Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ride the Darkness
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gamespot has done a neat little preview for the GBM. It is slated to come out on Sept 19 (but it doesnt say if thats the date for Japan or U.S). It will go on sale for $99.

hum... it looks really impressive, though the screen is a little smaller but brighter then the SP's. Another thing it wont be backwards compatible with GBC.

I hope this brings the price for SP down so i can finally get one :thumb:

(Images taken from Gamespot.)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I preordered mine :D
I want a totally black one, but they only have black with silver plate or silver with black plate. I guess I'll just get a black and buy the black plate seperately. BTW, it seems the plates act as screen protectors too, so you just have to replace the plate if it's scratched.
In Japan they have a few other colors, including one that looks exactly like a Famicom gamepad. It looks better than the SP that has Famicom color scheme. Just check them out at Lik-Sang ;)
I was a little bit disappointed about the lack of 8-bit game support too. But I guess I could get a flash card and emulate it if desperate.

Is it just me or is anyone else convinced that Nintendo will reproduce the success of the original Gameboy with the Gameboy Micro?

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
$99 for a GBA of any caliber? Psh, yeah right.. Reggie talked as if it'd be around $50 at E3. :| Thank god for my DS - flash cart + emus = awesome.

Tsk Tsk N.

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,478 Posts
Well I tried my luck with the GBA and bought one before my trip to NJ but returned it soon as I got back.. and now they're presenting a smaller GBA? Err... sure whatever, I don't think they know the principes of Hi-Resolution Gaming..

Please release something worth of a Drive-In Theater ;D

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Samor said:
Hey. DW is right again. :p
;)
Guess we have just been around this game industry too long :lol:

Another gimmick by Nintendo...it should be no surprise. This is the same crew that cashed in on a "Play it Loud" campaign (colored gameboys).

The biggest benefit is the clearer screen, but it's only because of the tighter dot pitch..the sucker shrank from 2.9 inches to 2 inches...we haven't seen a screen that small since the original gameboy.

The SNES pad button layout and small form factor seems cool..but here is what we want to know:

It seems like it may use back lighting instead of SP's front lighting..what will battery life be like?

Will it work with special carts like "Kirby Tilt & Tumble" or BokTai solar pack?

How weird will we look holding this sucker close to our face to see the screen?

We don't agree with the price point...It may appeal to those who may not own a GBA yet....but we will stick with our SP :thumb:

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
Dark Watcher said:
;)
It seems like it may use back lighting instead of SP's front lighting..what will battery life be like?
the DS uses this - I was very pleased with how long it lasts

How weird will we look holding this sucker close to our face to see the screen?
I don't think that's a problem - many mobile phone screens are smaller

I have a DS however, not much reason for me to get this one. It's like buying a PSOne when you already have a PS2.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Well first of all, the whole idea of the GBM is to appeal to the rest of the market - anyone who doesn't bring a GB because it's too big for the few minutes it'll be used. The SP was getting close, but it's still too big for people like myself. IMO the GBM has gotten to the point where anyone wouldn't mind slipping one in their pocket/purse. This was the appeal of the original and widescreen Game&Watch; something that I wouldn't say for the SP or larger systems.

Having said that, DW's concerns are easier to answer:

The battery life doesn't have to last that long. Most people wouldn't spend as much time on a GB as the current GB gamers - kids. These new gamers will probably play as much as the mobile phone gamers, which is maybe an hour or two max per day.

Special carts are of no concern for casual gamers either. If they can put up with what the mobile phones can offer, than can put up with a few incompatible titles out of hundreds in the GBA library. Same can be said for the lack of 8-bit GB support.

Samor already pointed out that mobile phones have smaller and worse screens.

Finally the price... This is harder to explain. Definitely if we only look at the functional features, the GBM can't compete at that price. But considering the market it's aimed at - older casual gamers, $99 USD is a small and fair price for them (and me).

Now I have a concern of my own: if I ever put it down on my desk, will it go missing? :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.