Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems like i gotta stick a little heatsink n' fan to the memory to OC it....but how does the fan get powered up? :confused: or would heatsinks be enough?

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
well, how far up core/mem can you go up to without seeing any artifacts?

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
I don't think there's any way to attach a fan onto the memory heatsinks. On most GeForce 2 cards with memory heatsinks the chipset fan blows the air onto them as well. At any rate I think heatsinks should be enough.

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Xeven
well, how far up core/mem can you go up to without seeing any artifacts?

I don't even wanna know that withour getting some insurance. :p Better to be safe than sorry....i won't have anything to replace a fried geforce.....and I certainly dont want to go back to ol' Pentium II 266! :D

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
well, just keep on trying higher settings until you can attain one that passes the stability test of the tweaker.. :p

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Originally posted by Shiori
I don't even wanna know that withour getting some insurance. :p Better to be safe than sorry....i won't have anything to replace a fried geforce.....and I certainly dont want to go back to ol' Pentium II 266! :D
Just go up little by little (10 Mhz at a time) until you can see some artifacts (snow effect or irregular textures). Then wind it back a little. The GPU won't fry unless you put it through some extreme stress. I've had experience overclocking my videocard and it seems like a relatively safe procedure. Just make sure to test thoroughly.

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't even realize I have to get the coolbits.reg before OCing it! :D good thing i looked at tweak3d.net.

·
Registered
189 Posts
my last 3d card was a gforce 2mx 200 64mb. without seeing any artifacts i can get 200 core and 185 mem so i change the heatsink and i attach a fan and the core clock go up to 220.

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm, so that means if the gpu chip has a fan, i can ramp it up to 220 safely? :confused: i've seen some mx200 boards without fans, only heatsinks.....

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
The GeForce 2 MX 200 cards don't need a fan. In fact, they hardly need a heatsink at all. They're really weak cards. And I don't know if overclocking the core would make any difference. The GF2 MX cards can still push a lot of texels around, they're just severely limited by their SDR memory (as with the GF2 family of cards in general). I leave my core speed alone because I know it won't make any difference.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i already have the 3dmark 2001 tests.
whit the core and memory clock set to 175/185 the result was = 2767.
whit the core and memory clock set to 220/185 the result was = 3136. thats 13.3 %

EVGA e-GeForce2 MX-200 64MB Tv out

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
IMO, 3DMark benchmarks aren't to be taken too seriously.... did you notice any framerate increase when playing an actual game? I recall reading somewhere (maybe Anandtech; I'm not certain) about oc-ing GF2MX... the conclusion is that oc-ing the core wouldn't give any significant improvements, however oc-ing the memory would make quite a bit of a difference. Just my $0.02 ;)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Come Dec. 25, I'm gonna be scrapping this junky Celeron 500/GF2 MX for a P4 1.7GHz/GF3 Ti 200/RDRAM/Intel i850... now I have some questions about o/cing that sucka (GF3, that is).

1) With a monster rig like that (yes, it is a monster rig ;)) will o/cing really make any visible difference?

2) If I don't add any cooling equipment, how much can I o/c the card without endangering it? The case is supposedly well-ventilated and cooled.

3) Which has more effect, o/cing memory or core?

As for 3DMark2001, I think it actually does reflect pretty accurately the abilities of your PC. But the main reason I use it is for watching the demos :)

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Originally posted by Asfaloth
1) With a monster rig like that (yes, it is a monster rig ;)) will o/cing really make any visible difference?

2) If I don't add any cooling equipment, how much can I o/c the card without endangering it? The case is supposedly well-ventilated and cooled.

3) Which has more effect, o/cing memory or core?
If you can get over 60 fps at the normal settings you won't notice any difference. (Most benchmarks are just numbers anyways) It depends on how far you overclock but there isn't really that much of a difference. You might be able to gain several frames when running games at really higih resolutions but that's about it.

Overclocking memory generally has more of an impact but I don't know if the same applies for the GeForce 3. The best way to find out is to try it yourself :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts