Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Yeah, let's make an X-Box emu for tha PS2 while we're at it.
IIRC the nGage is a weaker system than the GBA. To emulate a system you need the system to be considerably more powerful.

edit: I apologise for sounding quite confrontational. It's been a long day, but hte gist is it's not possibly AFAIK.

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Kane-Sama said:
Yeah, let's make an X-Box emu for tha PS2 while we're at it.
IIRC the nGage is a weaker system than the GBA. To emulate a system you need the system to be considerably more powerful.

edit: I apologise for sounding quite confrontational. It's been a long day, but hte gist is it's not possibly AFAIK.
I find that ahrd to believe... I mean I thought the ngage was more powerful... how the hell could it be like that? I mean seriously I thought the debate was settled when ngage got tomb raider put on it then game red faction (with 2d sprite bad guys :) ) so yeah I still don't get how it could be smaller...

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Have you seen Sonic on the nGage? It's a port of hte GBA version and it runs like a pig. Unfortunately I was unable to find a decent spec sheet for the nGage to confirm this. Regardless even if it was more powerful (which I seriously doubt) it wouldn't be more powerful enough to emulate the GBA.

·
Registered
366 Posts
For goodness sake, the ngage is a mobile phone. The only thing ive seen it emulate at reasonable speed was using a Mame emu and then it was running a pacman type game. Tomb Raider runs real slow (which is another bad port) and when compared to the Gba running Need For Speed Underground the ngage looks pants!!

A snes emu for the gba is in development and even thats slow (i know its early times). So as far as emulators for the ngage... maybe a atari 2600 emu is as close as you'll get!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well if its that impossible why have wildpalm already made an emulator 4 it. its a gameboy colour emulator and it works on all the nokia 60 series phones

also i was thinkin the same the gba should be smaller

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
On paper, the ngage is much more powerful than the GBA (GBA 16MHz ARM, Ngage 124MHz RISC), but no developer can get off their asses and develop something worthy. Not that I care, I'd never buy that taco anyway. :damnyou:

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
ThUgLiFE said:
well if its that impossible why have wildpalm already made an emulator 4 it. its a gameboy colour emulator and it works on all the nokia 60 series phones

also i was thinkin the same the gba should be smaller

The GBC is relatively weaker than the N-Gage ( the GB/GBC specs are a joke : an 8bit Z80 Processor clocked at 4.19 Mhz , 8 kb of Vram, 24 colors in high-res mode on sharp screen ?) and thus could be technically emulated on the Ngage./nokia phones. Also to port a GBA/GB emulator on the ngage, you ll need at least an SDK for that. I could hardly find sufficient technical documentations about the Ngage, let alone any "unofficial" SDK on the net.

Yours,
-Elly

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Considering the immense poulariuty of the n-gage, I'm sure the n-gage 2 will do fantasticly oO

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ngage is more powerful than gba, but it has to run the cell phone stuff in addition to games, plus it doesn't have advanced 2d graphics hardware like the gba, so most of that extra power is wasted on trying to do the same effects the gba can do with no problem.(far more powerful for 3d though, which gba has like no support for at all)

Ngage could probably emulate 3d gba games(the few that exist, assuming they don't use any of the effects of the gba's 2d graphics abilities, I mean it has to be full polygons, not mode 7 type stuff)), but not 2d unless the hardware is really similar.

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
THe GBA is probably faster due to free ram.. I mean it only has to run games and the games saves and the like are stored in the cartridge any way. But I thought due to it running tombraider I thought it was pretty good like tony hawks on it is 3d where in the gba version isnt. Nvidia are working on a special chipset called the goforce for mobile phones and their first release is to out perform the GBA gpu by a factor of 25 what factor is this? I'm not sure...

·
Registered
118 Posts
tonyyeb said:
ATI's mobile chipset will be out very soon with R&D samples already available to manufacturers. That will make mobile gaming really come alive with "better-than-playstation" quality being touted by a UK magazine.

Bleh, and nvidia has its goforce, but forget about those, look at the MBX! The makers of the graphics hardware of the dreamcast, kyro, and kyro 2, bring you a portable graphics chip that is more powerful than dreamcast! Also, there is the nintendo dual screen, which I imagine will at least have graphics on par with the original halflife or quake 2(possibly much better if they use an ati graphics chip or the mbx), and the psp that will have graphics somewhere between dreamcast and gamecube.

·
old-timer
1,330 Posts
even the development of an emulator isn't a good enough excuse for droppin cash on that garbage

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Usually previews are exaggerated... I remember such and such saying the GBA had the poewr of a playstation but it didnt... the new ATI chipset if it is as you say will cost in upwards of around 800 USD considering most palmtops out right now have the power to beat the Playstation...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.