz memory). Only in the very high resolutions (1024+) can the differences between them be shown, and in the lower resolutions the GeForce 2 Ultra is faster. Basically, the more complex the game is and the higher the resolution, the better the GeForce 3 will perform. Still, it's going to take quite a while before any software comes out that will take advantage of the GeForce 3's technology. By that time the GeForce 3 Ultra or the GeForce 4 will probably come out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts