Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my Gameboy Micro comes nearer, I have to start looking for the games. Since the GBA has been around for so long, and I have never really paid attention to the titles, I got a lot to catch up on and need some advice :emb: Note also that a lot of titles are very hard to find because they're so old (Final Fight where art thou!?) So keep that in mind.

There are too many games I want to get, so I'll start by asking about the racing games. I just browsed thru Gamespot and here's what I found so far:

For road racing, I am thinking Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed. Simple reasons: 1 - it's NFS, 2 - it's not Underground, 3 - I can find it in a store. Any comments, for or against? The GT Advance series doesn't look too good to me. Also I prefer good tracks over all the tuning or "customizing" crap they spent so much effort to put into racing games nowadays. You can really tell if a track has been carefully designed and tested rather than modelled after a long rubber band.

For rallying, Top Gear Rally is king... right? VRally 3 might be the next choice - any objections? Again there's GT Advance Rally, which again looks mediocre in comparison. Sega Rally Championship seems like a huge disappointment :(

Finally there's action driving. Monster Truck Madness seems cool? And Drome Racer looks sweet too. I'm not really into Mario Kart, so too bad for me I guess. Also I'm not big on Crazy Taxi and Driver series. Driving thru a city like a madman is fun sometimes, but never really got me hooked.

Almost forgot to mention sci-fi racer, but there's only F-Zero series. Don't get me wrong, I luved it on the SNES, but perhaps it is low priority to get for the time being.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Don't forget the Sega Arcade Gallery has Super Hang On and OutRun...
IIRC it's a 'rare' cart, but I doubt it's expensive, just not common...
and yes I have the pack...
It has Space Harrier and After Burner as well...
I'm taping Full Metal Alchemist or I'd plop it into my Gameboy player to get the list...
I just checked EBay...only 4 games, but it's a good deal...l
I won't post any EBAY auctions, don't wanna be preferentual...but lookup Sega Arcade Gallery on the Game Boy Advance games section and you'll see some auctions...
:wub:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx. Yes I just spotted that title after posting this thread. I might buy it just for OutRun, but not for Super Hang On (I rarely like bike games). And the other two games would just be extras.

I know I can get many games on eBay, or other online stores. But if anything doesn't work, which isn't exactly rare on used cartridges, then it becomes a hassle. So I'll try to shop locally first, and look for brand new items online second.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx xRock I'll check it out...

Update: I haven't gotten the GBM yet, but I got an SP so I started getting games already.

I found a used Monster Truck Madness in EB Games and got it. Excellent game! The graphics are best. The cars are 3D, and it has a damage model! (Altho it's cosmetic only; no effects on the driving.) The tracks don't look as good, but still nicely textured. The turns and slopes and bumps prevent the tracks from being plain, so do all the obstacles presented by detailed 2D sprites. The environments vary as well, from indoor dirt tracks to country backroads to beach runs. All this is even more amazing for the fact that I didn't feel any framerate drops in any situation.

The physics is not bad either. On flat grounds you understeer easily if you go too fast; BUT there aren't many flat grounds, hah! Most of the time you are bouncing off the bumps or driving thru the bushes on the side anyway. Also the tracks mentioned above have two types: in circuits you go around 3 laps, and in rallies you go thru 3 sections of a continuous road.

Adding to the fun is the powerups. I won't go into details in all of them, but... I once picked up the speed boost right before a bump and I flew thru the air as the truck turned sideways, so when it landed it rolled on the ground as other trucks scrambled to go around it! I hope you get the picture!

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I got MTM as well. Really good game.. shin'en's pseudo 3D engines are awesome.

You mentioned VRally3 - incredible. A true, full 60FPS 3D engine with textures and everything. If you liked MTM you'll love VRally, even moreso.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thx, I'll try to find VRally 3 based on your recommendation :D

I was looking at Top Gear Rally, and found it both new and used. But I have so many other games to get I am holding that one off for now. I wonder how these two rally games compare tho.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
shin'en is awesome,
the DS game in my avatar is from them :)

I don't know much about GBA racers, sadly.
I thought GT Advance was pretty cool; that was a GBA launch title though, it's been a while since then.
Crazy Taxi was horrible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.